Missing cam shaft dowel

Suntzuzuki

Mike, that’s exactly what I said, to use coppers.

If you have dissimilar materials on both sides, obviously the softer material is going to erode quicker. On the iridium plugs, they put an iridium button on the ground strap to prevent erosion on that side. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will definitely stick to the copper plugs but am stoked to finally have the clarification!

I got the dowel for the cam! When putting in the timing chain it always seems half a tooth off from TC, I had to rotate the crank a smidge to get them to line up (please check out photos). I'm thinking that since everything is aligned properly, as long as the chain is properly syncing the cam to the crank I'm good to go, but since I have this thread going it doesn't hurt to throw it up here for some advice.

Also kinda strange that the OSK cam gear doesn't have the notches.

2020-04-21.jpg

2020-04-21.jpg

2020-04-21.jpg

• Like 1

Strictly speaking you don't have to have the tensioner or guides on to install the chain. Top and bottom sprockets have a dimple and the chain has bright links. Line them up to each other. If no bright links count 42 links between dimples if L16/18 and 44 if L20B. There are 38 for a Z20/22 and 40 for a Z24.

• Like 1

Thanks!! I'm doing a full rebuild and been using this book as my bible and I've found it to be thorough and fantastic! It indicates to put the chain on before the guides and tensioners.

My dowel is lined up to the notch, but I'm worried that the crank seems off just a hair.

Screen+Shot+2020-04-21+at+3.33.16+PM.png

2020-04-21.jpg2020-04-21.jpg

• Like 1

Turn the crank slightly clockwise to tighten the left side with the links and this will also move any slack to the aptly named 'slack side'. The driver's, or left side, is the tight or tension side, so that rubber coated guide sits just against the chain to support it. The right, or slack side has a tensioner, push it all the way into it's holder and hold and adjust the other rubber coated guide as far to the driver's side as you can and tighten in place, release the tensioner.

I measured a tensioner diameter once and worked out the area the oil pressure pushes against. I came up with 7-8 pounds pushing on the chain at 50 PSI oil pressure.

• Like 2

i WOULD GET A CENTER STUD AT LEAST FOR THE EXHAUST.

I see you have studs on the ends

I also got the top row with studs also. I had used the stock bolts vut ever time oI war strecting out the threads so I went with studs to keep from making them go bad. yes sometime they come out if the nut rust on there but I put antiseize on everthing now(esp the waterpump bolts and thermostat bolts as they always rust and break the bolts and then need a new housing for the stat

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1

One the Z20 I am doing for my king cab 720 I installed regular studs on the Intake side but with the world shut down all I could get was long allen set screws which I think I will like better than studs for the simple reason I can put allen wrench in the end if I have one wanting to turn out with the nut.  Removal of the would be easier to to mill the intake and exhaust sides of the head.

• 1 month later...

I just put in a new dowel pin into camshaft and I cannot get the sprocket back on. Im wondering if the timing belt tensioner came out. How would I know? I used a piece of wood (cut like my book said) to hold timing chain. 

• Like 1

Some times the dowel is just slightly off to the side and out of alignment, so rotate the cam back and forth slightly.

If the tensioner is out the sprocket won't reach the cam. If you can get the sprocket up onto the cam, just barely, put the bolt in and tighten it. This will force the sprocket up farther and into place. Be sure the pin lines up by rocking the cam.

• Like 1