620 Pictures

butcherboyjc

I have been in this forum a couple of months and learned great and valuable information. This is a great community to be a part of. I have a 1974 Datsun 620. I recently did an alternator upgrade. I used a 1991 Nissan 240 (ka24de) alternator I only had to straighten out and bend the upper alternator bracket to make it fit. I didnt have to change my thermostat housing because it didnt get in the way. I put ellipsoid headlights, took the hooks off, dropped the rear, and purchased a great spook spoiler from Steroid (Mike). Great craftsmanship on the spoiler Im really happy with the quality. I have to upgrade the wiring for the charging circuit and for the headlight assembly as soon as the I receive the wires I ordered from Jegs. Next on my to do list is a disk brake set up, custom upper control arm method, that I need to contact Beebani for, and front coilovers. In the way way future a KA24de swap, which is sitting in the garage. :)

DSCF2425.jpg

DSCF2428.jpg

DSCF2429.jpg

DSCF2423.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...I put ellipsoid headlights...

DSCF2428.jpg

Wow, Nice looking truck!

I wanted to see how one of these looked with quad ellipsoid lights. My question is answered. Does it cause the high beams to spread differently??

It is 80 Amps and i took it to an alternator shop where they freshened it up and replaced the serpentine pulley with a V groove pulley. The only thing that didnt line up was the upper alternator mount. I saw that a member here used a turn buckle for the upper mount or bend the original mount. I used an oxy acetelyn torch to heat and bend it.:)

I have been in this forum a couple of months and learned great and valuable information. This is a great community to be a part of. I have a 1974 Datsun 620. I recently did an alternator upgrade. I used a 1991 Nissan 240 (ka24de) alternator I only had to straighten out and bend the upper alternator bracket to make it fit. I didnt have to change my thermostat housing because it didnt get in the way. I put ellipsoid headlights, took the hooks off, dropped the rear, and purchased a great spook spoiler from Steroid (Mike). Great craftsmanship on the spoiler Im really happy with the quality. I have to upgrade the wiring for the charging circuit and for the headlight assembly as soon as the I receive the wires I ordered from Jegs. Next on my to do list is a disk brake set up, custom upper control arm method, that I need to contact Beebani for, and front coilovers. In the way way future a KA24de swap, which is sitting in the garage. :)

DSCF2429.jpg

It is 80 Amps and i took it to an alternator shop where they freshened it up and replaced the serpentine pulley with a V groove pulley. The only thing that didnt line up was the upper alternator mount. I saw that a member here used a turn buckle for the upper mount or bend the original mount. I used an oxy acetelyn torch to heat and bend it.:)

Care to elaborate on the wiring? I have a KA alt sitting in my garage and my alt on the pickup just took a shit. That's my project for the weekend if ya can help.

Sick truck by the way! Super clean

your truck looks nice. I like the 2 tone color, especially the white roof, white wheels, are you going to paint the front spoiler which looks sweet. Also like the no HOOKS - did I just say that out loud. the wifey gives the truck a :thumbsup: keep up the nice work.

Edited by 420n620
??

Thanks everyone. There are two wires on the plug of the alternator, white and yellow. The yellow wire goes to your charge lamp, white and red stripe wire. The white wire loops around ang connects to the alternator output post which also goes to your positive battery post. Negative terminal, ground, is hooked up the bolt on the case of the alternator. The unused wires on the external voltage regulator that arent used can be capped individually. i used a larger belt than stock. All this made a big difference now I have brighter lights.

To install the lights I cut the headlight buckets to fit the bmw lights because theyre wider. On the bmw lights I cut the tabs with a dremel tool. Also I got a smaller battery for a civic, optima yellow top because the lights on the passenger side wouldnt fit.

Thanks for the pictures, I think I have an idea how you did it now. Guess ill have to pick up a set and give it a shot. Thanks alot

Hi Juan,

The truck looks cool!! You got the spoiler installed right, it lines up nicely. I hope it wasn't too hard as I have to drill the holes from the inside out using an angle drill. Was that what You used? It was pretty incredible meeting Pete Brock on Sunday. He is the man who designed that style of spoiler in 1973. I couldn't find one so I built the blank that Your's was made from Myself from memory. Pete signed a few things for Me including the product review in Street Rodder of December 1973. He was blown away to see 35 years later a spoiler once again on a Datsun pickup!! You have a piece of history! The lights look nice too!!

You're welcome! It's good to be a part of adding another 620 custom to the family!! What is crazy is that I had tried for over 6 years to locate a BRE original spoiler. I finally gave up and built the blank. Now since they are available, over 5 have surfaced. David Murphy found one on ebay and actually one is on there now!! Of all things, it is on the red 4X4 in Florida that is listed. A spoiler on a 4X4????? Anyway, at least the "look" is back!

A new era of oldness!!

If anyone ever had any doubts about where, when and who developed the first spoiler, let this scan eliminate all doubts. This product review was in Street Rodder magazine of December 1973. When You take in account that a December magazine is probibly being put together 4 or 5 months earlier, then I would put production of the BRE Interpart 620 spoiler early in 1973. Pete Brock discussed this a little bit with Me on Sunday and added His signiature. Pete Brock, in My opinion, is the father of 620 customization. He did mention to Me that Nissan didn't want anything to do with sales of the spoilers. I told Him "Well, attending a truck run with about 800 trucks running spoilers sure shot that idea down!". He was truly impressed to see one (even it is My copy and not a genuine BRE spoiler) on My truck 36 years later.

PeteBrockauto.jpg

• 1 year later...

I figure I should add to my first post about my truck. I must sell, but not because I want to. I had fun with this great truck but I purchased a 4 door 510. I cant keep both. So I want to sell the truck as a roller I will be using the KA in the truck for the 510. So the 620 WILL NOT have the headlights/fog lights pictured, fender mirrors, battery, engine, transmission, exhaust, fuel pump, AN fittings and fuel line, engine and cab wiring harness. I know I will not get back what I put in it, and I am not asking for that. So I would like to sell as a roller which is easier for me but if enough people are interested in parts I will consider parting out.

So the truck needs body work I welded the bed seems and the tailgate shut, the bed cover is fully functional but needs to be finished as in, body work and paint. The truck has front disc brakes beebani's upper control arms, I also have the rear disc brackets just the brackets. Just recently purchase front end components but never installed.

$1300 for the truck as a roller with everything.

$280 QA1 adjustable coil overs and springs

$300 new steering compononets center links tie rod assembly idler arm ball joints upper and lower

$210 belltech #2005 drop spindles

$400 tires and rims lugnuts

$400 tannau cover and hardware

$60 front spoiler (not pictured in this post)

$120 5 extra 16x10 rims

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg