New project 74 620 chop-top

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chevy should fit. Also the ones used on the Z20 and Z22 series engines in the 720 and the S110200sx

Mount pump as close to tank as you can. Pumps suck at sucking but no upper limit for pressure. It'll be quieter back there and don't forget to add an interrupter switch for theft protection.

• Thanks 1

rBJLOxf.jpg

Gene in all of Ratsun only one member (metalmonkey) has claimed a verified bad carrier bearing. They almost never go bad, however the rubber doughnut clamped around the driveshaft DOES rot away. This is what supports the driveshaft and the bearing just turns with no load on it. Once the rubber doughnut starts to deteriorate the driveshaft starts to become unstable. It vibrates under load or thumps around the cage that contains it. Most people replace it but it's really the rubber isolater ring that's the problem.

I wrapped a long inch and a half strip of conveyor belt around the driveshaft till it was a tight fit in the clamp. I meant to fix it later but it worked so well it was on there for years. It was suggested that several old bicycle inner tubes would also work. 

06NRVt4.jpg

• Like 3
On 4/18/2020 at 12:31 PM, gene knight said:

LilDotty74 what is the part# for carrier bearing? and where did you get it from? also i have a plethora of 620 parts and also are you gonna use/keep the fiberglass shell

The camper ? I can get the part number if you’d like, he is right tho my actual baring was in great condition just so happens you can’t buy them separate. I still have the box around here somewhere so let me know !

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Jersey said:

How many lbs of pull on the solenoid? Do you think the angle of the cable might cause trouble down the road?

35 pounds of pull. I don’t think it will unless the cable clamps come loose, think I’m going to reinforce them with extra clamps There are two ways to connect to the door to pull the latch Open,  one is to simply connect to the inner door handle latch on the inside of the door, since my door handles are shaved I had the assembly for the outer handles still in, so I connected it to those and made them independent of each other. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, LilDotty74 said:

35 pounds of pull. I don’t think it will unless the cable clamps come loose, think I’m going to reinforce them with extra clamps There are two ways to connect to the door to pull the latch Open,  one is to simply connect to the inner door handle latch on the inside of the door, since my door handles are shaved I had the assembly for the outer handles still in, so I connected it to those and made them independent of each other. 

Good call on using the outer door handle. Correct me if I’m wrong, if you use the inner handle release, when you activate the solenoid it would physically throw the inside door handle too...? As for the cables, with those I worry about stretch and fray...It’s just that angle, too, that concerns me...Also, I would imagine that you’re not getting a true 35 lb pull at that angle. If I may suggest an idea, what if you pivot the solenoid 45 degrees off of the left bolt? Then run the cable over to a bracket where that phillips head screw is, and use that as your fulcrum point, and then run a cable straight up from the bracket to the door release mechanism. This way, there’s less stress on the cables. 

Edited by Jersey
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Jersey said:

Good call on using the outer door handle. Correct me if I’m wrong, if you use the inner handle release, when you activate the solenoid it would physically throw the inside door handle too...? As for the cables, with those I worry about stretch and fray...It’s just that angle, too, that concerns me...Also, I would imagine that you’ll not getting a true 35 lb pull at that angle. If I may suggest an idea, what if you pivot the solenoid 45 degrees off of the left bolt? Then run the cable over to a bracket where that phillips head screw is, and use that as your fulcrum point, and then run a cable straight up from the bracket to the door release mechanism. This way, there’s less stress on the cables. 

That’s actually a good idea just to make sure of a straight pull and less stress on cables 

• Like 1