Montana Datsun Revival

Ok so we got the wiring problems resolved. All of the grounds in the wiring harness were a bit fried. Spliced in some new grounds and cleaned up all of the wiring and now it is operational… next I’m moving to the brakes since we burst the brake line when the battery hit it, and I’ve been needing to replace the front brake parts anyways.. 

we also realize we have an exhaust manifold leak at the head. The middle two cylinders so now I need to pull the exhaust 🤦‍♂️ 

IMG_4177.thumb.jpeg.0490194661120e68ab2e0e551e211f68.jpegIMG_4178.thumb.jpeg.31f74ad51b3a072605faa390992d85b5.jpeg70943974782__4BA1FE5D-D760-46AC-AF4F-F6D11C5AEFF6.thumb.jpeg.1785421895d303086f70b64da8dacf1e.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 months later...

Ok so I have some updates:

I replaced the blown brake line and replaced every brake part on the truck basically. The brakes are now working.

The truck has still had a lot of small nuisance things requiring attention. 

The clutch still has been engaging and disengaging weird, a full press of the pedal and the truck would not shift. This is after a lot of adjusting and reading on ratsun. 

I realized the truck had a pretty bad exhaust leak where the manifold meets the head, replaced gasket and problem not resolved could not find any cracks or anything. 

E brake was randomly locking up one of the rear wheels.

I finally decided I just needed to get the damn truck up in the air where I could see what I was doing, I have a friend with a lift so we brought it over there. Within 1 minute of it being in the air it was apparent that the little dust plate that is between engine and tranny was hitting the slave cylinder putting it at a weird angle, and also hitting the collector pushing the exhaust manifold away from the motor. 2 seconds with Sawzall and both the clutch issue and exhaust leak issues were resolved. 

Then we adjusted the ebrake to realize that the brake cable loop at back wheels was binding up on one side where it entered the drum, too rusty and cable sleeve damaged. So we removed it for now until I can get a new section of brake cable installed. 

While on the lift we also got the brakes all adjusted correctly. 

When I buy a house this year first thing I am doing is installing a damn lift. 

I plan to get this thing reliable this week while it is over there, we are finally really making progress. 

• 4 months later...

IMG_5993.jpeg
have had these wheels for awhile finally got around to removing all of the corrosion and polishing them. They are getting tires mounted today! 

Edited by sick620
  • Like 3

We got the new wheels on. Think it looks much better. Going through the fuel system now again 🤦‍♂️.  We had finally dialed everything in with the clutch and the brakes it was running perfectly went back to start it a couple of weeks later, and the carb was plugged up somewhere wouldn’t rev up and was barely pulling fuel. I’m over having fuel issues so I got a fuel cell, and new hard line. Working on installing that now. I’ll try to get better pictures as I work on it. IMG_6005.thumb.jpeg.ff2aabad503823aae872dbf3a588f282.jpeg

IMG_6006.jpeg

Edited by sick620
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Love the Patina and rust look!!!!!!!!

I myself would roll the stock steel wheels with whitewall paint rims white

P1000715.jpg

Thanks we also love it. You had said before you didn’t like the titans on the truck so when I put the billet wheels on it I was thinking “banzai will like it better now” haha I do like a 521 with stock wheels quite a bit, but I think we are going to stick with the old school eagle alloys. 

• Like 1

got the sequential turn signals finally

working correctly. Had to replace the blinker can with a led specific one. They worked before but didn’t blink all the way across. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, sick620 said:

got the sequential turn signals finally

working correctly. Had to replace the blinker can with a led specific one. They worked before but didn’t blink all the way across. 

I'm using those same lights on the back of my 521 ..

2 minutes ago, sick620 said:

So you beat me to it? Dang it I thought I invented it. 

Mine is setup to only do the blinker and parking light...

I did a second different light above it as a dedicated brake light....

I went a step further and even turned the side markers into blinkers too....

4 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Mine is setup to only do the blinker and parking light...

I did a second different light above it as a dedicated brake light....

I went a step further and even turned the side markers into blinkers too....

Now I need to one up you and have mine do a laser light show when I hit the hazards or something haha 😆 

• Like 1
Just now, sick620 said:

Now I need to one up you and have mine do a laser light show when I hit the hazards or something haha 😆 

You'd love what my son wants me to do next.... if you aren't aware mine is the truck with the stacks... he wants me to do a flame thrower kit so we can shoot flames up and out the exhaust stacks...

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

those light look pretty cool but lots of space around them. wonder if you could double stack those lights it to fill in the gap better

That's what I did by adding a separate brake light above it...

Screenshot_20240311_091937_Gallery.thumb.jpg.5832990b943379f3aa9da476379272e0.jpg

I wanted them separate from the turn signal.... I always hate people behind me when I am about to turn.. I swear they don't see the lights down low....

I wanted them to be sure they knew I was braking or turning....

Even added the 3rd brake light inside my heat shields.... they show brake and turn also....

Screenshot_20240311_092031_Gallery.thumb.jpg.e00a84ce81cffc4ec13ed383f7632dd4.jpg

• Like 2

I may have to do something like that as well. Though the space above it doesn’t bug me I kinda like the floating look. I just don’t really like how the brake light looks on these. 

• Like 1

Got the fuel cell bolted in. Was able to utilize the little tank inspection hole for the dip in the cell to drop down into. Kinda nice didn’t have to fab up any brackets or cut a hole in the bed. IMG_6021.thumb.jpeg.e0ddca7f5c51d2415c3aa43f091c3612.jpegIMG_6022.thumb.jpeg.603b1a35ccfeee4c3791230de5b4dfcb.jpeg

Disassembled and cleaned carb. Installed a tall one piece adapter, it’s going to be very close to hood when it has a filter on it we will see if it clears. 

replaced fuel lines and ran a new metal line back to the fuel cell and slowly working on cleaning up the engine bay wiring and odds and ends. Almost ready to put gas in and see if it runs. This freaking truck has been the most temperamental Datsun I’ve ever had and it’s technically not even mine. 2 steps forward one step back. Working hard to get it going for spring and powerland….

Kinda crazy- when we started this thread “datsungirl” and I were just room mates. Now we are married and have an almost 2 year old, in that time this truck has never been even close to reliable. It’s time we get it more dialed In. 

IMG_6059.thumb.jpeg.bd08ed26f075dead757e345c2a91ba17.jpegIMG_6060.thumb.jpeg.c159d4899ac4242cc4d0aa9f9294dfbf.jpeg

Edited by sick620
  • Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Fuel system is all working. When we originally had installed the Weber and adapter I guess we had stripped out the intake stud holes. So we had to helicoil it when we installed the one piece adapter. 

everything finally seems to be working like it should. Drove it to work today!

also got some marine vinyl and yoga mats and reupholstered the door cards. They turned out pretty decent for a rat rod. IMG_6138.thumb.jpeg.1f5e640e5626b229152a41196d7cd7b0.jpegIMG_6132.thumb.jpeg.bd8138979f1f4ce9af2f924ba39dd48f.jpegIMG_6131.thumb.jpeg.342d0001c7d7c6836298b7b52fc0b38d.jpeg

Edited by sick620
  • Like 2