locking diff

4x4 Demon

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

X2 on the axle swap.

If you find a Nissan locker, it will cost you bigtime. An axle out of a Toyota 4x4 (87-94) will cost around $200 at any wrecking yard. They come stock with 4.10 gears.

Gear ratios range from 3.70 to 5.71 at about $250 a set. Air lockers come in at around $800, but Toyota offered an electric locker option in their TRD trucks, and you can find one of those complete diffs in a wrecking yard for around $300.

Swapping an axle in is very easy. Cut off the old perches, set the pinion angle, weld on the perches, shock mounts, connect the brake lines and modified park brake cable. Oh, and a driveshaft...done. All in a day's work.

• Like 1

CLSD in the '88 through '93 D21 Hardbody. Only the 4 cylinder 2wd trucks got the H-190. It was an option so probably most buyers wouldn't have known about it anyway and it will be rare to find one, just ask wayno. They had terrible 3.545 or 3.70 gears but you can swap them out. My guess is you could buy the entire axle for $100 just to get rid of it. There will be an orange sticker on the rear of the 3rd member or pumpkin saying LSD or USE ONLY LSD OIL

vVS2R76.jpg

Good luck, and good hunting. Take a rag and rub every bum on every Hardbody you find. Maybe you'll get lucky and find one.

• Like 1

Cool.  My truck has the C200 which sounds like the most rare LSD offered.  So I need to figure out how to upgrade to the H233.  Which seems like easy search.  I haven't found a build thread where it shows what needs to be changed.   Maybe Demon 4x4 could do the same since it's easy to find a D21 V6 SE in the yards.  

• Like 1

I actually have a 4.625 H-233 4 pinion LSD diff. I was looking at putting it in my 620. It was from a pathfinder so I  cut all the 4 link mounts off. I think they are the same width as the Hardbody and the Pathfinder axles are supposed to be swapable. The one I got has the rear disc brakes .

Hardbody V6 trucks got the H-233 so they are out there. Not sure if they came with LSD and the gears were 3.90 and lower I think. The Pathfinder LSD only come in 4.375 and 4.625

• Like 1

Yeah, if you care about your vehicle's differential you won't go near those. Used to be known as the Phantom Grip. (wonder why they are gone now? also there are a new crop of drivers that don't know any better every year that keep these companies going) Real LSDs use friction clutches and discs cooled and lubed by the diff fluid. What these do is exert an extreme load on the side gears jamming apart and against them and the case, metal to metal to 'lock them'. For less that double that price you can get a REAL LSD after market one, well IF you can find one.

• Like 3