L20b con rod cap fel off. ;( Sad Christmas day

theeoracle

Well I had an eventful Christmas. I went to start my fresh L20b rebuild and a con rod cap fell off, chalk it up to experience on my first rebuild. ;( Well at least the damage isn't all that bad. It'll just cost me more time and money. So i'm thinking if i just get it bored that bolt imprint shouldn't be a big problem. What do you guys think? and does anybody have some l20b pistons ITM or something, with rings if possible, any compression in the 8s, or 9s will work, .040 also since one of my con rod caps got bent, ill also need a l20b conrod. The stock con rods are numbered for the cylinder, does it matter if they don't go back in the original position?10258796_913718598715305_362562718362472

1891428_913718595381972_6316455830103895

734738_913718602048638_33011774929204386

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any 145.9mm L20B or early Z22 rod will do the trick. In this instance any number will do but get a matched rod and cap for the broken one.

If the bore is measured and found within tolerance you can hone and reuse your pistons with cheap cast iron rings. If over boring get over size pistons first and have bored to match. If a fresh bore and finish you can use chrome rings.

Next time get a check list and have someone check your work.

• Like 1

I've relieved hits like that with a die grinder and a flap wheel and they've lived, gotta make sure it's not going to pinch the piston in there, measure around the area verrry carefully if doing that, wouldn't hurt to magnaflux where it hurt to make sure there isn't a crack.

Wouldn't hurt to check your torque wrench too.

Also helps not using 40 year old used bolts too

• Like 1

ARP bolts will do that also if skipped over when torquing them down. It would have made a hell of a noise before doing that. A good reason to run a muffler so you can hear things. I think SB chevy rod bolts will fit also.

yea it was header only. Do you have or know of anyone who has a 145.9mm conrod?

• Like 1

Well my crank actually is f'ed up after all. It's indented on the num 1 cylinder. I think it would be cheaper if I just get a z22 bottom end and slap on my l20b head. Rather then getting a new crank and ge ting the block bored. Plus I get a few extra hp. What do you guys think?

pics of indent on crank? can it be ground out?

why do you need to overbore, the dent is on the very bottom of the cylinder right?

over sized bearings and a crank grind would probably be cheaper easier, as you would probably have to go through the whole bottom end on the z block as it is, bored out new bearings, rings... 

Best to rebuild a Z22 block. (everything below the head) Swap EVERYTHING from the L20B except the block/crank/rods/pistons onto the Z22 block. Any L20B U67 or W58 head will work with manifolds.

Ok so the bore on the z22 is the same as the l20b. I want new pistons. And rings.

Ok so the bore on the z22 is the same as the l20b. I want new pistons. And rings.

Of course not. The Z22 is 87mm. You could over bore the L20B's 85mm by 2mm to '87mm and fit Z22 crank/rods/pistons too. Lots of options here. The Z22 block is already 87mm and could be bored 2mm to 89mm and KA pistons fitted for a 2.3 liter engine. That would be 4mm over bore on an L20B block which is a bit much.

• Like 1