• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice, saw one about a month ago. My deep interest in cars pretty much died out by the mid '70s with the end of the muscle cars. Pick almost any car made around '70 and it looked like it was going fast just sitting by the curb. I owned a new '70 Dart 340 and was a Mopar fan before I went to high school, always dreaming of the day I would have one. Ah well those days are gone...

Until a few years ago when the new 'Steve McQueen' Mustang came out I was not a fan of the retro look, specially the 'new' Thunderbird... god awful styling, but really from a time too early in the muscle car era for me. This new Mustang fired the imagination, and brought back memories of times I thought were long gone. Great looking car with a blend of new technology added.

And now the Challenger! At a glance of one of those rear side shots you could easily be fooled into thinking it was a '70. With big wide tail lights the way they are supposed to be, across the back and not that rice rocket 'euro style' I detest. Two summers ago I had a ride in a friend's HEMI Charger in Ontario... very impressive. Too bad it has traction control because it really wanted to light 'em up. Firm suspension and great handling, unbelievable acceleration, crisp shifts. We had to slow to merge with 401 traffic after a short on ramp blast through the gears. I imagine the new Challenger is no less.

I applaud mopar for FINALLY understanding autos are becoming a thing of the past again along with FWD. The new challenger and other mopars are pretty damn exciting cars + theyre paving the way for other american car companies to get their heads out of their asses. How many fucking FWD GM's were made that ruined old school muscle car names? TOO MANY! Good score on the mopar man!!!! I freakin love it! peace.

Havent actually looked around the engine much yet but the plastic cover comes off real easy and the plugs are right on top and everything maintenace wise is easy to get to.

The six spped cars are able to turn the traction control off, fun fun fun but not so cheap on the tires. The new Challenger is supposed to be the 11/10ths version of the original version, lol. The thing rides so smooth and handles pretty dang good with the IRS. It does use the previous gen Mercedes E class suspension though, as do the 300, Magnum, and Chargers do.

Those are cool cars.

The Challenger/New Camero ect ,the new Jeep Wrangler 4dr

All might be a little to late.

"Going out of Bussiness sale" might be comming soon(i hope it doesnt happen)

I think GM will be going out first, all they wanted Mopar for was thier cash which would have only lasted a few more months. If Mopar does die my car would be worth more all of a sudden. It would suck though.

Looks very close to the original

70-ta-challenger.gif

RT004.jpg

Mark_2.jpg

That was the plan, to make the car as close to the original as possible and have all the new car improvements, like if it was built back then using todays technology. Its closer to the original than the new Mustang is to the 70 Mustang. Its retro retro, lol.

Car looks sweet, and you got the 6speed:D

The newest Top Gear episode (Season 12, Episode 2) has a Challenger, ZR1, and CTS-V in it. Great show.

I'm not a big fan of the new Challengers or any of the new muscle cars. They look good but have meh handling and meh power(for the size of the engines). The dealership out here got one when they first came out and paraded it around town revving the engine. It sounded like any normal engine revving. Not impressive to me. Oy vey I'm ranting.

Very neat car, man :)

Here's some side-by-side comparisons.

thumb800x800_3020068546_7b07b50a21_o.jpg

thumb800x800_3019237443_a74a9bea52_o.jpg

thumb800x800_3020068612_d8c085703b_o.jpg

Via Jalopnik

Edited by comply

Loved that movie since i was a kid.. grew up in a mopar household, plus my dad is a huge car buff so i saw all those old movies. "Vanishing Point", "Dirty Mary, Crazy Lary", "Two-Lane Blacktop", and of course "American Graffitti". The original "Gone in 60 sec." and the junkman series was entertaining as well.:cool:

i recently went to the boston area to visit my brother. he loaned me his srt8 300c OMG!!! if you turned off the traction control it was almost undrivable from a standing start. on the freeway i just walked away from several cars who thought they were hot shit. one kid in a turbo honda of some kind was trying to pass me .we were going about 90 -95 mph. we got to a more open area and just waved and left him. i could hear him downshifting but it got him nowhere. i sister -in-law completely humiliated a boxter . if i had the money for that car i would buy a 70 cuda. black on black 440 4 speed car. sorry i need some alone time!

I'm not a big fan of the new Challengers or any of the new muscle cars. They look good but have meh handling and meh power(for the size of the engines). The dealership out here got one when they first came out and paraded it around town revving the engine. It sounded like any normal engine revving. Not impressive to me. Oy vey I'm ranting.

375 hp and 404 ft/lbs torque isnt bad for a 345 cu in engine. The car is heavy at 4000 pounds but with the IRS it will outhandle most cars its size, probably close to what my 4th gen F bodies could do as far as road handling, maybe not a tight SCCA course. Drive a six speed version and turn off the traction control and have fun, lol. Its suspension is based off of the previous gen Mercedes E class, as are the Charger and 300.

375 hp and 404 ft/lbs torque isnt bad for a 345 cu in engine. The car is heavy at 4000 pounds but with the IRS it will outhandle most cars its size, probably close to what my 4th gen F bodies could do as far as road handling, maybe not a tight SCCA course. Drive a six speed version and turn off the traction control and have fun, lol. Its suspension is based off of the previous gen Mercedes E class, as are the Charger and 300.

375hp out of a 5+liter 'hemi' engine. I'd still say it's better suited to light-to-light races. As long as you enjoy it and it's fun (:

Mercedes E class is the cheap-o class afaik. The new Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice share the same chassis as my Mom's 9yr old SLK. Not a bad chassis, but extremely old and outdated.

The SLK and Pontiacs arent the same, they may have copied the design but its not the same chassis at all. The C class is the cheapo Mercedes(if a Mercedes can be called cheap). E class started in the 40K range for the base V6 and went up fast from there. It is good from stoplight to stoplight, but also does ok on top end to, got it up to 130 mph easy and had a lot more to go. Like I said its not a Vette or Porsche but better than 80% of whats out there as far as speed and power. Of course its the looks that get the most attention until more are sold. No other car looks like it right now, the 2010 Camaro may look like it but if GM dies they wont even be made.

Cool car man... Although, I'm not too keen on them myself. Don't get get me wrong, but it's been done, like almost 40 years go. I like the retro thing going on now, but I think the Challenger is just TOO retro. Almost a carbon copy imo... No offence intended, it sounds like you are enjoying it, and that's all that matters :thumbup:

I've been thinking about taking my GTO down to Dodge and pretending I want to trade it in just to drive the Challenger and check it out. People around here that I've talked to don't seem very impressed with it; but it sounds like you like it.

I'm sure the Camaro will be made, they're due to be on lots in early March. Although it does sound like GM is doing bad, I think if any of the big 3 take a dive, the first will be Ford. I know I'll be down there when the Camaro's come in!