Engine swap I'd do if I had skill

comply

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like an old Camaro. Specifically, no idea.

That Benz motor is from my Mother's SLK.

I'm actually really wanting to do a supercharged KA, but again my lack of skill/tools is preventing it :( I love the sound of superchargers' whine

Don't know what that was, but DAMN it is huge. :eek:

That would be the first engine swap where you would have to move the driver's seat to thr rear bumper.

I was thinking this engine looks fast... oj4evq.jpg

they are. i have had the opportunity to drive an Audi with that motor. A4 if memory serves. or maybe an A6. either way it was fast. not as fast as the Bi-Turbo model but fast.

Yes.

I work on them at a museum. Real, running ones.

In boats.

They go very fast. Imagine 6700lbs of wooden boat doing 130MPH. We ran 5 of them on Lake Chelan on Saturday.

You should posts some pic's of the boats, those things are f'n sweet, in a historically sense...of course.. :cool:

http://thunderboats.smugmug.com/

Trying to find pics from our "fun run" last weekend... so far no one's put any online.

From last year (2007):

http://thunderboats.smugmug.com/gallery/3608452_xQe5i#205305775_YJbXp

The "Miss Burien" is my baby. I'm the crew chief, and that's me standing at the tail (kinda long story why I was standing there all by myself

This link was from tri-cities last year:

http://thunderboats.smugmug.com/gallery/3315390_HMS4m#184432250_J4ggS

4 vintage boats on the course at once; 3 are original 1960s boats and one is a recreation of a 1955-vintage boat that was destroyed in 1957.

3 of those boats, including the Miss Burien, run a 1710-cubic inch supercharged V12 Allison from a WWII P38 Lightning. The other (the green boat, the 1963 Miss Bardahl) runs a 1650-cubic inch Rolls Royce (Packard built) Merlin engine from a P51 Mustang.

Yes, people have put them in cars, typically for Bonneville speed records. But the big problem is parts- you can't just go to the local NAPA for anything except the spark plugs (we run thread adapters to use standard racing plugs vs aero plugs that cost around $20 each- 24 per engine!). And you thought getting parts for a Datsun was hard!

Thats Vulcans hot sexy 80's mullet rocker comaro! I kind of know this guy that got to drive it once, something about how his mom is dating Vulcan? Don't remember the whole story but it sounded pretty cool. Still not as cool as when I saw him on Millplain street tuning that thing, lol! Man those twin scrollers sound amazing!!!!

Oh and whats with all the german engines that break down and then catch fire when you turn your back on them? Those v6 audi engines are always burnt to a crisp when I find them in the J-yard. Wicked powerful ya, but its typical German engineering, awesome until it breaks. Then they swear up and down its something YOU did not an engineering accident.

In the machining world the German machines are OVER the top with features and super cool WOW features. However they break all the time and for like the stupidist reasons cause a bunch of other follow up issues. The engineers on one particular brand "Gildemeister" are all super german and wont hear crap about the engineering flaws with the machines. The japanese machines will take serious abuse but don't have the flash. PLus when they break the application engineers are always very interested and love sending feedback to the company who makes them. Japanese cars seem to love abuse and they might not be the flashiest but they get the job done/ done well. Stick with japanese powa!

Anyway, sorry for the novel but this is just my experience when dealing with the sauerkrauts! peace.

if i had an unlimited wallet, i would drop a vq37de with a custom intercooled magnuson super charger with a side draft weber on the rear of the supercharger. and of course the a six speed to go with it.

i will also continue to dream.

• 2 weeks later...