1976 datsun 710 (Mia)

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought the head went out so i bought a rebuild kit but when i got in there i found the reason it was given to me for free by the original owner... its a bad picture but those are the top and bottom rings(no lip on the bottom one) all 8 were seized inside the pistons. and i sent the head to get resurfaced. also yes i had a spark issue but i fixed that by making my own wires to and from the distributor, and buying a new coil, cap, wires, plugs, rotor, and points.0401161756_zpsdwnvddws.jpg

That will work.

I read your first few pages. Stuck rings should have been found during the compression test.

Low compression, yes. Then wet test would have failed the rings if your compression tester was functioning properly.

GL with round 2.

Well if nothing else you are alot more familiar with your car now. Things will only get easier from here.

Please check the block for straightness, they do warp too. My Z engine block was off a bit and required machining.....it happens.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok so got the head worked got it all back together and had no compression... So I checked my valve lash I think that's what it's called, adjusted it and now I have 140psi on all four, now I just need to figure out the timing, I got the two light colored links on the marks and the distributor shaft where I thought it was suppose to go but it's 180 off after a few minutes of cranking it.

New cap and rotor never hurts. But this could simply be the rotor is pointing between wires when the coil fires.

Set engine to TDC #1 and take the distributor out by removing the two 10mm bolts on the base of the pedestal. Look down inside you should see...

distributortiming.jpg

Notice there is a large and small half moon side. If you don't have this the oil pump/distributor drive spindle may be in wrong. No worries, it's an easy fix.

This is what it should look like. If it's off a tooth... it's super obvious. 

You can find TDC other ways too.

1. Pull the valve cover, the first two cam lobs should be at 10 and 2 o'clock.

2. The timing mark on the cam sprocket should line up with the timing mark on the front cam tower.

3. Pull the #1 spark plug, put a screw driver in there. Turn the engine over by hand. Feel the piston come to the apex of the stroke. This is either TDC or 180 out.