1974 Datsun Truck - Classic Onboard Navigation System Install

1974 Datsun Truck - Classic On-board Navigation System Install

While installing a modern Radio/CD player I found I needed to fortify the mounting system which evolved to a piece of plate aluminum strategically mounted for maximum strength.

While configuring the aluminum plate it became apparent it would also double as the perfect mounting base for a classic on-board navigation system.

All my friends have Garmin, Magellan & TomTom's etc. so in an effort to modernize the truck I installed a classic Airguide Marine Compass

If you look at the dash you can get perspective as to the mounting location which is optimized for driver viewing.

1974DatsunBMW001.jpg

Here's a shot from the driver's point of view...

OnboardNavigation02.jpg

Close-up

OnboardNavigation01.jpg

Reference in case anyone wants to copy my system. Note this is the upgrade model with built-in night light illumination

OnboardNavigation03.jpg

OnboardNavigation04.jpg

I picked up a Navigation Sidekick to help out too... her name is Daphnie

Daphnie003_375116.jpg

All I need now is a good Texaco Road Map and I can go anywhere without getting lost!

Next up... finish the stereo and speaker install...

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that the On-board Navigation System is installed and operating I found some time to install the CD/Radio. I broke my Dremmel and need to replace it, as soon as I do I'll finish carving up the original dash face that I cut off to do the install and put it back on to clean her up a little.

BillyBobbing03.jpg

BillyBobbing04.jpg

Here she is in all her glory...

BillyBobbing05.jpg

Next I need to get some speakers in the side kick panels, will look for a good deal on Black Friday and after that it's time to put the new brakes in.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
my only concern is that the mounting plate you have screwed into the dash is to thin for the speeds in which the vessel will be encountering.....

Yeah... I'm starting to get worried about the strength of the mounting plate too, especially since now it has to support the stress of the Engine Vacuum Gauge!

VacummGauge01.jpg

VacummGauge02.jpg

VacummGauge03.jpg

Hopefully the Plumber's Tape will be able to endure the torture of daily driving...

:D

• 2 months later...

Added a new gauge to my 1974 Datsun 620 truck to compliment the On-Board Navigation System and the Fuel Efficiency Monitoring System.

Forgot where I picked this up but I've been packing it around for years and finally decided to mount it and wire it up.

Electra Scope

LectraScope01.jpg

LectraScope02.jpg

LectraScope03.jpg

I did a Google search and only found one thread about it here, (which I posted to), seems as though this was another fine instrument sold by the J.C. Whitney Company.

I haven't figured out how to go about wiring it up yet.

Looks cool though and sets the bar a little higher for the rest of you to try to catch-up to...

The cool thing is there's still plenty of support offered by the aluminum plate for a couple of Bar Buoys.

ORB-300_lg.jpg

Edited by Mike Phillips
  • Like 1

:lol::lol::lol: I am lovin this! I think you need a PerfOmeter too!

Which is the gauge on the steering column of this MG. And here is a link to a better picture with a bit of a description.

http://flickr.com/photos/drive-design/2245656580/

From the link:

"This oil filled Perfometer was made in 1952 by the Autosphere Corporation. The gauge was very easy to install, just mount it under the dash, "zero it in" by angling it in such a way that the needle points to zero and your done! No wires, no mechanical connections, it was that easy...think early G-Tech.

From the literature supplied, the Perfometer can show the driver, acceleration, horsepower, stopping distances, engine pulling power, and hill gradients - both up and down. I'm betting it's pretty inaccurate, but for me that doesn't detract from it's appeal. "

td_on_trial_6.JPG

• 1 month later...

***Update***

A new addition to the On-board Navigation & Engine Monitoring System has been installed, beta-tested and approved for use.

Pre-Cup Holder Datsuns - An upgrade you can do with simple tools at home

Includes instructions for duplicating this for your own truck.

cupholder1.jpg

cupholder2.jpg

• 1 month later...

OFF ROAD TILT AND INCLINE METER $24.99

2c13_1.JPG

" you know it's a steep hill when: ... your plastic Jesus falls off the dash and lands in the back seat!"

Edited by datzenmike
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah...

How about **2** vacuum gauges mounted on the steering column?

520dash04.JPG

Some may wonder why... well, I did too. But some tracing revealed one is attached to manifold vacuum and the other to ported vacuum to the distributor.

Yes, that's an aftermarket cruise control on the left. Yes, it's all there and hooked up. No, it doesn't work. Too bad, really. I think it was hooked up to the Sears aftermarket ignition control box (used the points as low-power breakers to drive an electronic signal... funky) but I removed it.

And yes, the thing on the far left is a lawnmower idle control. It's hooked up to a homemade cam on the distributor, to manually advance/retard the dist.

The prior owner was one heck of a tinkerer, but not too concerned about aesthetics.

• 1 month later...

***Update***

About a year and a half ago I moved from SoCal to Florida for a new job that's worked out pretty well. I've been on Two Guys Garage and Motorhead Garage, and made lots of videos and now have my own TV show that will start airing in April of 2011 called "What's in the Garage".

Anyway, I'm coming out to SoCal for the Thanksgiving Holiday and I'm going to freshen up the Datsun and drive it around while I'm back there. It needs new star adjuster tensions on the front brakes but one of the Admins on this forum, J2eDeYe has sent me some so as soon as I get into town I'm going to install them.

I need to ether have it shipped to Florida or sell it, I have it on Craigslist and have a number of inquiries, (not at my ridiculous price), but it's so mechanically rebuilt I kind of hate to get rid of it, that's why I put a high price on it.

Probably cost me around $600 to $800.00 to have it shipped to Florida, but then I would have a parts chaser for when I get ready to do some upgrades to my Jimmy... now this thing is fun to drive around, it has a 454 Gen VI Roller Cam Big Block Chevy in it...

JimmyWithSlots003.jpg

JimmyWithSlots001.jpg

JimmysNewTop03.jpg

I've been doing some work with Matt Steele from Truck U and he has a website called, TrucksGoneWild.com and in about 3-4 weeks he'll be filming at the Triple Canopy Ranch and I'm going to take my 1975 Jimmy and tool around in the mud a little.