stupid question / help on the seal!!

While the driveshaft is out, bang a new seal in. You should do this any time it's convenient to do so. They are only $4 and a minute to put in.

cost me 10 but so wut..lol..had a question though.. wen installing it should it just fit flush or go all the way inside to where ders a stopping point? And wut did u use to bang the new one in.. im thinking of using a 32mm socket with a piece of wood behind it to hammer it in evenly..wut u think?
  • Like 1
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Block of wood over it to start and then poked it in with a smaller dowel. Make sure you grease the seal lips.

well i cant do it with a flat piece of wood because of the output shaft.. i found a 2" piece of aluminum pipe in my back yard..fits perfect around the seal..ima try that..and mike should it fit flush with the core? Orshould the seal be pushed in a lil more?
  • Like 1

I carefully tap them in till they bottom, this will keep them aligned. A proper sized pipe will also do this. Don't crush them. The last one I installed was thinner? than the one I took out so when set in place the seal lips were a couple of mm farther into the transmission. I believe replacement front chev crank seals are this way also. The lips are now sealing an untouched, unworn place on the spline.

• Like 1

I carefully tap them in till they bottom, this will keep them aligned. A proper sized pipe will also do this. Don't crush them. The last one I installed was thinner? than the one I took out so when set in place the seal lips were a couple of mm farther into the transmission. I believe replacement front chev crank seals are this way also. The lips are now sealing an untouched, unworn place on the spline.

yes i noticed that the new seal is thinner aswell thats why i asked if i should push it all the way in.. and your saying yah so ill do that..thanks mike
  • Like 1

I had to supply the support bearing when I got charged $240. You got a good price!!! Those bearings can run $75. And yo got the u-joints that you can reach the grease nipple on, instead of it being between the cups in the cast iron area. Very nice.

actually i supplied the bearing aswell.. he charged me 228.00 after all..plus i think the bearing was around 75.. so 303 total..give or take..
  • Like 1

ok cool.. the seal was really easy to slide in..is that normal should it have been a lil harder? And yes mike its a 73.. howd you know?

It shouldn't 'slide in', it should be a snug fit in order to seal against the transmission case. You shouldn't have to 'pound' it in either.

Doubt it's the wrong seal. The part number is 32136-U0100 and this seal was common to EVERY Nissan car from '70 up (not the 510 or 521) even the Xterra and may still be being used.

mike really knows his trannies

• Like 2

It shouldn't 'slide in', it should be a snug fit in order to seal against the transmission case. You shouldn't have to 'pound' it in either.

Doubt it's the wrong seal. The part number is 32136-U0100 and this seal was common to EVERY Nissan car from '70 up (not the 510 or 521) even the Xterra and may still be being used.

this is the one i purchased from napa..2vt2s5s.jpgspecs..2mo2rfc.jpg
  • Like 1