New project 74 620 chop-top

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t get why you didn’t but the cam in first to make sure it would spin a with out binding after torqing downThen install the rocker arms

Also the cam tower bolt threads tend to strip ez that’s why most people don’t do this as the rocker arm is getting pressed on a certain cylinder 

this head could have flaws you don’t know about 

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Thanks 1

NRgVPgc_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Looks like a 210 'number' head from an L16. Has really small valves and ports. Just look at that space between the intake and exhausts!  Look on the right side bottom edge of the head between plugs 1 and 2 for the ID. An L18 should have an A87 'letter head' with larger valves and ports. This one wasn't even that great on an L16. It will bump the compression almost one point to 9.4 and might ping on regular gas and stock timing.

• Like 1

Keep an eye out for a U67 head for spare. Sometimes they fall  into your lap.  Yes the L18 cam is I think similar to the L20B with increased lift over the L16 cam. Look for these square bumps on it in the middle. Did you ID your head?

mAcMb0w.jpg

• Thanks 1

She starts now and idles replaced the thermostat censor and added a new thermostat (didn’t have one in) I drove it after I got it from the guy it overheated and I realized needed to take her apart and do some investigation, needed new carb (eBay 90$)  found a huge chip in the original head and no compression in middle two cylinders, got new head, new carb, fuel filter, oil change, oil filter, spark plugs and gasket sets, now waiting for the radiator in the mail (3 row 150$ eBay) and to install new exhaust before I take her on the second maiden voyage 

• Like 3