Wiper Motor Assembly

Payco

Guys, How much of a job is it to remove the windscreen wiper motor/assembly to paint/polish ?. Not looking to overhaul the internals but I'm guessing you have to disconnect the linkage to remove it from the car ?. Do we have any "How to" guides or can someone share their experience on the difficulty level and challenges.

Thanks

Martin

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is not difficult at all, but the small screws holding the wiper pivots down are often rusted in place and so need to be drilled out and replaced.

There is a clip that holds the motor arm to the wiper assembly under the cowl.  Remove the clip (and don't lose it) and the rest is self explanatory.

--carter

• Like 2

Just be sure to take lots of pics before and during the work so every thing goes back where it needs to.

Although it is rewarding to clean up the appearance of the wiper motor the internals are very well sealed off and won't need much in the way of maintenance, what really needs the work is the linkage to the wiper arms and specifically the spindles.

The last pic is of the spring clip that holds the spindles in place, a dental pick is a good tool to remove it then clean an polish the spindle, grease it and slide the spring clip back down the shaft, then throw away what is left of the rubber caps that were there when you started the job and buy 2 new ones, good for another 40 yrs.

IMG_0722 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0730 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0172 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0173 (1024x768).jpg

• Like 3

That is the clip Carter was talking about above.. "There is a clip that holds the motor arm to the wiper assembly under the cowl."

I found the carpartsmanual.com is a good resource for diagrams of the 510.

https://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/bluebird-1968-1973/electrical/windshield-wiper/from-oct-68

Edited by rosso

That clip mentioned by carterb & shown by you (fuzzy pic) is a little "loose" when in place, so no worries there!  If your old original wiper motor doesn't suit your needs, I have installed Honda wiper motors (some are literally a bolt in), which are far more technologically advanced, being 25+ years newer.  If you use the same motor I did (ugh, can't remember the exact year!), I have the wiring figured out.  Honda changed wire color codes often, between years & models, so that should be researched ahead of time for ease of installation!

On 7/27/2020 at 3:16 PM, grannyknot said:

Just be sure to take lots of pics before and during the work so every thing goes back where it needs to.

Although it is rewarding to clean up the appearance of the wiper motor the internals are very well sealed off and won't need much in the way of maintenance, what really needs the work is the linkage to the wiper arms and specifically the spindles.

The last pic is of the spring clip that holds the spindles in place, a dental pick is a good tool to remove it then clean an polish the spindle, grease it and slide the spring clip back down the shaft, then throw away what is left of the rubber caps that were there when you started the job and buy 2 new ones, good for another 40 yrs.

IMG_0722 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0730 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0172 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0173 (1024x768).jpg

Nice work Grannyknot….My whole car is on its way to you.  Should see her by next week!!!!!

Edited by 4perrev