Datsun 521 Project

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah that's better. Still no charge though. You pulled a battery cable off and it quit? Definitely not charging.

With it running have someone watch the meter while you hold a quarter across each fuse one at a time.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Yeah that's better. Still no charge though. You pulled a battery cable off and it quit? Definitely not charging.

With it running have someone watch the meter while you hold a quarter across each fuse one at a time.

ok ill do that, so put the multimeter probes on the battery posts and then hold a quarter on each fuse one at a time. the meter shouldn't change right

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

You very well may need to change the bulb back to incandescent. 

there was an incandescent in there before I changed to the led and the problem was still happening. when testing the t, do I do it when the car is running and probe on positive battery post and other probe on the yellow wire?

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

Do you get the same reading at the regulator on yellow?

What do you get on the white with black stripe wire at the same plug on the alternator (ignition on, but not running)? 

at the t on the alternator, I have the yellow wire and a green wire, not black. green is reading .03v and the yellow is now at .71 volts.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

The wire that makes up the leg if the "T" should have battery voltage with the ignition on.

Can you post pictures of the alt wiring, and wiring at the regulator, showing all the wires at the harness side of the plug?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FEpyMxHDDcnnAtqmmrR8XZ9-nQWH1FizMH6AkAXJxq4/edit?usp=sharing ill have to take off the reg tomorrow cuz im boutta go to work. I don't think it has to do w the reg tho as the problem was happening with the old reg I had and my new one.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Put the bulb back in. That's the sense wire and it needs more power than what an LED provides.

ok. I put the probes on the battery and watched the meter while putting a quarter on the fuses while it was running and there was no change on the meter.

• Like 1

Looks like Lt Green/Red stripe. It goes to around the middle of the fuse box and does not need to ignition on to work. Its a 15 amp fuse and also powers the interior light. If the interior light works then the fuse is OK.

To work, the cigar lighter needs to be well grounded to the metal dash. Make sure the lighter it tightly screwed on.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Looks like Lt Green/Red stripe. It goes to around the middle of the fuse box and does not need to ignition on to work. Its a 15 amp fuse and also powers the interior light. If the interior light works then the fuse is OK.

To work, the cigar lighter needs to be well grounded to the metal dash. Make sure the lighter it tightly screwed on.

hmmm my interior light does not work either but all the fuses in the fuse box are fine. is it possible that the wrong amperage fuse could do it cuz I just checked it and there's a 5amp in there. Ill switch the right one in there anyways but from left to right, the correct amperages for an l16 should be 10,15,10,15,15,15 correct?

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Never trust a fuse by looks. Use a test lamp and check both sides to be sure power is going through the fuse.

ok, I had used a multimeter on them. do you know if the correct amperages for the fuses for an l16 should be 10,15,10,15,15,15 ?

Edited by njp.18
  • Like 1
43 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The return springs are, or should be, on the ends of the two e brake cables.

On the same end that I included a photo of correct? I don't see anywhere where another spring can be attached to though. Unless they were just slipped over the cable but what use would that do.

Edited by njp.18
  • Like 1