521 Suspension Upgrades Needed (Info)

pl521sss

Looking for name of vendors that offers thicker front sway bar and rear sway bar if any.

Lowered my truck on the front, what is every one using for a shorterstiffer shock absorber? Provided that it's now lowered and will require decent amount of shock travel.

Same on the rear, soon to be lowered about 3 inch.

Thanks in advance

• Like 1
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the shocks me and Hainz run. I was happy with the quality but I think my truck was a little to low for them..... My buddy has some in the back of his wagon and he is very very happy with the ride quality.

KYB gas adjust part # KG4605a kg5447 one is front and one is rears.

Belltech blocks in back part# 6202 is 3in with 2deg angle for the carrier bearing.Got mine from Summit racing.

remove the pump stop up front.

I got my fron swaybar from Addco.com I believe.

I think they had 2 in stock 4 yrs agao and I got 1 of them. very ez to install

http://www.addco.net/Datsun-Ford_AntiSwaybars.htm#Datsunz

be honest just run the cheap gas shocks (Monroe) and call it good.

I got my KYBs cheap ,thats why I bought them.

nissanmotorsports had a listing of stronger torsion bars if you really serios I can give the #s but might not be avail anymore

It's now lowered!!

Used a 3'' block and removed #1 & 3 leaf spring.

Not sure what effect it will have on the ride but so far so good.

Not bouncy but defeats the purpose of my truck (parts hauler).

I doubt it will handle engines and such.

It sits about 24 28'' ground to apex of rear fender.

?action=view&current=521-sss002.jpg

?action=view&current=521-sss006.jpg

Looks pretty good... personally I like it either on the ground or with a bit of rake, but it's still a nice drop. How far below the frame are you? Probably only a couple inches, right? The PO dropped the back end of mine with 2" blocks, I think, and it's still pretty high... it must've had a huge rake to start off.

Actually, I checked today and I've got four leafs plus the overload (or whatever you call it... the short one at the very bottom of the pack)... I thought the 521's only came with either three or five leaf packs... is the main leaf (top one that mounts to the frame and shackles) included in the pack, or is it considered separate?

It's now lowered!!

Used a 3'' block and removed #1 & 3 leaf spring.

Looks good man!

I have my 3" drop blocks on the way right now. Did you have to remove the leaf springs for some reason? I've never droped anything before, so I am curious.

Are your torsions all the way lowered?

And couldn't he just get a bigger tire in the back if he wanted to get the raked look back?

pl521sss(truck looks good and also the wheels)

Later you can get a taller tire to feel up the wheel well if you want it to LOOk lower.

Fisch just use the drop blocks for now then if you want lower then pull a leaf.Buy a taller tire or taller rim then moderate sidewall

mine are 195/65/15,if I ran 195/50/15 there would be just to much gap and would really have to lower the truck so much to where its to low for Jacks and daily driver use

I persoanlly dont like pulling leafs.

I seen some pull alot of leafs and try to do a burn out and get axle wrap!!!Duh!!!!

Fisch

You got the classic old style look I think just stick with it. use the stock hubcaps and maybe get some white walls. Paint the stock rims maybe?

Thats a good DD stance IMO. I also removed a few leafs on my 521 & did 3 inch blocks but on the front the torsion bar bolts are maxed out...time to re-key the torsions to level it out. You can still haul stuff in yours, i put crap in mine all the time & my frame is 1/2 above the axle :blink:

I stopped by Brandon's (Fineline) place early that day.

And checked out his truck and projects.

He was just down the street from me.

Was telling him going to drop the rear and mentioned that removing 1 or 2 will even drop it further.

Form or function, form or function.

Form---------remove bottom and # 3 leaf.

I have yet to find out how much it can handle without those leafs.

Front torsion bars are maxed out.

It's sitting on the rubber frame bump stop.

Will be removing that and installing new shock absorber.

I need a final consensus on front shock absorber.

Using direct replacement shocks is OK or Not OK?

I looked up KYB gas adjust part # KG4605a and it's a direct replacement for a 521.

I'm still on the impression that lowered 521 (front) will require a shorter shocks.

I'm going for Tokico HP's despite it being made in China.

They do have lifetime warranty.

Again, part numbers please if anyone has them.

Thanks

---Abraham---

the KYB (GAS A JUST) are stiff!and more expensive!!!!!!!!! Mount the bottom then cut the strap and point it towards the hole that it goes thru!!!!!!

But I notice that the rubber bushing is not thick enough when screwing down the 14mm nut. it doesnt compress the bushing enough before the nut runs out of thread. Youll know what I mean when you do it. Maybe use one of the old bushings to stack it up so youll have enough thread

KYB GR2s are just a cheap replacement shock

Tokico Made in China??????? You sure?

Ill run a 10$ Monroe shocks before Ill put any Chinese parts on my car/truck but this is just me.

as stated earlier I went with a little taller tire since the 521 has such a low gear ratio and I was hoping for better top end and gas milage.

kyb gas adjusts or tokico illuminas are pretty decent... stay away from blues. they are "popular" but only because they are cheap in price but also cheaply made. they are outsourced in China but illuminas are built in japan

This is the info I got from pucancakes.

Wheather its true or not.

I'm not sure

belltech nitro drops are designed for lowered vehicle and are a great shock. theyre not spongy like kyb's but yet they provide a nice ride. Theyre pretty spendy at about 200 bucks for a set but IMO theyre way worth it. peace.

no offense but I had nitro drop shocks on my 2000 Tahoe limited and they were the worst shock ever, lasted not more than 6 months and they only replaced them once under warranty went to a Bilstein and the ride was SOO much better and the handling was much improved...for a TANK. look into any early model camaro shock (short stroke) 7" body and they should work and everyone makes shocks for those Koni, Bilstein, Qa1 and several others. Qa1 or Bilstein would be my choice kinda pricey but well worth it if you daily drive your truck

they replaced mine once as well, I figured it was just a fluke! I had rancho rs5000's on my old HB that were supposedly designed for a lowered vehicle and they made it handle awesome!! When I got the frontier I put the nitro drops on it and I could out corner my friends 510 down this one road that usually claims a few lives each year, DAMN FUN! Anyway, doesnt surprise me that bilsteins were better, I dont think they make one bad product. peace.

This is how your wagon would look like on 2051515 Wheels.

2'' block and #1 leaf spring (not the overload leaf) moved on top.

For those of you that wants a visual before you do it.

WPl510sss013.jpg

WPL510ss01.jpg

Removing the 2'' block cause it's now slightly lower at the back.

Replacing it with 1'' instead. It didn't look right. Would be nice if we have coil over on the front to adjust.