Alignment and steering issues.

ramen tamer

I have the dog bones with good king pins in them, if you can bring the truck to my house when you get your tie rods I will gladly assist you with the tie rods and put on the good dog bones I have

Hey!  I can see your post!  

Thanks for the dog bones!  And the hubs.  And the extra kingpin kit.  I'm gonna have a whack at my truck, tomorrow, depending on the weather.  I'll keep you posted on how it goes and I'll be sure to let you know if I have more questions!

• Like 1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got those "stuck on the first part" blues.  All my nuts are being stubborn as hell.  Also, I need to go buy a pickle fork and some cotter pins.  And a sledgehammer.

But, at least I got it on jack stands.  That's a start.

I stuck my head under the truck and looked it all over.  Gave the tires a jiggle.  My kingpins are definitely shot.  But, with Rick's dog bones, if I can get these damn nuts to budge, it shouldn't be hard to replace.

Edit/Update

I go a cotter pin and castle nut off.  And another nut on the top end of the dog bone.  Took tire off.  Tried wedging a pickle fork in, but to no avail.  Damnedable stubborn tie rod.  

Tried taking the nuts on the bottom of the dog bone off.  No luck there either.  I realized that I probably need to take that little bolt out in the middle of the bottom of the dog bone off, first.  But, it's just gotten really dark, really fast, so I packed up my tools and now I'm gonna make me a bowl of ramen, drink some beers and watch tv.  

You win, today, truck. 

• Like 1

I might need a breaker bar.  I was hitting the crap out of my wrench with my new sledge, to no avail, followed by putting all my weight into it.  No budge.  I reckon it's about a 1 1/8th inch nut...  I'll head to the store next chance I get.  I guess this truck is about to become my new year's resolution.

• Like 1

be careful to tackle this

I had mine done by the machinist you had the reamer , press ect.  still cost me 250 for the labor. and those pins are a mother fucker.

if its not loose then don't change it to just be changing it.

I gave a set of extra 521 spindale to Mike but sure they are gone already. I got a extra set had them done and did a swap in one day then gave to mike so he can have it built and swap another dude

Call me in the A.M. if you want some help, will come up and lend you a hand

I'll give you a call, tomorrow, if you're still free.   I definitely need help.  I had work and all that, so I haven't been on here to see that post.

I got the top bolt out of the dog bone, and both the bottom nuts off (all on one side.  I'm only doing one side at a time).  Now, my hub and brake assembly are all wobbly and unsecured.  I should probably put that nut back in for now.

The new problem is that I'm not 100% sure how to get the brake and hub off of there, I bet there are little nuts that I undo, covered in the many years of grease on all that.  And also, I can't seem to get that little screw out from the middle of the bottom of the dog bone, which I'm pretty sure, means that I can't get the bottom end of the dog bone off.  I'd bet that little screw holds that thing in place.  But it's well stuck in there.  

Anyways, it's getting dark and cold, so I'm calling it quits for today.  A little progress is better than no progress.  I'll be back at it in the morning.

be careful to tackle this

I had mine done by the machinist you had the reamer , press ect.  still cost me 250 for the labor. and those pins are a mother fucker.

if its not loose then don't change it to just be changing it.

I gave a set of extra 521 spindale to Mike but sure they are gone already. I got a extra set had them done and did a swap in one day then gave to mike so he can have it built and swap another dude

Trust me, man, I ain't doing all this just for tickles.

Anyways, Rick came over yesterday and we sorted it out.  There's no way I would have gotten this far anytime soon without him showing me how to do it. 

Thanks again, Rick!

As for now, I'm waiting on some tie rods from RockAuto.  I've got the center bar ends and I'll put those on the bar either today or whenever, but I gotta wait for the tie rods before I can get this thing all back together.  Anyways, not long now!

Cheers!

I'm thinking about putting the new rod ends on the center rod thing, today.  I just opened the boxes and they're two different ends.  But they seem to match up pretty well.  And they're at least properly left and right rod ends.  Also, I went out and bought a grease gun.  Also got a proper socket wrench and some vice grips.  

I just checked my package shipment for the tie rods, also.  They are currently in Murfeesboro,TN.  But, FedEx seems to think I paid for overnight shipping.  I didn't, but I don't mind them getting here quickly.  Also, Murfeesboro is a pretty fun place.  I went to the hospital, there, once.

