Anyone do any 3D printing?

edekalil

The station engineering dept bought a 3D printer. Several people have been printing things with it. I was wondering if anyone has done anything like fender emblems and such. I’m not familiar with what’s needed to print anything but just wondering if anyone has.

Edited by edekalil
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/12/2019 at 5:31 PM, edekalil said:

The station engineering dept bought a 3D printer. Several people have been printing things with it. I was wondering if anyone has done anything like fender emblems and such. I’m not familiar with what’s needed to print anything but just wondering if anyone has.

Hi Guys,

I could not get my hands on a Steering Column Cover for my 69 510 and decided to model, and print one my self. Below are the pics of the prototype. 

3D printed 69 Datsun 510 Steering Column cover

I am currently printing all 4 pieces in black and will do a light fiberglass wrap on the outside to prevent it from warping in the sun. Above are just 2 pieces for test fitting.

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, yenpit said:

I have two 69 column covers but both have a piece broken out, same spot........would one help with the project?

TJ

Denver CO

Hi TJ,

I have pics and dimensions from someone on the realm and that’s how I was able to model this one. So I have the final model and will post pics once I am done printing, and sanding it.

Thanks,

Luis.

4 hours ago, LS_Wagon said:

Hi TJ,

I have pics and dimensions from someone on the realm and that’s how I was able to model this one. So I have the final model and will post pics once I am done printing, and sanding it.

Thanks,

Luis.

You could do the acetone vapor thing too.  That will turn it gloss without all the work.

1 minute ago, BrandonS said:

You could do the acetone vapor thing too.  That will turn it gloss without all the work.

I thought about that but the PLA will warp from being in the hot sun. I figure a quick wrap in fiberglass should prevent that. I want to get a roll of the stuff that doesn’t warp in the heat. It is a mix of composite and aluminum I think. 

13 hours ago, LS_Wagon said:

I thought about that but the PLA will warp from being in the hot sun. I figure a quick wrap in fiberglass should prevent that. I want to get a roll of the stuff that doesn’t warp in the heat. It is a mix of composite and aluminum I think. 

ABS would be fine and that gets gloss smooth with acetone vapor as well