KA 5 speed to L series engine

slodat

I am aware that with a small amount of machining the KA gear set can be mated up to the front section("bell housing") of an L series 5 speed. I have been looking for a late ZX 5 speed for my car for the .75 5th gear to go with my 4.11 rear diff. In looking at some KA 5 speed info, it has a .759 5th gear. They also use a much better shifter setup. This seems like it might be a much better way to go.

Has anyone done this? Any reason I shouldn't?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just not a fan of the "H" box trannys, cutting the tunnel sucks!! I'm going to use a ZX trans in my 68 when I do the KA swap. I want to be able to keep the stock shifter and tunnel cover. O and we have the DL already :D

That doesn't do anything for me :D

I'm sold on the FS5W71C gear set swap into the FS5W71B front case. Now I just have to find the two transmissions...

I believe thats what im going to be doing as well. So I just checked my notes after reading other posts about this. Ill be doing a KA24e into a 73 620. All I need transwise is

81-83 280zx trans (any other trans with similar gear ratios?) I noticed the 84-89 z31 n/a has the FS5W71C w/ final drive ratio of 0.759, that would work yeah?

napz bell housing? (which kinda car/truck is best to get this from?)

long tail drive shaft? (any particular one?)

Then it will all bolt up without having to mess with the tunnel, trans mount ? Just want to make sure on the specifics before I start buying stuff. I pulled most of that info from icehouses build thread.

Edited by sanitys
I believe thats what im going to be doing as well. So I just checked my notes after reading other posts about this. Ill be doing a KA24e into a 73 620. All I need transwise is

81-83 280zx trans (any other trans with similar gear ratios?) I noticed the 84-89 z31 n/a has the FS5W71C w/ final drive ratio of 0.759, that would work yeah?

napz bell housing? (which kinda car/truck is best to get this from?)

long tail drive shaft? (any particular one?)

Then it will all bolt up without having to mess with the tunnel, trans mount ? Just want to make sure on the specifics before I start buying stuff. I pulled most of that info from icehouses build thread.

Pretty sure all KA standards were the FS5W71'C' so if you intend to use the KA24E motor then just get the KA tranny that comes with it. The tranny from a 240sx or D-21 that has the KA24E motor should work.

If you have a 'C' type tranny and want to run it on an L series motor then yes you will need the bell from an L series FS5W71B. (not 4spd.)

The 'C' type was introduced in or around '86 and is about 2" longer than the older 'B' tranny. If you find a 'C' type tranny from a VG or a CA motor and want to run it on a KA24E then again, the bell must be swapped for either a KA or a NAPS Z series. Keep in mind that the doner for the bell does not have to be in working order so should be cheap. Be sure to check the front case where the lower bearing sits. This is a problem area for 'B' type trannys and a larger bearing is used in the 'C'.

The NAPS Z series 5spd bell (4spd won't work) can be found on the:

'80-'83 200sx with Z20E and Z22E motor.

'81-'86.5 720 truck with Z20, Z22, Z24, Z24i motor.

Edited by datzenmike
I am aware that with a small amount of machining the KA gear set can be mated up to the front section("bell housing") of an L series 5 speed. I have been looking for a late ZX 5 speed for my car for the .75 5th gear to go with my 4.11 rear diff. In looking at some KA 5 speed info, it has a .759 5th gear. They also use a much better shifter setup. This seems like it might be a much better way to go.

Has anyone done this? Any reason I shouldn't?

hybridz.org has good write ups on this and all the work involved. peace.

That doesn't do anything for me :D

I'm sold on the FS5W71C gear set swap into the FS5W71B front case. Now I just have to find the two transmissions...

Pretty sure all KA standards were the FS5W71'C' so if you intend to use the KA24E motor then just get the KA tranny that comes with it. The tranny from a 240sx or D-21 that has the KA24E motor should work.

If you have a 'C' type tranny and want to run it on an L series motor then yes you will need the bell from an L series FS5W71B. (not 4spd.)

The 'C' type was introduced in or around '86 and is about 2" longer than the older 'B' tranny. If you find a 'C' type tranny from a VG or a CA motor and want to run it on a KA24E then again, the bell must be swapped for either a KA or a NAPS Z series. Keep in mind that the doner for the bell does not have to be in working order so should be cheap. Be sure to check the front case where the lower bearing sits. This is a problem area for 'B' type trannys and a larger bearing is used in the 'C'.

The NAPS Z series 5spd bell (4spd won't work) can be found on the:

'80-'83 200sx with Z20E and Z22E motor.

