76 710 wagon suspension

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only real requirement is that it fit inside for length OR be shorter. If shorter you can place washers in the bottom to make up the difference. I don't know what the B-210 insert length is. Usually 280zx are used, they are definitely shorter. Perhaps VW Rabbit? 

I might have a 710 strut laying around I can measure the depth. Take a while.

• Like 2

You either need to have somebody like darzenmike measure a known 710 strut, or you pull yours to measure, so you know the largest insert you can fit.  OR find the old part # for the 710 strut insert & hopefully find the measurements of that insert & compare to others.  Like he said, you can retrofit a smaller insert, not a larger one!  The MR2 inserts are short, as I have used them in ZX struts 😬

• Like 2

@datzenmike I’d appreciate if you could find the measurement that would be cool, I’m having issues with getting the front suspension worked on no one wants to work on it that I call up. I’m tempted to try the original method that you mentioned about replacing the oil with motorcycle fork oil.I also found that option in the cars manual. But if I could just get my hands on the correct inserts I’d rather go with that. This has been the hardest of all things trying to get it done .

• Sad 1

I like the oil replacement better. It keeps the original compression and rebound valving. MR2 or VW or even ZX are not for the 710. Like shock absorbers... one size fits all and just the mounting styles are different.

The 710 strut I have is exactly 41cm or 410 mm. from bottom to top of the threads. They appear to be the same strut for all years.

54302-U6026 (stamped below the spring perch)

• Like 2

i know this is for a 710 wago, but i saw KYB mentioned. i just did the KYB Gas-A-Just shocks from Rockauto on the rear of my 720 truck. i have yet to drive it more than just down the road to see how it drives with them. i can tell it sits a bit higher (probably stock ride height) than the old shocks on it, especially because the old shocks i could compress by probably placing a beer on it. they really didn't do much of anything.

Edited by A guy named Rick

Shock absorbers don't affect the ride height, springs do that. Some gas filled shocks extend fully when not on the vehicle. Might take 30 pounds to hold closed. This might lift the rear but very slightly.

7 minutes ago, flyerdan said:

Here's some pics of a fully assembled unit, hope it will help.  LOA is 27".  There is a one inch inset on the hub end, and it appears to be welded inside all around. 

IMG_20210410_132408.jpg

IMG_20210410_132432.jpg

IMG_20210410_132448.jpg

What would REALLY help him is a part # off of the old strut insert in that strut...........well, unless it is still oil filled like datzenmike said!  The needed measurement is the length of the strut insert body (not overall) OR stick a tape measure down INSIDE the strut tube to the bottom & measure up to the bottom of the gland nut threads.  This will offer a MAXIMUM length of the strut body that you can use.  The other measurement needed is the tube diameter..........the early Z cars strut tubes were a smaller diameter than the 75-78 280Z/79-83 280ZX.  If I was to GUESS, your 710 strut tube diameter is the later......2 inches OD.  With those two measurements, you can research what strut insert you can use, possibly with a SHORTER body length & use a spacer/washers at the bottom.  You could also theoretically use a spacer/shim at the top, but it would need to fit up inside the gland nut.  The 710 is a Wagon (yes?), so a little heavier than say a 510, but a ZX or an MR2 might fall in about the same weight, thus those strut inserts would likely work just fine............again, assuming they FIT inside the strut tube!  When you can't find the exact parts (strut insert), improvise! 🧐 

• Like 1

The 280z strut is never used because the angle of the spindle is different. All the rest 510/610. 710, B210, 210, A10, S10 and S110 (at least these and maybe more) are all 10angle and 2" outer diameter.

I measured to the top of the threads. I would guess there are no more than 1 cm or 10mm of gland nut threads till tightened down. 

25oC345.jpg

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Johnny76710 said:

@yenpit yeah I’m at a loss for the suspension at this point not one mechanic around town wants to work on my car. I’m sure if I brought them the insert then they would probably consider working on it. If I had the correct workspace and tools, I probably would try to take it on myself.

what part of California are you in 

33 minutes ago, Johnny76710 said:

@datzenmike  so if I was ordering for rockauto what strut insert should I order. I tired looking up the number you provided from the spring perch but all I find is struts mounts for a newer infinity.

Unless Mike can tell you, give you a part # that he knows will work, your other option is to do the necessary research (my previous post ^^^^) using whatever measurements you can come up with here or own your own.  You will struggle with parts on your 1976 710, cuz those cars kinda got lost in space..........nowhere near the parts support as the 68-73 510's, Z cars or trucks!  But THAT'S what makes your car unique! 😎

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Johnny76710 said:

What’s a MR2 and where can I find one ?

Toyota MR2!  So this is what we mean about thinking outside the box to use a part off another car, if your part is not available!  I have used the MR2 strut inserts (shocks), but was few years ago....maybe someone else can tell you exactly what YEAR Toyota MR2.........or try googling something like "datsun mr2 stuts" etc.

• Confused 1
6 minutes ago, Johnny76710 said:

Does anyone have a 76 710 flex plate? 

So this is another similar situation.............the auto flex plate for your 1976 710 with the L20B engine is NOT listed (again, a bit of an oddball Datsun, so kinda "forgotten"), but it is the same flex plate as a 1978 280Z.  Go to rockauto.com, look up "NISSAN (they do not list Datsun!) 1978 280Z, transmission-automatic, flex plate".  It is the same part!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1978,280z,2.8l+l6,1209260,transmission-automatic,flexplate,8608

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Johnny76710 said:

Does anyone have a 76 710 flex plate? 

Any 6 bolt mount flex plate from 240/260/280z and 280zx, 810*, or L20B any year or vehicle

Any year Z20/Z20E engine in the HL510 and the S110 200sx through '81. NOT the Z22E as it had locking torque converter.

The '81-'82 Z22 engine in the 720

* Somewhere around '81/'82 the Maxima switched to locking torque converter, so avoid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1