Plugging heater lines

MattC55

I have been googling for several days and have yet to find a definitive answer in regards to if this were the right place to plug. I have the "loop" in place that the PO put in due to leaky old hoses, and I have marked in red where I believe the plugs should be put. Am I correct? And should i just do the ol' bolt and hose clamp trick? 

20151017_112803_2.jpg

Here is a shot of the rest of the line:

20151017_153043.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of a bolt use a copper pipe cap that fits into the size of heater hose you now have and of course a hose clamp.  E.G. one half inch copper pipe end cap in a three quarter inch hose.  Copper pipe caps usually have a one sixteenth inch wall thickness. Pipe size is ID.

Copy that Doc, although I already have that in place (see pic 1), And I was told by Datzenmike that this was a serious no-no but after all the threads I have read.. It seems like a heated debate still. What's your take on it? Is my loop safe to run? Appreciate any opinions, for better or worse!

• Like 1

This was already asked and answered here... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/67778-a-kansas-z-rescue/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1308951

It will hook up and run either correctly or in a loop. BUT if you loop it, you are by passing some hot water past the rad. It would be better to plug the hose ends and not flow using a loop. Best would be to get the heater working, winter is coming.

• Like 2

I do not know about all the other Datsuns, but a 521 when you turn the water valve for the heater to "cold" position, coolant is stopped in the heater hoses.  So, if you need to eliminate the heater, plug the heater hoses. 

However, if your engine is starting to overheat, turning the heater on may be what makes it possible to drive far enough that you can deal with the problem, instead of being stranded.

• Like 1

I've done this several times in hot weather. The heater core is simply a smaller rad and in a pinch it does add cooling at the expense of an over heated cab. Again, it's not the end of the world to run that loop but in the summer, but if hot. it could cause an over heat condition.  

Actually Banzai, I have no choice as of now! The P/O did it, and I was just making sure he did it the RIGHT way, no hodge podge crap! Until I can replace the lines and/or the heater itself, it's the good ol shiver routine again. Of course, I had no heat or air in my el camino.... Or the impala..... Or the styleline.... And now my eclipse really isn't blowing as hot as it used to...  :sweat:  Guess I'm a sucker for freezing to death and then slow roasting in the summer....

My 521 heater crapped one winter in Ontario. Took the heater assy out of my '69 Charger and stood it up between the seats and ran longer hoses to it. Not much room but it blew hot air forward along the roof and defrosted the windows really well. What ever it takes....

• Like 1

Actually Banzai, I have no choice as of now! The P/O did it, and I was just making sure he did it the RIGHT way, no hodge podge crap! Until I can replace the lines and/or the heater itself, it's the good ol shiver routine again. Of course, I had no heat or air in my el camino.... Or the impala..... Or the styleline.... And now my eclipse really isn't blowing as hot as it used to...  :sweat:  Guess I'm a sucker for freezing to death and then slow roasting in the summer....

Go to your nearest truck stop and buy a 12v ceramic heater, don't use the cigarette lighter plug in (its pop fuses) use the alternative straight wiring with inline fuse already included, $29.00 well spent, kept me from freezing couple winters ago in Montana when my heater decided to crap out in my truck.

Flex-a-lite makes some retrofit heaters that are really nice and also not too expensive. Some of them come with fans, others do not. Summit carries one of them, but you can get the idea from here: http://www.summitracing.com/search/department/cooling-heating/section/heaters/brand/flex-a-lite?N=4294950709%2B4294925636%2B400226&SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending

• Like 1

I would not get an electric heater.  To make heat, that requires watts.  Even if you have a 100 amp alternator, that means you have about 1400 watts total to run all the electrical stuff in the car.

Alternator watts are not free.  The more current your alternator has to make, the greater load on the engine.  Less power to move you down the road.  More gasoline used to move you.

Coolant heat is free.  The engine is trying to get rid of heat.  When the heater is off, the thermostat opens more, and that heat is dumped out the radiator.

There are also heaters made for boats with inboard engines.  Search for a company called Heatercraft.

• Like 1