Z24 Heads

LTM

Mike I think you are missing the point of the tri Y intake manifold. The path is exactly the same distance to each cylinder. Carburated engines don't like different length runner intake manifolds. Many companies do use different length runners but some cylinders end up leaner or richer with different length runners. I know you promote slapping a carb on a fuel injected KAE manifold but to run right it's not that simple. The manifold should be designed different if it is to be run "wet" with fuel and air mixed together from a carburetor or "dry" from a fuel injected application where the fuel is added just before the intake valve.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I could find someone to it properly -I would copy the BMW M10 cylinder head . The Z head is half way there but need the quench . That would be a lot of welding ! If it could be done reasonably priced - best bang for buck 

3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

wcMqaW8.jpg

This is my answer to having no bends in my intake and all the same length. If you lift the slide you can look all the way to the intake valve.

When discussing individual cylinder fuel metering with the gentlemen at SpeedyEFI, they told that individual cylinder fuel metering is most beneficial in vehicles with differing and/or long runner lengths. I do not know the definition of "long", but I assume those intakes are longer than stock. Do you think the small gain in efficiency would be noticeably on your setup? 

Taking all the bends out is one gain. Having one carburetor per cylinder makes tuning the over all lengths easier. Longer lengths catch the third harmonic wave at a lower RPM, shorter lengths at higher RPMs. There are formulae on line for calculating this where you plug in all the variables. I found this long set up seemed to have more pull at lower speeds but couldn't fit the air filter on it so had to shorten them. Maybe just louder without the air filter felt more powerful? Just an ass dyno but... 

Long runners, the hood would not close.

UoPZw9r.jpg

Shortened by about 1/2 was better.

0vfiAtF.jpg

For a turbo, runner length into a plenum works.

1 hour ago, Madkaw said:

That’s what makes the EFI plenum nice . Long runners that fit under the hood . 

Nice for EFI. Not good for slapping a carb on and running them wet. Madkaw I think you and I are on the same page as far as fuel injection is the way to go. Carbs are fine for carb manifolds but when someone wants to slam a carb on a long runner EFI manifold just because they are scared of EFI drives me nuts. If you have the skills to swap/ modify engines you have the skills to learn EFI. Don't slap a toilet bowl on an EFI engine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
53 minutes ago, bottomwatcher said:

Nice for EFI. Not good for slapping a carb on and running them wet. Madkaw I think you and I are on the same page as far as fuel injection is the way to go. Carbs are fine for carb manifolds but when someone wants to slam a carb on a long runner EFI manifold just because they are scared of EFI drives me nuts. If you have the skills to swap/ modify engines you have the skills to learn EFI. Don't slap a toilet bowl on an EFI engine.

Well put.

One mode is about transporting a mist by drawing it through plumbing by a push from behind (more pressure, be it atmospheric pressure or higher than that by compressing it before it sees a throttle plate.

oh, and the other is plumbing of the flow of only air [port injection as reference] waves and air. there isn't a fuel distribution nor its mass involved.

I don't mind being wrong. that's when i learn the most.            but on the other hand, i should be a lot smarter by now if that were true

I had to be repeatedly beaten, before I would consider EFI (thanks) The old guys I know, well the old-er guys I know think it is a waste of time to worry about individual cylinder fuel metering, as even if it is true, (which they concede-sorta) gains will be negligible.

My counter when new engine tech is rebuffed remains the same, when we were running fast and heavy, with our backyard built beasts, anything over 1 HP per cubic inch was rare and damn respectable. Now there are modern "family" cars that make more than 1 HP per cubic inch. If that's not enough, then remember 1000HP motors? They were reserved for freaky jet fuel monster motor dragsters that rumbled the ground and had to be rebuilt after every run. Well now there are, albeit rare, street driven cars claiming four digit HP numbers.

These advancements are the result of things like computer controlled fuel, forced air and other "new" tech and they can no longer be ignored. (But, for the old guys who remember the government is not worthy of trust and realize the precarious nature of the electrical grid, the history of international relations and the problem of electronic pulse weapons, keep one smart rig that will run dumb) To survive free, redundancy is key (that's a fresh new original)

• 1 year later...