Transmission Disassembly Help

Poptartjake

2 hours ago, Poptartjake said:

Na, input shaft was torched anyways and I needed a little extra clearance to slide it off.

Input shaft teeth so I had enough room to slide it past the counter drive gear.

Why not have cut both off and order the set?

• Like 1
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, Poptartjake said:

What do you guys use for these thick snap rings? My snap ring pliers aren't big enough and my needle noose just aren't doing it. I'm able to get one side of the ring to spread, but never enough. I can't cut it off either as it's too close to other components. 

ive got a lot of snap ring pliers. One of them always works.

• Like 1

It may be that pressure from the synchro hub is holding the snap ring tight. Try tapping the hub away from the snap ring to ease that tension. If that doesn't work, you can always tap the snap ring open with a hammer and screwdriver. Once you get it off, you may have to bend it back into shape to make sure it's tight for reassembly.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

It may be that pressure from the synchro hub is holding the snap ring tight. Try tapping the hub away from the snap ring to ease that tension. If that doesn't work, you can always tap the snap ring open with a hammer and screwdriver. Once you get it off, you may have to bend it back into shape to make sure it's tight for reassembly.

I did have to tap it a bit originally to even get the one side to start moving, so I'll try tapping the whole thing back a bit more and hope that helps. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I could be wrong but that spring shouldn't be there. It should be way over to the right. There should be two check balls between the 5th/Rev rod on the left and the 3rd/4th shift rod where the yellow circle is. Then two check balls between the yellow circle (3rd/4th) and the 1st/2ns shift rod on the right. To the right of the 1st/2nd shift rod should be a single check ball then the spring and the plug

11 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I could be wrong but that spring shouldn't be there. It should be way over to the right. There should be two check balls between the 5th/Rev rod on the left and the 3rd/4th shift rod where the yellow circle is. Then two check balls between the yellow circle (3rd/4th) and the 1st/2ns shift rod on the right. To the right of the 1st/2nd shift rod should be a single check ball then the spring and the plug

Eyy, that makes sense. 🙂 When you say plug, are you referring to the metal pill looking thingy?.. lol

10 minutes ago, Poptartjake said:

Eyy, that makes sense. 🙂 When you say plug, are you referring to the metal pill looking thingy?.. lol

I believe the plug he is referring to is a screwed in cap on the outside of the center section.....

They should have been removed to remove the spring and ball before removing the shifting rod....

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Crashtd420 said:

I believe the plug he is referring to is a screwed in cap on the outside of the center section.....

They should have been removed to remove the spring and ball before removing the shifting rod....

You assume I did things correctly. 😉 
But no worries, all plugs are still in and I should be able to finish this up now that I know the proper way to reinstall the last 2 forks.

Edited by Poptartjake
  • Like 1
58 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Make sure you find or have the ball detents for the shift rods. The rods go in first, then the balls, then the springs, then the caps/plugs.

I always put a little red loctite on the plugs.

I had all the rods in and everything re-assembled, but the middle shift rod wouldn't move at all, so I've now pulled all 3 rods back out, which was harder than the first time and that seems odd.
I'm thinking I should lube up the rods and inside the sleeves they insert into.

I need to clarify, there are pills that go in between the rods. They are called interlock or lockout pills. They keep you from engaging more than one gear at a time.

I'm sure there is an exploded view diagram that shows how the springs and balls go together with the rods.

Got all the internals reassembled on Sunday and it seems to all be functional, based on my limited knowledge. I can engage and disengage the various gears (not entirely sure which is which, though), however I will note that the sleeve that engages with the input shaft is VERY difficult to get to move. It feels like it has to be positioned absolutely perfect and force has to be applied evenly around the sleeve for it to want to slide (if I smack the end of the shift rod with a mallet, it moves without much issue, though). I'm waiting on a couple final parts like a new front main seal, shifter gasket, and the input shaft bearing, then I'll grab some RTV Grey to seal it all up with. Plan to replace the clutch before reinstalling the trans as well. 

I wanted to give a big shout out to Stoffregen Motorsports for babying my inept ass throughout this entire process. It probably wouldn't be rebuilt right now if it wasn't for him. I've also got to thank datzenmike for continually trying to help, even if we didn't seem to be on the same page most of the time. Draker also came in clutch a few different times with advice. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Poptartjake said:

Got all the internals reassembled on Sunday and it seems to all be functional, based on my limited knowledge. I can engage and disengage the various gears (not entirely sure which is which, though), however I will note that the sleeve that engages with the input shaft is VERY difficult to get to move. It feels like it has to be positioned absolutely perfect and force has to be applied evenly around the sleeve for it to want to slide (if I smack the end of the shift rod with a mallet, it moves without much issue, though). I'm waiting on a couple final parts like a new front main seal, shifter gasket, and the input shaft bearing, then I'll grab some RTV Grey to seal it all up with. Plan to replace the clutch before reinstalling the trans as well. 

I wanted to give a big shout out to Stoffregen Motorsports for babying my inept ass throughout this entire process. It probably wouldn't be rebuilt right now if it wasn't for him. I've also got to thank datzenmike for continually trying to help, even if we didn't seem to be on the same page most of the time. Draker also came in clutch a few different times with advice. 

It will probably move easier once it's coated in gear oil. You could always. lube it up now and make sure.

• Like 1