L20b turbo

Guest 77ratsun

Guest 77ratsun

Anyone know of a company that makes an l20b turbo kit or should I just design one myself??

I'm thinking of either boosting my stock l20b or swapping it with a ka.

Anyone have any experience with either boosting an l20b or doing a ka swap???

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen nicely done turbo L4s, and I've seen really poorly done ones.

If you google Things like turbo L4, or Turbo L20B, or Turbo 620, you will find pictures.

I don't think you will find any kits.

But, are you going to build a better lower end? Stock rods, cast pistons, and compression ratio don't work for s#it.

How are you going to handle ignition retard as boost comes up?

You will also need more oil flow, as all turbos need anditional oil to cool & lubricate them.

And what do you plan for the fuel system? Carbs, either blow through, or suck through, bon't work very well.

That is why factory turbos have been around since the '60s, but all were problem prone. It wasn't until ECUs, and injectors came along that turbo systems became workable, and dependable. So to do one right, you are looking at a stand-alone ECU. Then you need a pro tuner set it up, or you risk frying something.

The 3 questions you need to answer, is Do I want it, Do I need it, and Can I afford it?

• Like 2

I didn't realize this was the timing guy.

Yeah, doing a turbo system is probably not a good idea.

Too many things that can go a little wrong, and end up a lot bad.

• Like 2

You'd better get to know timing forward, backward and inside out before you even THINK about boosting.  You have to pass Kindergarten before getting your doctorate and if you can't afford local help, you definitely can't afford to get a turbo wrong.  Building an L20b into a turbo beast that'll work and not implode/explode is going to set you back minimum $4-5k in parts, and a moderate amount of fabrication or it'll be a time bomb aka pound out rod bearings before you can get it to stay running.  

• Like 2
Guest 77ratsun

You'd better get to know timing forward, backward and inside out before you even THINK about boosting. You have to pass Kindergarten before getting your doctorate and if you can't afford local help, you definitely can't afford to get a turbo wrong. Building an L20b into a turbo beast that'll work and not implode/explode is going to set you back minimum $4-5k in parts, and a moderate amount of fabrication or it'll be a time bomb aka pound out rod bearings before you can get it to stay running.

Lol I know more than you think and I'm just going to ka swap it cause It'll be eazy

• Like 1

Lol I know more than you think and I'm just going to ka swap it cause It'll be eazy

If that's the case, you wouldn't have thought the timing chain was 180-out.  You're an idiot, and the sooner you realize it, the less mistakes you'll make.  You couldn't figure out how to time the engine.  If you can't turn a distributor properly, I don't really care how well you can build a custom motor mount.  You may want to treat people a little nicer here if you're going to coma and ask for free help.  This forum is a small community.  Either become a healthy part of it, or you'll eventually either be ignored or chased out with flames and pitchforks.  Follow up your posts with progress reports, good or bad.  If you don't let people know what you did and how it worked, you will get no more help from those who hold the answers.  

I can't count how many engines, cars, and swaps I've built/restored/completed.  None of them are easy.  That's the first sign that you're a rookie.  My first V8 EFI swap was 25 years ago and I started and finished it in 6 days.   Easy?  Hell no and if I told you it was, anyone with any common sense would know better.  Now stop poking lions with sticks and play nice.  

• Like 2