Missing cam shaft dowel

Suntzuzuki

I got my head back from the machine shop and have been assembling my engine, admittedly it stayed in the garage for about 8 months until I got laid off for Corona, now I'm back to building it.

When I got the head back I didn't realize the cam timing dowel had been taken out! 

I was hoping you knew what diameter and length dowel I need to put in there. Last thing I need is to put something improper in there that has a tiny little rattle and makes my timing all wonky until I blow a valve.

Thanks and stay safe out there, everyone!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have taken the cam out as well as rockers, anything not needed.

It sticks out 0.225" but the cam sprocket holes go all the way through so if longer shouldn't matter. It's 0.040"  0.24" diameter. I have a head and cam sitting beside me to measure.

32 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I would have taken the cam out as well as rockers, anything not needed.

It sticks out 0.225" but the cam sprocket holes go all the way through so if longer shouldn't matter. It's 0.040" diameter. I have a head and cam sitting beside me to measure.

Mike check that diameter again....

.040 is kind of small....

I just measured a spare cam and got 

.236 or 6mm.... 

Suntzuki make sure you add the depth of the hole in the cam to Mike's measurement... you'll likely need something about 1/2 long....

3 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Best place in Seattle to have work done it AutosportSeattle

guy names Terri

That's where I had it done! I have an l20 cam here but I can't get the pin out. I tried heating it, PB Blaster over night, etc. It won't come out.

I called Autosport and they're going to check for me. It does seem odd that the pin is out...I have no idea how the hell that happened.

I have also been told not to use the r type which stands for resistor...

Same with the p which is for projected tip...

I would run a straight b6es plug ( I think that's the right heat range) .... if electronic ignition you can do the b6es-11,  come set with a wider gap....

I know I bought new NGKs for my truck but that was mid '90s. Always coming across old heads or complete engines. If they look good, I swap them. Have never bought new wires and have several good used NGK sets including those blue ones for a 280zx. The long ones you can run around the front of the valve cover and look nice.

Plugs are plugs. If iridium they are for modern engines with high output coils so I wouldn't run on anything less that an EI distributor. I think they last longer... NGK says 40K 50K under good conditions 60K on an unmodified engine but 100k is possible. I checked and iridium plugs are about 50% more to buy. Keep in mind the tip may not wear out but the ground straps are all the same. Standard plugs last up to 20K so last 2-3 time longer maybe more.

There is so much misinformation here, it’s not even funny. Iridium plugs also have an iridium conductor on the bottom of the ground tab. They’re not all the same ground tabs. Auto manufacturers use them as OEM because their lifespan is tremendous. Nissan recommends a change interval of 100k miles for the Iridium IX plugs, which come stock in most modern engines.

For these old Datsuns, which don’t see many miles anyway, just run NGK coppers.

You can run resistor or non-resistor, it doesn’t really matter, and you won’t see any performance difference. The resistor version suppresses EMI noise that could interfere with sensitive electronics. I’ve even used the projected tip version, which places the spark closer to the center of the cylinder. They claim it helps with the wave front and combustion propagation, but who knows.

BR6ES, B6ES, BR7ES, B7ES are all fine.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Iridium plugs also have an iridium conductor on the bottom of the ground tab. They’re not all the same ground tabs.

What does this mean? That the ground strap doesn't wear out? It's usually the center electrode that erodes away faster and the strap not so much. All the NGK info is from their site. Iridium MAY last 100k but NGK does not say so. Change interval is not the same as checking gap interval. I have no idea what Nissan uses for plugs but it would be in a newer engine and might last 100k but it sure isn't in an old Datsun with carburetor and points. For those get the cheapest NGK there is.