Transmission Disassembly Help

Poptartjake

Alright, I may have messed something up. Needing some help here. I think it got knocked into gear or something while I was putting the case back together. I can't spin the input shaft and this is what the shift rods look like (Top is flush, middle is sticking out, bottom is depressed). Here is the rear part where the shifter goes in. Any ideas what to do? Hoping I don't need to open it back up as I've already sealed it w/ RTV.
No description available.                               No description available.

• Like 1
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Top one is OK.

Middle one in in 4th

Bottom one is in 1st.

Two gears at once will lock the transmission. The second picture looks like the striking rod? The front of the transmission is to the left???? If forward, the shifter has to be in 2nd, 4th or Reverse. The middle shift rod is forward so assume the shifter is in the 4th gear position. Put shifter on and hopefully pull out of 4th. 

This leaves the transmission in first with no easy of pushing the 1st/2nd shift rod forward into the neutral position.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Draker said:

Looks like the middle rod is pushed out. Tap it back in? 

I've tried. I think datzenmike is right about both 1st and 4th being engaged (middle rod is out and bottom rod is in). I've tried putting the shifter on, but the angle makes it tricky to get it to seat properly. I got it once last night, but it was in the 1st/2nd position, not 3rd/4th. I'll try to get it to pop out of 4th this morning (fingers crossed).

Not having luck getting any movement with the shifter. Would loosening the plugs on the shift forks (where the springs/balls are) help them to move easier?  

Edited by Poptartjake
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

First/Second is good!!!!!!!! You can pop out with shifter.

3/4 is the middle shift rod.... just push it in flush. Block of wood on the middle one and hammer it in . NOT TO HARD or it might fly past neutral and into 3rd.

No, I can't get any real movement with the shifter in, it just goes forward/backward, no side to side, no movement from the gears. 

I've tried hammering it w/ a block of wood, but it's not budging at all. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Poptartjake said:
Not having luck getting any movement with the shifter. Would loosening the plugs on the shift forks (where the springs/balls are) help them to move easier?  

yes if you drive the plugs in too much it compresses the springs too much and won’t allow the ball to move up enough to clear the detent in the shift fork. Try backing them out a bit. 

it won’t help if you are in two gears, but worth a shot.

• Like 1
On 9/13/2020 at 11:03 AM, Poptartjake said:

No, I can't get any real movement with the shifter in, it just goes forward/backward, no side to side, no movement from the gears. 

I've tried hammering it w/ a block of wood, but it's not budging at all. 

You can't move sideways in the neutral gate because you're blocked by the 3/4 shift rod.

Pull the shifter into the neutral position and check that the bottom  middle shift rod has come out level at the front.

• Like 1

Then has to be in1 3 or 5th

Not 5th because the top shift rod is in the neutral position.

Has to be in first the bottom shift rod.

Put shifter in and pull into the neutral position then look and see if the bottom rod moved forward or not.

• Like 1
Just now, datzenmike said:

Then has to be in1 3 or 5th

Not 5th because the top shift rod is in the neutral position.

Has to be in first the bottom shift rod.

Put shifter in and pull into the neutral position then look and see if the bottom rod moved forward or not.

I can't move it into neutral with the shifter

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Poptartjake said:

I've had 0 luck getting the middle rod back in, so I'm feeling like the only real option at this point is opening it back up...

Always bench shift the trans before you put the cases back on.

Sorry I didn't catch this sooner. I may have saved you some trouble.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Alright, I know this is a bit of gravedigging, but it's needed. 🥳

I wish this wasn't coming 3 months after the fact, but my life inevitably fell apart literally as I finished reassembling the transmission. So, without diving into my short comings and personal failures (yippy!), I've come back to report that the transmission has FINALLY been installed, *mostly* all buttoned up underneath, and best of all, SHE RUNS!!!!!!

I'm sure you've all been here many, many years ago, but the amount of joy I felt when I kicked her into reverse, gave her gas and felt her move under her own power for the first time, oh boy. I was really starting to doubt myself after everything that's happened in these last 3 months, but to go from basically 0 experience wrenching to fully disassembling/repairing a 5-speed manual transmission and have it actually work, this means the fucking world to me right now. ❤️ Thank you to everyone here who helped me in this process.  

Edited by Poptartjake
  • Like 4
11 hours ago, datzenmike said:

So..... what DID you do to get it fixed? Last September it was jammed in 2 gears at same time or something.

I ended up having to split the case again, get it back into neutral, and reseal it. After I finished resealing it for the second time and before putting it in the truck, I confirmed that I could shift into various gears/back to neutral.

If I had to guess what's causing the whine, I would say either the TOB, or the front oil seal touching the input shaft bearing maybe?

Edited by Poptartjake
  • Like 1