4dr SRVE proud new owner!

macgyver

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That R180 will drop right in but you'll need the R180's shafts. You could use the R160's but will first have to remove the dust shields otherwise it'll cut up the diffs shaft seal. Pull the diffs cover and see what the ratio is and pray it isn't 37:11 or 37/11=3.36. My buddy Qwik510 has the 3.36 in his Brock 510 with L20b and SU's and 5-speed andf says though it's great on hiway it's doggy anywhere else. If it's a 3.54 ratio 39:11 that would be much better though maybe a bit doggie in 3rd 4th depending on the power output of your motor. I'll save you some time,,if that diff is out of an automatic it's a 3.54, if out of a 4-speed 3.36. I have a few diffs, a R180 3.70 ratio, a Subie LSD clutch pack direct replacement diff 3.70 ratio and a couple stock 510 diffs with 3.70 ratio. Been thinking (thinking) about selling the Subie diff, it has the Perrin diff cover and is in excellent excellent shape. Replaced it with R180 3.54 diff because I though it was going bad, turned out the muffler was ever so slightly hitting up against undercoating making it sound like the diff. I'm in no hurry to replace diff because I have CV axles safety wired that makes it a job and a half to replace.

thanks for the info, I have the r180 half shafts as well. I think it is the 3.36 ratio so not sure what I would have to do to change it or if it would be better to go with something else. I got it way back in the 90s before all the web was like it is today just had 510 Again news letters and the a copy of the UFO news letters I bought back then. I love the Internet and YouTube these days. I do plan to put an L20b in it with Mlkuni dule side drafts.
  • 2 weeks later...

Your car is looking real good.

Thanks!

So I've been driving her everyday I can, I ordered a new seal about 2 months ago but didn't want to miss out on the nice summer/fall driving days...

I just had it picked up....

My bro-in-law has a body shop.

He's going to wet sand the entire car, hit a few little spots where some surface rust is just starting.. And than Matt clear it! Plus new undercoating!

Can wait to get her back.

Have to say it was a battle dealing with this rear diff but well worth the wait and issues I had installing everything. The Test drive was unbelievable! This cv conversion is hands down the best upgrade you could do to your dime! She rides so smooth ESP at my ride hieght....it feels like a new car! The Sti rear LSD is working as it should and the lower gear ratio isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Bonus are the lower rpm's at high way speeds. Love it!

Moving on the my next "fix".

Why was it such a battle?  I'm looking to do this same kit, but it looks really straight forward.  Curious to get your take.

Why was it such a battle? I'm looking to do this same kit, but it looks really straight forward. Curious to get your take.

Hey steadfast, the conversion was Pretty straight forward, just needed to install the input shalfs into the diff before installing the diff. It's still the best modifaction I think for these dimes ...my battle wasn't with the new set up or its install, it was everything I tried to do to "Fix" my r160lsd multipul times, looking for a replacement and so on and so on.

So for the confusion

Hey steadfast, the conversion was Pretty straight forward, just needed to install the input shalfs into the diff before installing the diff. It's still the best modifaction I think for these dimes ...my battle wasn't with the new set up or its install, it was everything I tried to do to "Fix" my r160lsd multipul times, looking for a replacement and so on and so on.

So for the confusion

Did you have to specify that it was a Subi R180 or is it just this one: 

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import-axles/datsun/datsun-510-240z-with-r180-differential-108mm-cv-conversion-kit

Looks fabulous! Just the right amount of mojo.

Thank you! I have to be honest, I was really worried that it wouldn't have enough shine to it but when I walked through the hanging tarps and saw it, it came out better than I thought it would. So glad I stuck with my guns, my bro in law was begging me to have him go through all the body work and make it "like" new again.

It's only "original" once and I wanted to protect that quality and character she's aquired over her life time.