Z24 Heads

LTM

I don't know much about Z24 type heads and would like to learn. My question is the difference between a W04 head and a 10W head. How would the difference if any have an effect on the engine. I have a 10W head.

• Like 1
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The W04 head is from an '84-'86.5 Z20 Mileage option 720 engine. It has smaller designed combustion chamber volume that are 85mm diameter across and combined with the Z20s flattop pistons produces a 9 to 1 compression. Wo4 and 10W heads use the same cam and valves.

The Mileage option Z20 has a knock sensor in the block and an electronics package to retard the ignition timing in response to detonation. The W04 head has round intake ports. Used on a much larger displacement Z24, even with the 15cc dished pistons, will result in a 9.5 compression and you should use a Z24 head gasket.

Round Z20 and Z22 intake port top and Z24 'square' intake ports bottom.

01PUTcN.jpg

The W04 combustion chamber is flattened slightly on each manifold side providing a small quench area.

ce1gMsR.jpg

The 10W is a Z24/Z24i specific head with a larger volume, 89mm diameter round combustion chamber. It has square intake ports with rounded corners. The compression is about 8.25 to 1.

c0nl2it.jpg

To further address how a W04 head on a Z24 would affect it. Increasing the compression will increase engine efficiency as long as you don't exceed the gasoline's self ignition point. (pinging) Increasing the compression to 9.5 would probably induce some detonation or pinging on regular octane gasoline. Moving to a middle or higher octane might help. The increased efficiency (MPG) might outweigh the added cost of the fuel. Or you may just turn the timing back slightly to reduce it. Increased compression will increase the heat around the spark plugs increasing the chance of a pre-ignition 'hot spot' and you may have to put in a colder set of plugs. Stock are BPR6ES for intake and BPR5ES for the exhaust. You may be able to get buy running colder BPR5ES exhaust plugs in the intake side as well. Popular wisdom says that for every point of compression increase you can (sort of) expect (maybe) a 5% increase in power. (on a good day) So if the Z24 makes 105 HP it might make 110 after. (I'm being conservative here so feelings are not hurt because of too high expectations) Keep in mind this is not 5HP at all speeds only when revved out. It's (maybe) 5%.

For example I have it that the Z24 makes 130 torque at 2,800 RPM. This computes to 69.3 HP so + 5% is 72.7 HP so I doubt you will notice this.

• Like 2

I don't have a W04 head but I have 2 Z20E (EFI) two Z22S 720 and two Z24 heads and all squarish with very rounded corners.

By part numbers the Z20/22/24 share the same exhaust manifold.  Can you post a few pictures of the Z20 W04 head? and the exhaust ports??

• Like 1

You all have got my couriosity up on a couple heads that I have.  MIke any way of telling what vehicles these came out of?

First came with a Z24I.  Notice the Kangaroo on this head.  The Guam racers want the kangaroo heads for building the Z24s

Second is on my Z20.

DSC03130.JPG

DSC03131.JPG

Edited by Charlie69

LhEbhfN.jpg

10W apparently is a Z24/Z24i head. NMCA... Nissan Motor Company Australia??? It's not a stretch to assume a kangaroo might mean it was cast in Australia.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Motor_Australia.

I have two Z20E heads like yours from an '80-'81 S110 200sx. I assume the Z20E*/Z22E are the same other than casting numbers. They are different from the A10 HL510 Z20 and the truck Z22 in that they have that threaded hole beside the #1 exhaust spark plug for the engine coolant sensor, not sender for a gauge but sensor to tell the EFI how warmed up the engine is.

*I will say that the '80 has the sensor in the intake and in '81 it was moved to the head for a faster response and more accurate reading.

• Like 1

The sensor hole on my Z20 head is threaded but is not drilled (open) into the water jacket.  I looked every where for a threaded plug for that hole but was unable to determin what thread it is.  Not metric, not Americam, and not British.  I have many plugs on hand now that I bought trying to plu this hole and then I got smart and blew some compressed air into it and it just blew back out of the hole, the air did not come out anywhere else.  Yes I feel stupid!  LOL

In my search for the plug I came across another 84 720 2wd with the Z20 in it and there was nothing in that hole on that truck either.  This 720 was also a carbureted engine.

Edited by Charlie69

Charlie... it may not have to be into the coolant and only have to sense the heat in the metal. It's for the EFI to help know when the engine is warm enough to shut some of the start up fueling off and set leaner. It's not the same as the engine gauge for the dash which does read coolant temperature. Again I assumed.... that it was into the coolant. Perhaps not.

• Like 1

A guy named Patric Smith in Vegas has a Z24 with Z20/22E intake and KA sensors ECU injectors etc.

Temperature sensors....

Z20E and Z22E are 22630-P8100

S13 KA24E is 22630-N4200

S13/14 KA24DE is 22630-51E00

• Like 1