Coolant spraying out No 4 cylinder

az_rat210

I have been using up water, so today I retightened the cylinder head bolts to 51 ft lbs (in pattern).  Warmed up the motor then went to adjust valves.  In the process something seems to have broken badly as with spark plugs removed the No 4 cylinder is spray water out on the compression stroke.

No water in the oil yet, but Head Gasket or do you think I might have cracked the block on this A15 with A14 H89 Head.

Thoughts?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1/ One way or the other the head has got to come off to change the head gasket. Start with that first.

2/ the head is now off. Time to check it to see if it is warped and the likely cause of the blown head gasket, or not.

3/ a/ head is warped. Send out and have it planed down flat.

3/ b/ head is flat.

4/ install a/ or b/ head with new gasket, torque in at least two stages and in the proper order, generally from the middle out towards the two ends.

5/ congratulate yourself and take a ride, keeping eye on temp gauge.

• Like 1

Drain the coolant from it RIGT NOW and stop driving it. If coolant sits in a cylinder bore, the rings rust to the bore. Every time you crank the motor, the rusted rings break free and leave rust pitting behind. The bore can be seriously damaged by rust. If water sits long enough in the bore, the rings will rust solid and the motor will lock up and the block will need to be bored.

Once you have the head off, inspect the bores.

Do I want a head gasket for an A15 or for an A14.  It's an A15 block with an H89 Oval Port A14 head on it.  With all the years I have been working on my own cars, this will be the first time I have gone into a motor.  Suggestions on the best head gasket along with prayers the head is not warped.

• 1 month later...

I have the head gasket replaced and copper coated.  Torqued the bolts down in sequence 3 stages last at 52 lbs.   Old oil still looks good so I was think I will run it with some ATF first to clean it then do an oil change and at the same time run a vinegar/watter  mix through the cooling system to flush it.  Let is sit over night, retorque the bolts and the oil change and add proper coolant.

I think that should do it as long as the head gasket has a good seal.

• Like 1

I just replaced the head gasket, and when I put water in the cooling system is pours out the back of the head right where the gasket is. The freeze plug and heater connection all stay nice and dry.  Maybe the gasket slipped or a piece of dirt or rock got under there between me blowing it clean, recleaning the surfaces and then putting on the gasket and head.  But it is definitely between the head and block.

• Like 1

Did you use copper coat on a composition (paper type) head gasket? Copper coat is meant for either copper or sometimes MLS head gaskets. That may be your problem. Another thought, did you check all the passages lined up correctly? While rare, it could be a defective gasket. Not too hard to pull an A series head to double check.

• Like 1

Can there be an upside down to these gaskets?  All the holes lined up even if I flipped it end for end; I made sure of that.  I did copper coat the gasket which should have helped it seal better.  Bear in mind I have only put the vehicle back together, it has yet to be run and the cooling system is not under pressure.  This leak is like a bucket with no bottom.

I purchased a DNJ head kit but the head gasket actually sucked.  None of the water passage holes lined up on it so I used another gasket I had.   The gasket used is a multilayer, metal sheet in the middle between an upper and lower layer of something.

Your problem is the DNJ (also known as ROCK) head gasket, they are CRAP, I have been building motors for over 40 years and I refuse to use them

Contact  Mike Green at Motor Power, Inc.  They sell Nissan Forklift parts

http://motorpower.net/pricing/a15.html

Tell him that Richard in Arizona asked you to call.  I use them for Datsun Roadster parts.

I used a DNJ kit on my build.. it was pretty low grade. No issues with the head gasket, but the other gaskets were bad. Exhaust flange gasket... not even usable, the intake/exhaust gasket leaks, the rear main side seals... fucking forget about it. I had to buy a felt pro rear main seal kit just for the side seals so I figured I'd install actual felt pro rear main also.

Bottom line... shit shit shit.

I don't care if you have a head gasket made out of cotton rope, it shouldn't leak "buckets" of water. I don't think the gasket is your problem, per se.

Look for an extra dowel in the block or head...?

Maybe a wire got pinched or the head bolts are bottoming out before they tighten the gasket...?

Is it all the same stuff that you took apart? You're not using a new head or new head bolts or anything like that?

• Like 1

Same head, new head gasket with copper sealant.  And my thought is it should not have leaked with out pressure either.  If it had waited until the system was presurrized then I would say I screwed up on the gasket or surface.  I will be disassembling it again to see what happened.  It is the same head and bolts, and something getting into the bolt passages while I was not looking has occurred to me.

I will just have to try again.