I think I might be able to sort out the rest of the front end work.  But I'm sure something soon will happen and I'll probably need your help, again, Rick.  I'll be sure to call.  You're awesome!  

Another thing that I learned from working on the truck is that I really need to get into shape.  I am so sore!

Edit!!!

Quick question. On my new tie rod ends, they've got these weird rubber things on them.  Am I supposed to take those off?  Or do I leave them on?  My old ones don't have them...That's why I'm curious.  Picture!

20160106_1655151.jpg

Will do!  Thanks.

I kind of thought it wouldn't make sense to take them off but, sometimes, I'm wrong.

Update:

Looks like the gang's all here.  Let's get this party started!

20160107_1134561.jpg

Update!

Tie rods and center link are all on.  I'm about to go tighten them down, but the mailman is nearby and my dog is having a conniption.

After that, I replace the hubs, grease them up, tighten the rest of everything down and then Robert's your father's brother! 

Second update:

I finally got the tie rods tightened down.  It was an enormous pain in the ass and was being a bastard every step of the way.  Most of them had those self-locking nuts with the rubber inside them.  Well, those tie rod knuckles tend to spin, so when attempting to tighten shit down, I was just spinning the bolt.  I figured it out, though.  I used my jack to apply pressure from underneath, on the bolts that pointed upwards, and I used the jack handle as a pry bar and wedged it against the frame and the tie rod knuckle on the bolts that pointed downward.  After much cussing, I got it sorted out.  I'd rather remove 100 rusty cotter pins from castle nuts than ever do that again.  After that, I tightened down all the bolts on the dog bone.  Anyways, I haven't put the wheel back on, yet, but I'm out of time, for today.  Gotta get ready for work.  But, I'll be back at it, tomorrow.

So, here's another update for all y'all.  I've been really busy the last week, so I haven't posted anything.  But, there hasn't been much to talk about.

I got all the new tie rods and ends all put in the truck and I took it back to Les Schwab for the alignment.  They, again, told me that it couldn't be done.  This time, their reasoning was that because it's engine had been swapped, an alignment could not be performed.  I decided that was a really stupid thing to say.  Akin to, "we can't fix your broken leg, you've got a pacemaker."

I pressed the issue and I was told that the center link was rubbing on the oil pan. To which I responded, "nuh-uh."  I was assured it was, but noting that I had just spent the better part of 3 days underneath that truck and I put the center link in the bastard, myself, I assured them that it wasn't.  They defaulted back to their engine swap excuse and I, irritated, left and went to work.

I've been driving it to and from work without issue, so I don't think it's too much of a problem.  But there's another auto shop I'll be taking it to when I have some more cash.

Anyways, today, I'll be changing the oil and my belt.  I have no clue when the last oil change was done, so, I imagine now is a good time to do it.  My belt is looking all ribbon-y on one end and squeaks like a bastard, so I imagine that needs replacing, too.  Also, the ribboned edge seems to be an issue of one of the pulleys being off kilter.  I'll need to figure that out.

The last problem I can think of is that my second gear bites a little unless I rev the crap out of first or unless I double clutch, so I need to change out my transmission fluid.  I hear tale that Redline MT-90 is the way to go.  

Cheers, guys!

Happy to hear you got it done

Couldn't have done it without your help!  

I just learned that I bought the wrong size of belt.  Thankfully, I checked before taking off the old one.  Unfortunately, I should have checked before running out and buying a new one.

Also, I've never seen oil as muddy and thick as what just came out of my engine.  Not a whole lot came out, either.  I reckon that, had I not changed it, I'd be looking for a new engine, soon.

• Like 1

Fuck!!!

I just looked at rockauto and the part #'s are the exact same for your 74 and my 79.

What led you to believe that the tie rod assemblies are different?

For some reason I thought that post-78 had the toe in and toe out adjustment on the outer arms.

I think just misread this write-up: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/56284-steering-linkage-replacement-a-nissan-720-truck-example/?hl=%2Btie+%2Brods and got confused.

That truck there in the write-up is an '86.  I think it was that write-up and then the disk brake thing on another write-up, where post-78 Datsuns have disks getting jumbled in my head.

My bad.

• Like 1

Please define muddy. Like brown in colour or just thick black?

Thick black.  Like the heaviest Russian imperial stout ever made.  Though, not nearly as enticing.  

Not at all translucent.  I've seen lighter colored india ink.  The bogs of the Florida panhandle would probably have been better lubricant.

Edit:

20160114_1318591.jpg

• Like 1