Factory Power steering to Manual Gearbox

SLO720

Hello I was wondering what it would take to convert a power steering truck to a manual gearbox. I need a new gearbox on one of my trucks and my only spares are manual boxes. I actually prefer the manual box and would rather run it if possible. I do have tilt steering and the box I have will be coming out of a 83 4x4 base truck. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only issue I can think of that might not be an issue at all is that the power steering gear/box is slightly taller than the manual steering gear/box, I believe the collapsible section of the steering shaft will need to be extended which it might not want to do but I believe that there is enough there for it not to be an issue, other wise you will need a manual column.

I have never did this, I have always converted to power steering from manual steering, and I have always had to collapse that section a little but in the end I always had to use a power steering column because the rag joint would hit the upper control arm, all 2wd manual steering columns had the rag joint at the steering gear, and all 2wd power steering columns had the rag joint near the firewall, but I don't see that being an issue unless the collapsible section isn't long enough to be extended. 

• Like 1

I think on the 4x4 it should be feasible. Went and looked at the rods and I think its plausible just need to take the one off and put on the other. I originally robbed the blue trucks gearbox for my dd. Nice having parts trucks even if you have a motor to get it running lol.

20191216-105440.jpg20191216-105548.jpg

• Like 1

If it is a 4wd then it should be fine, the rag joint on the power steering gear on a 2wd hits the upper control arm, the is why all the 2wd 720's with power steering have the rag joint near the firewall and the knuckle on the power steering gear.

I know all this because I used a 4wd column on a 2wd with power steering and I had to grind on the upper control arm to make it clear the rag joint.

• Like 1

You have to be kidding wanting manual over power steering.... even more so if off road driving. Anything that reduces driver fatigue and can help you avoid trouble by quick lane changing should be kept. There is no advantage to manual steering other than it was a cheaper when ordering the truck. 

I built a power steering system for my 620 and it was incredible how fast you could throw the truck around.

• Like 2

Honestly, I kept getting bad used power steering pumps from the jy and drove my brown truck for 2 years without power steering until the seals blew out the gearbox. Ended up buying a seal kit and resealing a pump before swapping the blue trucks box on it. Power steering doesn't matter to me and I have driven my diesels like that as well. I had thought about mounting a electro hydraulic pump off a Volvo. They're easy to wire but placement may be the difficult part. The important part to me is the tilt column.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting! I had thought about doing the same thing just using electro-hydraulic pump. I still have the pump and it was quite easy to convert to working on its own. It was out of a Volvo I just dont remember which. It wouldve worked great minus figuring out where to mount it lol. The most commonly obtained pump like that is typically out of an mr2. Are you using gm lo we r assist? Pump I purchased looked like thisScreenshot-20200105-090918-Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

This is what I am talking about. I want to get rid of the hydraulic mees all together, ia m tired of leaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4TYQ_KJSpc

I did something very similar in my 240z a number of yrs ago, nothing but good things to say about it, parking lots and tight traffic are a breeze and I turn the dial down for the highway.  There are a number of write ups on the conversion.

DSCN0623-1024x768.md.jpg

• Like 1

Can you steer though it? I mean is it passive if the power fails? Or will it be impossible to steer without power?

On 1/7/2020 at 3:12 AM, grannyknot said:

I did something very similar in my 240z a number of yrs ago, nothing but good things to say about it, parking lots and tight traffic are a breeze and I turn the dial down for the highway.  There are a number of write ups on the conversion.

DSCN0623-1024x768.md.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Can you steer though it? I mean is it passive if the power fails? Or will it be impossible to steer without power?

It is passive, I'm pretty sure all electrical assist steering is otherwise that could get dangerous quickly. I picked my unit from an Equinox at the wreckers, I think I have about $140 in the whole unit and that includes the control box from Bruno, he sells them on ebay for $40

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2020 at 6:01 PM, grannyknot said:

It is passive, I'm pretty sure all electrical assist steering is otherwise that could get dangerous quickly. I picked my unit from an Equinox at the wreckers, I think I have about $140 in the whole unit and that includes the control box from Bruno, he sells them on ebay for $40

This is what I want to do to both my truck and my Z. Love to get rid of all the PS crap under the hood. No leaks , more room in the engine compartment . . 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Madkaw said:

This is what I want to do to both my truck and my Z. Love to get rid of all the PS crap under the hood. No leaks , more room in the engine compartment . . 

I forgot to mention, the whole electric assist system added 14lbs to the car, put that up against a hydraulic system.