Lowered the pickup today

Drummerboy4as

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang that looks clean! How exactly did you de-arch the rear springs? And how much was the drop in price and inch drop. Thanks!!! Ummm what is your trucks color code?

Thanks! To de-arch the springs, I took apart the spring pack, pull out the second spring from the top and flip it over on top of the spring pack. Clamp everything back together VERY CAREFULLY. If something comes loose you can get hurt. I use a large C clamp and a couple long woodworking clamps (I know they have a real name, but it escapes me at the moment). I should've taken pictures... oh well. I did the same thing to my wagon and I like it a lot more than using blocks. You get a higher spring rate and you lower it at the same time.

If I understand your question about the drop in price and inches correctly, it didn't cost me anything, just a couple bloody knuckles and a few hours time. As far as inches, I estimate about a 4 or 5 inch drop.

The color code I can go look at tomorrow for ya. It looks to be the same color as the truck in your avatar

Thanks! To de-arch the springs, I took apart the spring pack, pull out the second spring from the top and flip it over on top of the spring pack. Clamp everything back together VERY CAREFULLY. If something comes loose you can get hurt. I use a large C clamp and a couple long woodworking clamps (I know they have a real name, but it escapes me at the moment). I should've taken pictures... oh well. I did the same thing to my wagon and I like it a lot more than using blocks. You get a higher spring rate and you lower it at the same time.

If I understand your question about the drop in price and inches correctly, it didn't cost me anything, just a couple bloody knuckles and a few hours time. As far as inches, I estimate about a 4 or 5 inch drop.

The color code I can go look at tomorrow for ya. It looks to be the same color as the truck in your avatar

Any chance we could get some pics of your springs?:D

Any chance we could get some pics of your springs?:D

Sure thing, I'll snap some tomorrow. The pics will be from under the truck though. You guys are great and all, but I'm not gonna pull my wheels back off just for a photo op :glare:

I'm regretting being an irresponsible ratsun owner and not taking pics of the process. I didn't think it was that big of a deal :unsure:

Ok, like I said I'm an irresponsible Ratsun owner and didn't take pics of the process, but I took some after pics of the springs with some well placed "pointers". I'll describe what I did.

After jacking up the rear of the truck and securing it properly on some jack stands, pull the wheels off. Unbolt the U-bolts seen here, not the one I'm pointing to but the four around the edge. Leave the shock bolted up.

IMG_1143.jpg

This would be a good point to grab your floor jack and support the rear end.

Then pull the nuts off the shackle. These will take some persuasion.

IMG_1146.jpg

Then remove the front bolt. This one may also take some persuasion.

IMG_1144.jpg

You should be able to remove the leaf spring.

Once you have the spring pack off, throw a clamp in the middle right next to the bolt that holds the pack together. This will make it easier to get that bad boy out. Depending on how this bolt looks, you may be able to re use it... I did. Otherwise you need to pick up a nut and bolt of proper length and round off the head.

While you're at the hardware store pick up 20 or so flat washers to use as spacers for the U-bolts and a few washers for the center bolt if you reuse it. I had to do this because I removed the very bottom over load leaf. You could avoid this by leaving that leaf in, I don't think it would make that much of a difference.

IMG_1142.jpg

Once you have that bolt out take a hammer and a flat blade screwdriver and pry open the clamps at either end.

IMG_1139.jpg

The springs should be in pieces. Take the second spring from the top out. it should be here

IMG_1141.jpg

Take it out and flip it upside down on top of the spring pack

IMG_1140.jpg

Remember the hole is offset, so don't spin the spring end for end.

Get your clamps and a long screw driver or round piece of steel, whatever fits through the hole in the middle. This will help you keep everything lined up.

These are the clamps I used

IMG_1147.jpg

Get your long clamps started and insert your "liner upper" through the holes.

I use the long clamps first, one on either side of the hole. Tighten one down, when it bottoms out, tighten the other down, pull the first one off and tighten it again and so on. Just be sure to keep constant pressure on the spring. If you have access to a large vice, use it, it's much easier than using clamps.

When you've tightened the long clamps enough to get the C clamp on, put it on and tighten it the rest of the way.

When everything is clamped down tight, replace the center bolt. Leave the C clamp on and place a clamp at either end where the metal "clamps" are. Hammer those back down.

Pull your clamps off and viola! All done Reinstall and do the other side

IMG_1135.jpg

Hope this helps :D

EP

Edited by Drummerboy4as

did mine today, left the overloads in. heres a before and after. Oh I have 3 inch blocks as well. Wheels are 17's. Wheels sit pefect in the well now. Flipping the second looked like it dropped it 2inches or so.

I have a issue now tho. The driveshaft seems to be making a clunking sound like its hitting something. I checked and its all clear. Only does it under acceleration. If i get a steady speed it stops. Any ideas?

DSC01027.jpg

DSC01053.jpg

So the first pic is with a 3" block and the second is 2nd leaf flipped and a 3" block? Looks good.

As for the "clunking" sound, is it a constant sound under accel or a one time clunk when you get on it? Could be a bad pinion angle if its constant, could be axle wrap if its a one time clunk. Could be a combo. If your axle twists when your accelerating it could affect your pinion angle causing your driveshaft to make noise, then when your speed levels out your axle corrects itself.

I don't have this issue partly because I have a 3 speed and an l16 so I don't accelerate no matter how much I stomp on it and also I don't have lowering block, which I've heard are bad for axle wrap.

Hope that helps....

nope. That used to be my wgn. I made a trade with my buddy Dave(a100addict) so that his daughter could have the automatic. He put a quick(11hr) paint job on it and most recently, the rims/tires. The '69 I got is still not on the road. My daughter has a '68 521 sitting in the driveway, waiting for me to get busy on it. I've made some progress.....but not much :)