76 710 wagon suspension

No. Not for that price.

The HL510 (H10) is a 510 in name only and is nothing like the original PL510 other than is shares the same series engine. It does not have IRS and is not 2,200 pounds. 

This is a 4 door and automatic, neither of which is a plus for a Datsun.

That said I like the looks of the H10 more than the original PL510, but this is me. A two door with 4 speed and a pre '80s model year with the 4 round headlights is killer.

• Like 1
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Johnny76710 said:

Thoughts??? on a 1978 Datsun 510 4 door for 6,800$ or OBO. I kinda wanted a 510 but is it worth it I think it’s awesome. 
https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1442448/1978-datsun-510-for-sale-in-burlingame-california-94010

Gotta agree with Mike...........that later generation 510 simply doesn't command that kind of money, however it IS a great car & it IS in excellent condition!  Problem is, finding necessary trim parts & some "hard parts" like your struts on the 710 will be hard to find.  This later generation just never gained the following like the 68-73 510's 🤔

Now we know what to get Mike for his birthday! 😁

• Like 1

Yep, Jasper has/had a late 510 wagon in nice condition for a think $800 for sale in WA for a long time (low compression in 1 cylinder but spare engine available) and had a hard time selling. They are just not worth much. $6800 will get you a running driving 510 usually or something interesting at least.

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, Johnny76710 said:

Thoughts??? on a 1978 Datsun 510 4 door for 6,800$ or OBO. I kinda wanted a 510 but is it worth it I think it’s awesome. 
https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1442448/1978-datsun-510-for-sale-in-burlingame-california-94010

wrong 510 for that money 

wrong car wrong price in my opinion 

you want this kind of 510

Datsun's 510, a sport sedan for the common man, marks its golden... |  Hemmings

Edited by Ranman72
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

What about calipers for my 710 or caliper pistons for it I'm trying to replace them. Currently gong replace my break booster because it has a leak. I have a backfire coming from muffler I need to get a new catalytic converter along with muffler thats all damaged 

1 hour ago, Johnny76710 said:

What about calipers for my 710 or caliper pistons for it I'm trying to replace them. Currently gong replace my break booster because it has a leak. I have a backfire coming from muffler I need to get a new catalytic converter along with muffler thats all damaged 

Do you actually need the caliper pistons?  You will likely not find a "quick" part to replace.......likely need to find a brake shop to take them to, for rebuilding OR try Apple Hydraulics to ship them to for rebuilding.  Looks like the seal kit is still available, so that's a good start!

Apple Hydraulics might also be able to help with rebuilding the brake booster...........??

You might be in trouble with a caty conv!  At the very least, you will need to have something custom made using a California CARB approved universal caty conv.  Exhaust is easily custom made by a good muffler shop..............just no CHEAP way around any of that!  If you do get that done, a 2in exhaust system would be just fine.............2-1/4in maximum.  You will NOT gain any power with a bigger exhaust system..............don't waste your money trying!

• Like 3

I suggest looking for work arounds on these less common less popular models.  Unless exact factory spec is important to you, at which point ignore anything else I'm about to say as it won't help.

Brake boosters are fairly easy to interchange.  If you know the diameter of yours and the bolt pattern for the master cylinder, you can likely find a more common option that will go in place without crazy modifications or changes.

I would research if your struts are similar to other more common designs.  If they match early Z cars. then there are a variety of toyota calipers that are easily available and not terribly expensive.  If they match later 280ZX cars, then you can start heading down that path as well.  

Adaptation and modification is the name of the game for most of us.  Either parts don't exist or they are so expensive that we Ratsuners don't play much in that game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've rebuilt calipers before. It's really quite interesting and relaxing. It was the early '80s Toyota 4x4 truck 4 pot ones. Had to take 2 sets apart to find one that didn't have rusty chrome pistons. Lots of soapy water after de greasing them, steel wool, paper towels, small chunk of plywood, brake fluid. I thought it would be rocket science but If I can do it anyone can. I think I connected them to the 620 so I could use the brake line pressure to push the calipers out and sandwich the piece of plywood. Cleanliness is vital.

A booster failure is usually a vacuum leak. Vacuum leak usually affects the idle, again usually, stalling when stopping. Or idle falters when stopped and you step on the brake. Check the booster hose for cracks or loose connection to the intake.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Well hopefully I can find a set of calipers soon. Scary enough I rebuilt one side because it foze. I plan on getting them professionally done later on. So far its worked out thank god lol. Hopefully the calipers pop up soon like the rebuilt breakbooster I just scored on rockauto and a new break master cylinder going to have that installed next week. 

Edited by Johnny76710

I think the later 280ZX struts will work fine.  If you are using your original coil spring and it is the same diameter as the 280ZX spring perch, it should be a bolt in.  If the spring perch is larger, then you can see if your smaller coil spring seats properly in the larger perch (??).  If not, then you will have to swap perches or go to coil over springs. 

The earlier Z car (260Z) has a different "camber angle" at the lower knuckle, compared to the 68-73 510, the 78-80 510 & the 610, so I don't think that is what you want.  I am not familiar enough with the 710, but I think datzenmike explained most of the earlier!

• Like 2

240/260/280z struts will NOT work because of the incompatible spindle angle. Also the rotor is not vented.

The 280zx has the same 10 degree spindle angle as the 510, 610, 710, 810, S10, S110, S12, A10, 1200, B-210, and 210 and probably more.

Image 31 - 1979-83 Datsun 280ZX full front strut and brake assembly hubs calipers Nissan

$460 US???????? for 280zx struts that don't even have inserts?????? or rotors????? For that I would want new KYB inserts and rotors on them. Just keep your eyes open. I got a set with new (but very slightly rusted from sitting) rotors and pads from an '81 for $40 a side.

Currently, I have '84 Maxima struts on my 710. They are a couple of mm smaller diameter rotors than the zx but they are for a heavy 6 cylinder station wagon. The Maxima are just as good but a premium price is not paid just because they are 280zx struts.

iu2VvTA.jpg

• Like 2