1976 datsun 710 (Mia)

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No

Yes it does I just did it it sparks off the found when I get it close now what?

So it does or doesn't make a spark??? Often a good way to check is to stick an old plug in the end of the coil high tension wire and lay on a grounded surface.

My bad. Either way it's not the stock set up so hard for me to know what's wrong. Normally the coil is 1 to 1.5 ohms resistance and the ballast is another 1.5 ohms. The start position on the ignition by-passe the resistor so the coil makes more powerful spark. When running in the on position, the ballast is switched in so the total is 3 ohms. This prevents the points burning out and the coil over heating.

Un-wire the coil and measure the resistance across the terminals. It should be around 3 ohms.

Do you have the original ballast for this? Any way to put this back to stock set up???

• Like 1

I've never seen a points distributor run without a ballast resistor. I bet that coil belongs to a different year vehicle. Seems likely the points may have overheated? If they are burned you can scuff the contact surfaces a bit with a point file (or sandpaper) that trick has gotten me home before.

I'd also run a compression test to verify compression since the rebuild too. How involved/thorough was the rebuild? Are your valves sealing properly?