510 repair the instrument cluster circut board?

grannyknot

I started tearing down the instrument cluster today, PO manged to lose the clear plastic windows and looks like he installed an aftermarket tach, but the circuit board is the real problem. A leak at the bottom of the windshield has rusted the backing plate behind the board but also the copper on one of the lines has corroded and broken the circuit.  You can see where he tried to solder a jumper wire over top of the break.

I was going to drill out the 5 brass rivets holding the board to the backing plate so I can remove the rust.

Is there anyway to repair a circuit board?

Thanks

IMG_0333-1024x768.md.jpgIMG_0336-1024x768.md.jpgIMG_0335-1024x768.md.jpgIMG_0371-1024x768.md.jpgIMG_0367-1024x768.md.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have just lightly cans the copper and get some solder flux and make a new jumper.Who ever did this did not use flux as the solder would flow better.

If this is a multilayered circuit board and broke inside you got to find a spot that is aces sable an add a bypass fire if possible.

really there is a lot of people that have spares of these things and start out with a better one.shit I might have 2 spares but you want the tach as what you got looks cool.

put a Want Ad for a new inst panel

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

Thanks guys, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, the rust on the backing plate was just on the edges and I have a 5 gal bucket full of 510 and KA24 fasteners to be re plated so I'll just throw it in with rest.

7 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

but you want the tach as what you got looks cool.

So I take it that 510's didn't come with a tach?

The tach that came with it looks like it was never hooked up and seems to be in new condition, anyone want to take an educated guess which wire goes to the ignition coil?  4 wires, red, black, white and green.

IMG_0378-1024x768.md.jpgIMG_0380-1024x768.md.jpgIMG_0382-1024x768.md.jpg

Edited by grannyknot
4 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Thanks guys, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, the rust on the backing plate was just on the edges and I have a 5 gal bucket full of 510 and KA24 fasteners to be re plated so I'll just throw it in with rest.

The tach that came with it looks like it was never hooked up and seems to be in new condition, anyone want to take an educated guess which wire goes to the ignition coil?  4 wires, red, black, white and green.

The guts do not look like any 510 tach. That switch looks like the after market 4 6 8 cylinder option switch. The four wire 510 tach has black, green and two white wires

Yes the tach face plate and housing are definitely original and the tach mechanism after market and as Mike says that switch on the back would be 4-6-8 cyl.  Red is pos., green or black would be neg., I guess my real concern is am I going to blow something by hooking up the wrong lead to the coil?

Got it, green is the tach wire, a buddy on ClassicZcar figured it out.

Captain Obvious

• I'm a member of this forum
  •  
  • Captain Obvious
  • Members
  • 6,551 posts
  • Map Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    •  
    •  
    •  

Red is +12.
Black is ground.
Green is speed input.*
White is gauge illumination lamps.

*Note that I don't know what kind of signal the tach is expecting, but the green wire is where it should occur.

• 3 months later...
On 12/22/2019 at 3:04 PM, grannyknot said:

You did a great job repairing that circuit board. A suggestion: scrub the pc board with 99% Isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush. It'll clean it up nicely. I've repaired a great many pinball machine circuit boards which had been damaged from the batteries leaking in a similar fashion.

I have repaired circuit boards with copper strips before including in my own 510 many years ago.  You can also use conductive paint, like for defroster repairs.

I think I may also have one spare lens cover if you still need them.

Edited by iceman510
addition