Alexzilla's '76 F10 - This is so stupid.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i keep wondering what (if any) 310 or early Sentra parts might be modded to fit an F10. I suspect there is no F10 performance information because no one has tried anything. Maybe somewhere online are sites with info lowering and suspension mods for 310s, but the info may not apply at all to F10s.

Inspired by your thread, I pulled the carb off my F10 a few days ago. This is a 310 carb I swapped on but never got the throttle cable hooked up to. I removed it so I could install all the junk on the throttle shaft from the original F10 carb onto the 310 carb, thinking they were way different  But when I set them side by side there is almost no difference. The 310 carb has one extra arm that isn't needed on the F10 but probably wouldn't have been in the way. So I probably didn't need to remove the carb, but I couldn't tell that with it on the car surrounded by vacuum hoses and smog junk. I may swap carb tops while it is off. The fuel inlet fitting on the 310 has a kind of a loose thread where it screw into the carb top. I may be able to fix it or just swap carb tops. It appears the screw holes are in the same position on both tops, but there may be other differences.

And the weather here is starting to cool down, so I may not get it back on until Spring. Years ago when I swapped the L20b into my 510 I did a lot of the work in the late Fall when the temps were in the upper 30s. I was inspired! I can't get that excited anymore, even for something on the 510.

Len

• Like 2

I figured this post may get you attention Len! In my searching, it seemed like you were involved in pretty much every F10 thread I came across.

I'm glad I inspired you to mess with yours a little bit. I actually prefer to work on my projects in the winter. I just have a little propane heater for my garage, but it does enough to keep me from freezing. Hopefully I'll be driving around long before it gets real cold here, and I'll be figuring out what I want to do to it next.

I definitely hear you on the 310 stuff. I saw in one of the threads you posted in that the 310 has a similar weird clutch as the F10. This is the issue with having a rare car, a first for me. I have to wonder how many of these are still driving in America.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

IMG_20151110_190111_zpsweind8jg.jpg

I cleaned and painted the wheels from dukerollo and am currently having some 185/70R13 Falken tires mounted. I wanted to try a dark bronze just to see. I like the color a lot, but I'm anxious to see them mounted on the car. If it sucks, I'll respray them. Also, my speedometer showed 70 mph when I was going 65 mph according to my GPS, so the .4" height I'll gain from these tires will narrow that gap just a tad while looking slightly meatier underneath.

• Like 4

IMG_20151110_190111_zpsweind8jg.jpg

I cleaned and painted the wheels from dukerollo and am currently having some 185/70R13 Falken tires mounted. I wanted to try a dark bronze just to see. I like the color a lot, but I'm anxious to see them mounted on the car. If it sucks, I'll respray them. Also, my speedometer showed 70 mph when I was going 65 mph according to my GPS, so the .4" height I'll gain from these tires will narrow that gap just a tad while looking slightly meatier underneath.

Not usually a fan of colored rims, gray or dark silver usually, but those might just work on a butterscotch car...

DSC_0012_zpsvrsydlsm.jpg

• Like 2

Over the weekend update:

I had planned on having it drivable by the end of the weekend, but that did not happen. The replacement passenger side CV axle that I ordered from Rock Auto turned out to be about one inch longer than the OEM axle. To remedy this, I'm going to use the CV joints & boots from the replacement axle on the OE axle. The good news is that I did get my hubs and drums back with new bearings, races, and seals pressed into them. At this point, my to-do list includes the aforementioned CV axle, install the new rear brake lines, and bleed the clutch and brakes.

• Like 1

I don't know if I mentioned the specifics of my F10 throttle cable problem in any earlier posts, so I'm going to post/re-post since the information may save you some grief. Where the outer sheath of the cable goes through the firewall, there is a plastic part molded  around the sheath. It has a flange with two holes and this is what bolts through the firewall and keeps the throttle cable outer sheath in place. On my F10, the inner part of the molded plastic has broken loose from the flange part which allows the entire cable to slip though the firewall when the gas pedal is depressed, and then doesn't move the throttle shaft arm at the carb. When the pedal is depressed, the inner cable and outer sheath move together and just flop around on top of the engine, rather than the cable moving inside the sheath.

Anyway, you should carefully examine the molded piece at the firewall on your F10 for cracks. I suspect it can be mended with JB Weld or some sort of epoxy putty to reinforce it. Once the piece breaks completely (like mine) I think it will be harder to fix. This breakage may not be a common F10 problem. I am reasonably sure mine has a replacement engine, and the plastic piece may have been cracked when hit by the engine R&R. So yours may be fine, but it is worth checking.

Len

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Unfortunately, I haven't been out driving it like a boss. The only things I am lacking is getting back the passenger side axle from a rebuild. I bought an axle from Rock Auto, but it is the wrong length, and every parts store in existence thinks that is the proper length. Once that is back, I just need to bleed the brakes and clutch and we're good to go.

I actually changed the oil and flushed the transmission last night after not giving her much attention recently.

13327525_10209851291541573_8459364646469

Most of my time recently has been spent tinkering with and racing this thing. It'll be featured in the July issue of RPM Magazine.

13329380_1191768834189441_80859291594175

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

I'm back! I've been busy doing race car stuff all summer, but I had the opportunity to finally stick the passenger side axle on it last night and set it back on the ground. Hopefully I can carve out a single day to finish it off in the next couple weeks and start driving it instead of that damn 15 mpg-getting Avalanche.

14064187_10210565273110666_7647921629745

• Like 3