Datsun 521 1970

silentcry1

I have a 1970 Datsun 521. I want to change my front suspension, that includes the brake. I wanted to know if you know of a swap. I have very old front suspension that I think I cannot use. Please let me know where and what are the steps to upgrading my front suspension. I have a Datsun 240 Z engine in it. Please let me know. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You sure? The 240Z was a 6 cylinder engine.

Front suspension. Cut the front frame from a '78-'79 620 and weld it on. Has disc brakes and ball joint suspension. Brakes can be up graded even more.

Really need more information... what's wrong with the 521 front end???

• Like 1

Cut the frames under the cab. Weld the '78/'79 front onto the 521. Better yet get a late 720 and bolt your 521 cab and box onto that frame. You get the ball joint suspension and latre larger front 720 calipers and vented rotors. 

• Like 1

Cut the frames under the cab. Weld the '78/'79 front onto the 521. Better yet get a late 720 and bolt your 521 cab and box onto that frame. You get the ball joint suspension and latre larger front 720 calipers and vented rotors. 

Or do as I am doing, i put a 1980 720 chassis under my 520.  I am now in the process of putting Belltech 2005 lowering spindles on my 1980 720 chassis.  this will lower the front 2" and also puts the later model 720 vented rotors and larger caliper.  The link to my build thread is below in my signature.

You sure? The 240Z was a 6 cylinder engine.

Front suspension. Cut the front frame from a '78-'79 620 and weld it on. Has disc brakes and ball joint suspension. Brakes can be up graded even more.

Really need more information... what's wrong with the 521 front end???

• Like 1

Sorry I have a 1970 521 Datsun truck. I have a 200SX Z engine with the 5 speed. I really do not want to cut from another truck and weld it to mine. Im need to this. I know how to rebuild an engine but all else not so good. If you have step by step for another up grade that would be good. The reason I want to rebuild my suspencion or upgrde (might as well) the truck was stolen and returned to be suspencion damage. So I prefer to upgrade or fix the original but I do not know were to get parts. I had the truck park for 4 years. I love the truck. 

• Like 1

I have a 1970 Datsun 521. I want to change my front suspension, that includes the brake. I wanted to know if you know of a swap. I have very old front suspension that I think I cannot use. Please let me know where and what are the steps to upgrading my front suspension. I have a Datsun 240 Z engine in it. Please let me know. Thank you.

Better find out what needs fixing and what does not. 

Well the torsion bars don't 'wear out' and can be adjusted for any sag.

Shocks you can buy just about anywhere.

Sway bars doesn't wear out but the bushings on the links connecting it to the LCA can rot away. The rubber parts are replaceable.

Only thing left on the front suspension is the upper lower control arm bushings.

• Like 2

I would never put my truck in the yard. I want yo fix it and maybe let my son use it whe he turns 18 he gots 5 more years. Lol

I went to the junk yard today and found a 1973 suspension from a nissan truck will this fit my 1970 datsun truck? This is what happen to the truck. When the truck got stolen they destroyed my spokes rims and the ran it with out a rim, so the suspencion scraped the floor destroying my suspencion. They ran it hard. When the police gave it back to me there was oil all over the engine, it turns on but there is noise in the engine, so im planning on rebuilding the engine my self.so since i was putting money in to it. I wanted to see if i rebuild the suspencion or upgrade it... no im not made of money but i love old cars so I really, want to repair it and make it look good. So any suggestions would be great, and if upgrade to disk breaks even better. Im in San Diego. Thanks.

• Like 1

Please upload some picture of this thing

1) If you don't already have a photobucket account start one. its free

2) With a smart phone you can take a picture and upload it to your photobucket account

3) Once uploaded to photobucket, view your image and find the 'Share This Photo' bar, copy the IMG address

4) Now paste the copied image link from photobucket right in the text box when 'Replying to this topic'

Once you have pictures of the damage people can give better feedback to your questions

Also, you could look through the old threads on this forum to see what people have done with their projects, google search 'Datsun 521 suspension upgrade Ratsun' and you will find many threads on the subject

Edit: I did it here are some links. Not sure if they are what your looking for but they may help

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/1840-521-suspension-upgrades-needed-info/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/29481-521-suspension-upgrades/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/36633-restoring-front-suspension/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/31199-521s13-hybrid-build/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/23038-suspension-swap-on-521/

Edit: you could also try just scrolling through the Suspension tab on the home page to find ideas

• Like 1