On the hunt - things to watch out for?

Hey all, first post here. Don't own a 720, but I want one. Specifically a KC 4x4. Year doesn't matter.

I have learned that these things don't seem to last too long when they're in good condition. I've also learned that 720s seem to get thrashed here in Idaho... I've seen a number of clean looking 720s pop up for sale on facebook marketplace but none of 'em have been in Idaho.

So, the search continues. Any tips for me as I'm checking these things out? 720 quirks that I should keep an eye out for?

I am 1st in line for an '85/'86 that looks pretty stock. Haven't been able to take a look at it yet. Apparently the engine was replaced ~2yrs ago. Haven't been able to get a sense of where the replacement came from... not sure if there's any documentation for that. Seller says that the truck sat after this was done and that it runs but needs quite a few seals replaced and has a coolant leak. There's also rust out in the fenders. Attaching a photo of the truck and its rust. Where are sneaky problem rust areas on these things?

Thanks for any info you might be able to share!

- Teague

186328984_550959775891225_49179845893632

186481202_550959845891218_38371373784180

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not much aftermarket support for these but there is more for the 83 up. 82 and earlier halfshafts NLA less lift options ect.

Rust? Floorplans, bodymounts, cab corners the usual. Fenders are available but need work fitting. That wheel arch is going to take some time with a welder. Rust repair sucks. Take a trip south and start with a rust free version or pay very very little for a rusty truck

Good luck hunting.

• Like 1

The 720 4x4 is heavy so I would look for an '85 King Cab for the room, they have the Z24 engine that will pull it and the seamless bed with inner liner so cargo doesn't move around and dent the outside. An ST model is option loaded. Yes indeed, find he best you can afford and don't drive in Idaho in the winter.

• Like 1

I have a 720 in CA that I’m having a hard time getting smogged. I’m registering it in Southeast Idaho sometime next week. What part of Idaho are you in Teague? It’s not 4x4 though. White. Good shape. If you’re interested let me know. 

CC962C09-E6A4-4614-BE4D-FC03EC90CAC2.jpeg

532A254C-D757-4FA9-8804-AD1793DB6DA6.jpeg

• Like 1

Yeah California has nice rust free vehicles that are too expensive to keep on the road for smog issues. Shipping expenses are nothing compared to rust repair and you can't beat original sheetmetal. I switch my time from summer in Maine to winters in Florida. In Maine they have vehicle inspections because they salt the roads and cars rust to shit. I did a restoration on a 68 beetle from maine and what a nightmare. Everything gets corroded. I would drive my vehicles from Florida to Maine and everybody goes nuts over the rust free junk I drive. I did do a road tour with the beetle saturday with a mix of other old cars from a local museum. The welding for rust repair sucked but to have it in the road again was worth it. I am am a sucker to save something from the scrap heap but definitely don't recomend it for others. Mines blue. Same can of paint as the 720.

20210605_083830.jpg

• Like 1

Rear wheel arches, bed side seam for any pre 85 bed, front body mounts are the 3 worst places to rust out on these.  Because no one stamps parts you either ignore it, retro fit it, or make it yourself if there is rust to fix.

• Like 1

Hey all, thanks for your thoughts.

McFerg - that's a sweet looking 720. Pretty mindblowingly clean. Unfortunately, I have to have the 4x4, but thanks for the offer.

I'm gonna go check out this rusty yellow 720 today. This one seems real cheap compared to the other listings I've watched sell, rusty or not - I may be able to get it for $800. I'm thinking that as long as the rust out is limited to the wheel arches it's not the end of the world. Rusty arches (I'd use some rust converter ASAP) would make me feel a little less guilty about winter driving as well. Ideally this would be a daily driver.

That said, I'm certainly not interested in dealing with rusted out body mounts/anything more than surface on the frame/nasty floorpans.

If this one doesn't work out I now know how to hone my search going forward. You've helped me narrow things down to an '85/'86 KC 4x4.

• Like 1

OK. FORGET that rusty yellow one! I took one look and ran the other way. Holes in the bed, rust all over the frame.

Checking out an '80 tomorrow... so much for having honed my search down to '85 & '86!

I'll post again once I've found one. I feel like I've already learned so much just skimming through threads here. Looking forward to digging deeper once I've got one. Awesome resource!

• Like 1

That's a one year only truck for a lot of the mechanical. L20 engine is small and a high rever, good motor but not what you want in a 4X4. Also you will be limited to B series trans. With a Z series engine at least a C series will bolt up fairly easily and was used into the 2000s and is much stronger. 80 has the no longer available halfshafts. Same as the 81 and 82s but left and right are flipped. If this is going to be your first 720 83 and up has a lot more parts availability. Ripped cv boots just walk away.

• Like 1

Thanks for the vote of confidence Charlie but yes there are a lot of unnecessary challenges that can and should be avoided. My wife and I went shopping for a small 16 ft lake boat. I wanted 50 to 75 hp and easy to launch for 2 people and no major projects especially rotten floors. What did we come home with? We did the right thing and bought a 20 footer with 200hp seating for 9 and wait for it, A ROTTEN FLOOR! Glutton for punishment is what I am.

• Like 2