Small block 521

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

image_zpspbua05ec.jpg

Tunnel is coming along nicely, it's 2 pieces that'll lift out when you unscrew the shifter just to make it easy as possible. Still thinking of the best way to attach it, self tappers would work but be kinda jank, could weld nuts to the backside and drill clearance holes for bolts or maybe use those speed clips dragsters use on their body panels... Anyone have experience with those?

• Like 2

the clips would be trick.  Mine used to be removable but I got tired of sealing it every time I took it off and on.  Now I just put the cab on the bed lmao maybe a reusable seal that slips over the metal like for doors?  whatever you do you want it strong enough to keep the driveline out of your lap in a worse case scenario situation.  Glad to see it move under power!!!  sounds good on the video you posted on facebook.

• Like 1

Thanks man! It was pretty nerve wracking it wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be, a little hard to steer but I've had vehicles with non power steering and it was pretty close. I was thinking for sealing I could get some glazing tape or gasket ing from the window shop I work at. And maybe getting a pipe hanger or something to use as a safety loop for the driveshaft

Did you put a Disc brake residual valve in your master cylinder? If you have the drum one still in, it will keep 10-12 pounds of pressure in the front lines and a disc brake only needs about 3. They will drag and at the least, wear the pads sooner. Worst is over heating the front brakes.

The willwood proportioning valve reduces rear line pressure variably up to about 60%. My 620 was raised about 16 inches with 31" tires. The weight transfer on braking was incredible and would easily lock the rears. If on a turn it would go into mad over steer and often when just pulling up to a stop sign. Having others drivers glare at you gets thin fast. I put that valve in line and dialed it back in stages by emergency stopping on pavement until the front just began sliding before the rears. Now I could brake hard with confidence rather than following 4 lengths behind someone.

You have extra weight and traction on the front wheels so they are going to take more braking pressure input before locking up. The rears still think this is an empty 521.