Starter/spark plug issues

Emilio's79620

Your descriptions of what the starter is doing are quite confusing.  You said it isn't doing anything, then said it's clicking, now you say it's rolling.  Which is it?

1)  If it's doing nothing, it will make no sound at all.  The dash lights won't dim.  That's sign of a bad switch or broken/disconnected wiring.

2) If it does nothing EXCEPT make the lights dim or go out, that's either a dead battery or bad connections at the battery.

3)  If it goes "click" ONCE, and the lights go out, that's a bad connection at the battery.  Usually moving the battery cables makes the lights go back on, but it then just happens again unless they're cleaned and put on tight.

4) If it goes "CLANK", CLUNK. or something else relatively loud, dims the lights (but not out completely, every time you turn the key, that's usually the battery-to-starter cable isn't connected properly to the starter solenoid OR the starter is bad (bad brushes or a bad armature).

5) If it goes "Whrrrrrrrrr", sort of like a big drill, that's a bad bendix in the starter (it's spinning but not engaging the engine) OR you're missing teeth on the flywheel.

6) If it makes crunching clunking noises like a rock stuck in a garbage disposal that's a loose flywheel, broken ring gear, bad bendix, loose starter, or a myriad of very bad mechanical things.

7) If it goes Rrr-Rrrr-Rrr, that's the engine turning over.  If it's doing that too slowly, that's a bad battery, though it can be a weakened starter.

• Like 2
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the same thing happen in my second 510. I must have spent $250 chasing that gremlin, only to find it was my starter switch. Opened it up brushed off the contacts and BINGO! Hard way to learn you don't spend a dime until you'er 100% sure it needs to  be spent.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

So much good info! My truck won't start. I started on Sunday, there was one crank where nothing happened (non starter noise), then it started on the next turn. Changed spark plugs yesterday and nothing from the starter. I used a screw driver to test the starter. It cranked twice and now will only make a "Clank, Clunk" sound. I'm assuming its my starter after the screw driver test. I'll have o'rillys test the new starter at the store before I take it home.

If that doesn't work I'll try a new igniton switch and possibly a relay switch.

Does anyone know where I can get a fuse box diagram for my 77 620? I've tried searching. Also, is there a ignition or starter fuse?

I'm not sure if you helped this guy, but this thread had a lot of info for me! Thanks guys! Second time since I've had the truck ( a week) you guys have provided great information!

• Like 1

Make sure your battery is up to the job and charged up. Clean and tighten the battery terminal clamps, clean and tighten the negative cable where it bolts to the head behind the fuel pump, clean and tighten the positive battery cable where it bolts onto the starter. Don't assume! Do it.

If it (the starter) cranks the engine over every time when using a screwdriver, but hit or miss with the key, it can be two things. Possibly the ignition switch. More likely a weak voltage start signal getting to the starter from the ignition switch. This is where a hot start relay works best.

I started on Sunday, there was one crank where nothing happened (non starter noise), then it started on the next turn. Changed spark plugs yesterday and nothing from the starter. I used a screw driver to test the starter. It cranked twice and now will only make a "Clank, Clunk" sound. I'm assuming its my starter after the screw driver test. I'll have o'rillys test the new starter at the store before I take it home.

You know what you mean but not everyone else does. "there was one crank where nothing happened (non starter noise)"  It can't crank and also not make starter noise. I assume this was with the ignition key?

"I used a screw driver to test the starter. It cranked twice and now will only make a "Clank, Clunk" sound". All this using the screwdriver??? or the clank clank sound is with the key??

• Like 1

Make sure your battery is up to the job and charged up. Clean and tighten the battery terminal clamps, clean and tighten the negative cable where it bolts to the head behind the fuel pump, clean and tighten the positive battery cable where it bolts onto the starter. Don't assume! Do it.

All these items were double checked. I even tried to start it with the battery from my xterra with no luck. Used only the key, not screw driver while the Xterra battery was in. No noise besides the clicking of the relay on the passenger side (fuel pump relay?) and the "no seat belt" beep. I did not hear the starter at all.

If it (the starter) cranks the engine over every time when using a screwdriver, but hit or miss with the key, it can be two things. Possibly the ignition switch. More likely a weak voltage start signal getting to the starter from the ignition switch. This is where a hot start relay works best.

The starter does not crank the engine at all now (key or screwdriver don't do anything). It cranked it twice, but that was it. Now it just make a "clank/clunk" sound. It will only do this with the screw driver method, I do not hear anything when using the key. I tried wiring up the hot start relay and now the seat belt sound doesn't sound off unless I use the screw driver.

You know what you mean but not everyone else does. "there was one crank where nothing happened (non starter noise)"  It can't crank and also not make starter noise. I assume this was with the ignition key?

When I turn the key the relay clicks and the seat belt sound comes on, I can't hear the starter at all. When I use the screwdriver I hear the starter "Clank/Clunk" and well as the seat belt and relay.

"I used a screw driver to test the starter. It cranked twice and now will only make a "Clank, Clunk" sound". All this using the screwdriver??? or the clank clank sound is with the key??

"Clank/Clunk is only while using the screwdriver. I don't hear anything besides the relay and seat belt beep. While using the key.

I'm ordering a new starter today and a new ignition cylinder. I'm going to disconnect the hot start relay untill I have the new starter and cylinder installed.

• Like 1

Alright. I have the picture saved and the thread bookmarked. I'll triple check everything. I'll be installing the new starter and ign cylinder on sunday, so in the mean time I'll triple check and pretty up the hot start. The only thing i'm unsure of is the wire coming from the ign. cylinder going to the hot start relay. I connected it to the same black/yellow wire that went to the starter solinoid. One from close to the starter and the other from close to the ign cylinder.  So the relay has that same wire BLK/Yellow) going to it twice. Is that correct or am I suppose to connect a differnent wire from the cylinder?

On a side note: I did find 2 wires with a fuse connected to one and the other was loose, I connected those and my marker lights would stay on with or without the key in, so I unplugged that.

• Like 1