• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

image_zps1j7p2zlm.jpg Taking the bearing caps off

image_zpsrhieoph2.jpg

After caps are off I massaged the gears out of the housing

There's a pin holding the gear cluster together which incidentally cannot be slid out with the ring gear in place so those bolts gotta go. I used a chisel and a hammer to flatten the lock tabs

image_zpsmf1n5u2i.jpg

I don't have any pics from here of the disassemble but make sure to keep an eye on the brass shims behind the gears, swapped out the small spline for the large, rebolt the ring gear then torque. and don't forget the lock tabs!

image_zps6mrtioey.jpg

• Like 1

So my options are

1. Buy used tranny for 600 with warranty

2. Have shop rebuild for 500 with warranty

500 for only changing out that ball bearing or does it include something else too?  :confused:

• Like 1

500 for only changing out that ball bearing or does it include something else too? :confused:[/quo

It's so pricey because these transmissions are a bitch to take apart and yes it was only for the ball bearings, I grabbed a replacement at a pick n pull 50% weekend

Oh wow.. If I were to live there I could have done it for almost nothing  :rofl: Volvos M47 was real pain in the ass too. But nice that you got the replacement! All the best for the build  :thumbup:

• Like 1

It was getting a sticky spot in the 3rd-4th gate. What ever the hell it is decided to just say fuck it and quit. If I hold it REAL hard in third it will work and fourth is there but it wont go in. All other gears seam fine. Fluid was changed to synth. about 5K miles ago. But yes, sixth was a little gravley. I love my truck and I wasn't willing to sacrifice the sixth gear for a NV4500.

• Like 2