Header or Manifold?

zerow

Its funny how things show up when you buy a replacement...

I recently found my original L18 exhaust manifold, no smog ports, AFTER I bought a header from a fellow Ratsun-er.

So, with a new exhaust in order after my 610 comes back from body work, do I go header or manifold??

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Header: Just the actual header. I have the reducer, but everything else will have to be fabbed/welded.

Manifold: Surprise! I have it and the flange with metal to the middle of the car.

Pac: Yes on both counts. Definitely not stock, but its not exactly custom either. A conglomeration of collected parts over the years. Stock parts, for sure. I used to have two (very) small Toyota parts on her, but right now...all Nissan.

hang_510: Doesn't work as it should?? The mani is not cracked and the header has never been used. Is there more power to using one or the other??

hainz: you mean the y-pipe (down pipe) after the manifold?? I've got it.

Is there more power to using one or the other??

header: only if extensive head work was done.

start w/the stock mani and if its not loud enough, then swap in the header.

butt HP will increase :D

or just sell the header after your happy w/the perfrormance.

nope, not untill high rpm runs will it noisy. just depends on what you consider noisy, what muffler, and what size pipe for your exact application. the header just makes the tone sound more sofisticated. lol thats the best to explain it. i noticed a huge change in tone with my zcars header

If your motor is stock for the most part I would say use the stock manifold as it is not that bad. I would use a header if you have extensive work like more compression or head work and cam. Headers mainly help top end. Another advantage of the header may be weight savings but I have seen some strong L series motor even using stock manifolds. I am even considering changing back to a stock manifold for reliability and I am making a good amount of power.

I'm planning on running stock for now with intent to go more powerful later. I'm reeling from the bodywork cost. I have a W53 head waiting in the wings for her time in the machine shop. I will be running a better cam. I want to get noticed, but not by the local 5-0. Interior compartment noise is something iI can deaden with soundproofing, which was high on my list anyway. After the replies (thank you!) I think I will be running the header and keep the manifold for a rainy day.

my opinion is stay with the manifold or find an L20 version of the same manifold (they flow better). 4-1 headers are good for high RPM use they actually cost torque in the lower RPM range. The stock manifold is a 4-2-1 or tri-Y they are good for low to midrange torque or if you get an L20 version it would be good to 7600 RPM (ran that setup on my GT-4 car) just my opinion.

my opinion is stay with the manifold or find an L20 version of the same manifold (they flow better). 4-1 headers are good for high RPM use they actually cost torque in the lower RPM range. The stock manifold is a 4-2-1 or tri-Y they are good for low to midrange torque or if you get an L20 version it would be good to 7600 RPM (ran that setup on my GT-4 car) just my opinion.

What is an L20 version? Surely you mean an L20B? I thought there were only two stock exhausts for the L20B... the stove pipe type till about 78 and the 4 into 1 '78 and up. Were there different ones for the cars?