Exhaust recommendations..

Tolkmod

So, hopefully this is the right way to ask, if not feel free to flame me without restraint.

Looking for a local Orange County SoCAL shop that can help me with upgrading and replacing my rusted and swisss cheesed out exhaust. I'm tired of breathing fumes lol

Any help would be appreciated

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most muffler shops can bend you a system. Add 1/4" to the diameter, it won't do anything but you'll feel better about it. If not tested or inspected put a glasspack in place of the cat and a turbo style muffler where your muffler was. Be sure to run a tail pipe.

The older you are the quieter you like it. Yes I'm old but I like to hear my car working (I don't mean the engine) Too much and you can't hear the bad wheel bearing until the rotor welds to the spindle, The differential locks up the rear wheels, the U joint flies apart, transmission runs dry etc... 

Well in the day you could buy pre bent pipes and mufflers and do it yourself. For an old car it would have to be custom bent so they would have to look at it and figure out the length, number of bends, hangers, mufflers, shop time and generally how difficult to do. It won't be cheap but will last a long time

Most muffler shops can bend you a system. Add 1/4" to the diameter, it won't do anything but you'll feel better about it. If not tested or inspected put a glasspack in place of the cat and a turbo style muffler where your muffler was. Be sure to run a tail pipe.

Agreed!  I had my local muffler shop fabricate a replacement for my "unobtainium" RL411 down draft pipe with the weird "sqish: intoa D cross section the clear the steering rear" from the exhaust manifold to the pre muffler [resonator] connection from standard 2 inch exhaust piping.  A little innovative welded connection to the stock exhaust system and it was drive away silent!  These folks are experts!  Give them a shot at your "problem" and you will most likely be satisfied!

I think it's more of an art than push some buttons on a console.  Here a recommendation about someone with mad skills would help. Someone who can look at a three dimensional space an free form bend a pipe to fit it.

Ask several shops who's the best for this see if the same name comes up.  Who would know better who kicks their ass.

I made my own exhaust system, used that flexible pipe they sell at auto parts stores, 25" glass pack snugged under the driveline and a shorty magnaflo in the spot the original muffler was, but that's just me, I like DIY and challenging my work over pro (when I'm sure if I Fuck up it won't create havoc)

lol  well, that's kinda why i was looking for a local shop that did this kinda thing.  Because i KNOW i would screw it up and create all kinds of havoc.  

Working with metal isn't in my bag of tricks.  Need me to rewire your car, set up a sound system?  I'm  your guy!! Mechanics and especially anything needing any kind of welding is out of my wheelhouse

One thing I've been seeing around here, at least with Meineke, is that they are not even bending pipes anymore. If it requires any sort of "custom" work, they can't do it. I had some prebent tail pipes put on my car, and they did a reasonably priced,  awesome job welding them up and putting them on. I took my truck down there to get a muffler welded on, and they just couldn't do it because it required some bends in the pipe after the cat. Give it a try at Midas or Meineke, perhaps it's different in your area..

I haven't been to a shop in ages but most had tons of storage and commonly used pipes in stock. Then it became more efficient to have a hydraulic pipe bender and some sort of bending information to operate it by to turn out any stock system you wanted. Rather than trying to stock all that pipe. If it is totally custom then the guy doing the work has to pretty much be an artist.

Pretty much every city has it's preferred muffler shops and they usually aren't the name brand guys. I just googled "Orange County muffler shops" and came up with a couple promising results. I would say any shop with a hotrod or muscle car parked out front is going to be the one you take your car to.

These guys look like they know their stuff - http://www.autoexcellenceonline.com/muffler-exhaust.html

Add 1/4" to the diameter, it won't do anything but you'll feel better about it.

Mike... you should be a little more excited about finding free horsepower.

Of course it will do something. I would go bigger than that...and it will definitely do something.

• Like 1

Mike... you should be a little more excited about finding free horsepower.

Of course it will do something. I would go bigger than that...and it will definitely do something.

On a race car that sees full throttle and RPMs. For a stock vehicle not worth it. You need good exhaust velocity from a 'small' pipe for regular driving. I'm guessing a stock B-210 runs a 1.5" exhaust pipe? Going to 1.75" is a 36% increase in cross sectional area. That's huge to me. 

I made my own exhaust system, used that flexible pipe they sell at auto parts stores, 25" glass pack snugged under the driveline and a shorty magnaflo in the spot the original muffler was, but that's just me, I like DIY and challenging my work over pro (when I'm sure if I Fuck up it won't create havoc)

Hey,  I second that flexible pipe. Works great! after it gets a little rust on it, its just like a rigid pipe. No restrictions in the bends either.

• Like 1

Fantasy Muffler in Buena Park - 6761 Stanton Ave, Buena Park, CA 90621

They do awesome work, my dad and I have taken several of our American cars and trucks to them and they are always great.

Or Anchor Muffler off Anacrime blvd is another old school shop.

760 N Anaheim Blvd, Anaheim, CA 92805

Google either name for the phone number

• Like 1

On a race car that sees full throttle and RPMs. For a stock vehicle not worth it. You need good exhaust velocity from a 'small' pipe for regular driving. I'm guessing a stock B-210 runs a 1.5" exhaust pipe? Going to 1.75" is a 36% increase in cross sectional area. That's huge to me. 

We'll agree to disagree then. You don't need full throttle all the time to realize the HP difference. Throttle response, power and torque are all improved with a larger exhaust.

Heck, you can even improve mileage by going up a size or two.

Agreed,  I disagree. Removing flow restriction like a full quiet muffler and to some extent very tight poorly made bends will help. Pipe size alone, not so much... unless the engine is modified and raced at ultra high RPMs. Then the exhaust volume increase can need and use a larger pipe. The higher gas speed helps extract the exhaust from the cylinder. Run the smallest pipe you can that is not restrictive at the normal RPMs you run at.