'81-'86.5 720 truck with Z20, Z22, Z24, Z24i motor.

thanks for the additional info, Ill be sure to add it to my notes. Now if I were to just use the KA trans that would require firewall/tunnel mods, trans mount, and driveshaft? For some reason in my first post i was thinking the 280zx trans was a "C", but after reading your post and doing some more research I see its a "B". Here is what i used as a reference

http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/nissan-transmission-codes.php?osCsid=08ec8m99rpsooconjvff1ruju1

Edited by sanitys
if you even wanted you can use the z32 tranny with the kit from the hybridz guys. apparntly they shift nice and it all works nice. just a little machining, but very smooth and strong.

It would not fit in a 510 L-series tranny tunnel without some heavy hammering.

I'm just wondering if the ka trans is quieter than the zx tranny? That's the only reason I would go to the trouble of swapping. I need different rear end gears with the smaller tires I have.

not sure if its quieter. Im gonna try getting my hands on one and test fit it when my truck gets here. hopefully it doesnt require too much tunnel work, and the transmount is atleast similar, guess we will see.

• 2 weeks later...

there seems to be a lot of information in peoples heads about what fits, what works, what doesn't... but I've been scouring the web for some sort of matrix that displays this information in a readily digestible form.something like a table with engines down the left side, trannys across the top, and in each cell list the cars they will fit in with notation to indicate how much modification is required.

It's actually not too bad. There are four things that come in to play.

1. "Bell housing". The Datsun transmissions don't have a bell housing in the chevy sense of the word. What we are referring to is the front half of the transmission. The bell housing needs to match the engine it is being mated up to.

2. Length. When talking L series, there are two lengths. Short, which is what's stock in '68-'73 510's, L powered 521's and early 620's, is about 26" or so long. The long transmission came in the Z cars (240z, 260z, 280z), the ZX ('79-'83 ZX), 74 and later 620's. The dogleg shift pattern 5 speed that most refer to is the short length and came in '77-79 200sx and HL510.

3. Driveshaft length and yoke. All have the same yoke, except the ZX Turbo BW T-5. You have to shorten your driveshaft when you install a longer transmission.

4. Mount and crossmember. Usually, if you install a long 5 speed in place of a short 4 speed, you will have to address the mount and crossmember - because it is now farther back on the car. Experimental Engineering makes a very nice crossmember for 510's that will work with pretty much any 5 speed.

Any transmission that came on an L series will bolt up to an L series engine. So, you can take a 5 speed from a 280ZX and bolt it up to the L16 in your 521.

What I started this thread about is using an the bell housing of an L series 5 speed (FS5W71B) with the rear section(gear set) from a later FS5W71C 5 speed. These came in several cars. Because I only want the gear set, I can pretty much use any of them - Z31 300ZX, S13 240SX are the ones I'm considering.

The reason I want to do this is I get a nice gear ratio and shifter of the later model transmission and can use it with my L series engine.

I hope this helps.

Edited by slodat
2eDeYe;91187']Well put...that should be the standard answer for....

Can I fit a 5-speed in my Datsun? :lol:

Since I'm stuck in Oklahoma and have nothing to do buy try my best to not spend money' date=' I may spend part of my weekend combining all the stuff I've found on the subject with DatzenMike's excellent photos and put it on my website. The bottom line when it comes to forums and people on them is a very few actually want to gain knowledge. Most want an answer spoon fed to them. So, I'll make a nice reference on the few things I'm familiar with and point people there instead of being annoyed by their laziness. RandyinRenton, previous comment was a generalization and in no way directed at you.

I'd like to get an automatic with more gears, broader range of gear ratio, and a better shift behavior... any suggestions?

The only 4 speed auto for L powered Datsuns was in the last few years of rear wheel drive Maxima's aka 810 and 280ZX. I have no use for an auto in a Datsun and have no more info on that.

Edited by slodat
I'd like to get an automatic with more gears, broader range of gear ratio, and a better shift behavior... any suggestions?

Here:

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=820

Beware this has an even lower over drive fourth than the infamous 280zx tranny!! It may be too much for an L20B to pull with stock gearing but would work great on a truck with super low gears or a light car.

Here:

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=820

Beware this has an even lower over drive fourth than the infamous 280zx tranny!! It may be too much for an L20B to pull with stock gearing but would work great on a truck with super low gears or a light car.

I was reading that thread earlier, and thought the gear ratios shown for the 4-speed auto variant were just about exactly what I had in mind. This thread seemed to be going towards newer models with more machining required, so I thought I would ask the same question in this context. there are lots of pretty cool transmissions out there these days and it seemed possible that some could be retrofitted to an L20B. Some with more effort, some with less. I figured somebody may have considered the possibilities.

For the record, I am a firm believer that spoon feeding anybody the answer on any given topic is doing you and them both a disservice. Spoon feed them facts and data and they'll find the answer that's right for them, and know why it's right for them. Of course they may find an answer others will think ridiculous, but hey, it's their ride, right?