Are the radiator shroud, metal or plastic?

MiltonV

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

521 trucks in the USA with L-16 engines had both metal, and plastic, plastic being used in later trucks.

The L-16 engine engine was tilted to the right, and because of this, the fan is not centered on the radiator, and the fan shrouds were offset to accommodate this.

What material a car part is made of is a cost decision.  What is cheaper to make, and what material can be made with lower cost tooling.  Sheet metal is more expensive, but easier to make a stamping die for.   On the other hand, plastic injected into a mold is cheaper, but the mold is way more expensive.    If you are going to make a few parts, for a low selling model, 521 with J series engine,  use metal.  If you are going to make a lot of parts, 521 with L-16 engine, a big seller in the USA, and the "Premium" model in Japan, it becomes more economical for a car company to invest in more expensive plastic mold tooling.

Milton, does the serial number of your 521 begin with PL-521 or just L-521?

• Like 2

This will be interesting, I have several metal shrouds and I have no idea what they are for now, maybe I have one as my 521 kingcab had a J series in it when I bought it and I never throw anything away, so if someone posts a photo of a J series shroud...................

Edited by wayno
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, DanielC said:

521 trucks in the USA with L-16 engines had both metal, and plastic, plastic being used in later trucks.

The L-16 engine engine was tilted to the right, and because of this, the fan is not centered on the radiator, and the fan shrouds were offset to accommodate this.

What material a car part is made of is a cost decision.  What is cheaper to make, and what material can be made with lower cost tooling.  Sheet metal is more expensive, but easier to make a stamping die for.   On the other hand, plastic injected into a mold is cheaper, but the mold is way more expensive.    If you are going to make a few parts, for a low selling model, 521 with J series engine,  use metal.  If you are going to make a lot of parts, 521 with L-16 engine, a big seller in the USA, and the "Premium" model in Japan, it becomes more economical for a car company to invest in more expensive plastic mold tooling.

Milton, does the serial number of your 521 begin with PL-521 or just L-521?

The aluminum plate inside the engine bay says L521

• Like 1
12 hours ago, pidge said:

Don’t mean to hi-Jack this thread, but while we’re on the topic did 69’ with a J13 ever come with a fan shroud? Mine didn’t when bought used. 
-Pidge

According to my user manual yes it does.20200508-210508.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...