Starter/spark plug issues

Emilio's79620

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you kept your old starter because you've probably just spent $60 on a piece of shit starter from China to prove this, and yours has another 100,000 miles left in it. Solve the problem, replace only what's needed.

Place in neutral with the e brake on. Pull the small Black/Yellow wire off the solenoid. Use an old wrench and touch it across the positive battery cable where it is bolted to the starter lug and touch the small terminal where the Black/Yellow wire was connected. Expect the starter to crank the engine and a few sparks. Do NOT allow the wrench to touch any other part of the vehicle.

Engine cranks???? Yes? there is no or very weak start signal from the ignition switch.

• Like 1

Well before I changed the starter and plugs it wouldn't turn over just like now but even before that she was having really bad hesitation issues while driving so I screwed with the carb and then she just wouldn't turn over anymore also why is there no fuel in the fuel filter near the carb I'm lost ratsun and I'm very depressed because I feel like I'm not a good enough owner for my babies

• Like 1

Well, if it's not turning over then there won't be any fuel in the filter because it has to actually turn over to make the fuel pump pump (unless it's an electric pump, that is).

Screwing with the carb won't make it not turn over.   Unless you dumped so much fuel in the intake it hydrolocked.  But pulling the plugs would have certainly found that.

Unless you're confusing "turning over" with "starting".   But I assume it's not turning over (cranking) if you changed the starter. 

Are you sure you didn't just drain the battery trying to start it after fiddling with the carb (when the problem sounds more like it was originally just a clogged fuel filter)?

• Like 2

Please verify for us, you may have already, are you confusing turning over  with NOT starting?  If it is NOT turning over with the key, try, as Mike suggested, either a screw driver from the big lug on the solenoid to the small spade connector, or get yourself a remote starter with a trigger or button.  If the starter will spin the motor but will not start, be sure you have voltage at the (+) side of the coil and a wire that goes from the (-) side of the coil to the distributor.  If the starter will not spin the motor with the key, find yourself and "hot shot" relay  and wire it in.  I had 2 602's and had to use the relay on both.

• Like 1

Sadly the starter isn't "new" unless you bought it from Nissan.  If it came from a chain store, particularly if it came with a "lifetime warranty" it's basically an old wore out starter that's been cleaned and painted and had badly installed new brushes put in by some 25c/hr sweatshop worker in a 3rd world country.  Really, rebuilt/remanufactured starters and alternators from any chain shop are usually crap, and always a crapshoot.  I've had so many DOA ones it's not even remotely humorous.   I've had better luck with ones I pulled out of the mud at a wrecking yard.

• Like 2

Yeh turning over/starting I figured they were the same sorry but yeh I'm getting nothing just a click when I turn the key the battery cables are fine evrything to do with the battery is clean bare metal

Does the engine turn with the starter???

Yes.... the starter is working

No..... the starter is not working

The click sound is the starter solenoid. It's an electrical switch turned on and off by the turn of the ignition switch in the cab. It should connect the battery to the starter windings. If only clicking there ate two possibilities...

1/ The battery has run down from repeated starting tries

2/ The starter solenoid is bad....

Hope you kept your old starter because you've probably just spent $60 on a piece of shit starter from China to prove this, and yours has another 100,000 miles left in it. Solve the problem, replace only what's needed.

• Like 1

Electric starter motors draw hundreds of amps and the dash lights hardly any. If the battery is low or cables in poor shape there will be plenty for the lights but not enough for the starter to do it's job.

Thought you said there was clicking sound???

1/ Check battery is charged. A dead battery will give the same results.

2/ Check the battery cables at the battery posts. Clean and tighten them, don't forget the ground where it bolts to the head behind the fuel pump. Clean and tight. Bad connections can give these same results.

Check 1/ and 2/ first. Or we're wasting time with the starter.

• Like 2