instrument voltage regulator

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I took the regulator case apart, cleaned it and every other connection on the circuit board. Everything looked like it should work, but I still got nothing! Even cleaned every connection on the wireing harness all the way back to the gas tank, including the ground back there. Nothing worked.

That replacement fixed it pronto.

No, stop throwing parts at it. Unlikely both units are bad at same time. Ground the wire going to the temp sender and gauge should read full hot. Ground the wire to the fuel tank and it should read full. If they don't read then it's not the senders and you just saved yourself a lot of time and money. The fuel sender wire is exposed to mud, water and could easily have corroded off or the ground wire at the tank is no good. The temp sender wire could be off or corroded/bad contact or wire broken somewhere.

Do your turn signals work??? They are on the same fuse as the voltage regulator that supplies the two senders.

Similar issue on my 74 620. The gas & temp gauges do work. Meaning theyre not frozen in 1 position. Wierd thing is that every time i start the truck the gas gauge reads different EVERY time & same issue w/the temp gauge except it usually reads in the HOT range. I just replaced the entire upper thermo. housing including the temp sender. Do the 620's have the same instument voltage regulator? If not what would cause intermittent gauge readings?

All my signals work except for one reverse light. My fuel guage when I turn on the car moves barley but not giving anywhere near a acuarte reading. My temp does not move at all.

Pull the wire off at the temp sender in the thermostat housing and touch it to ground..... the gauge should move to HOT. Try it.

i see this all the time. clean the connections at the sending units. like mike said, when in doubt ground that damn wire on the frame body or engine to test the gauge. but clean it with sand paper or something first. water temp sending unit and wire corrode from water and the fuel sending unit get muddy from road and tire dirt. clean them people.

ha ha well i peeped my thermostat and my temp wasnt even hookd up. i located my the wire grounded it and sure enough went hot. so today i went to the junk yard picked a plug to fit the temp sensor nipple. also got a rear view mirror off a 74 wagon. going bak tommorrow to snag the nissan electric fan off the wagon. but for my fuel guage not working is it a bad sending unit?