Why don't people understand dogs are supposed to pant in hot weather?

So this is my own fault.  Went to the parent's with the dog.  Decide to stop at Lowe's on the way home.  It's a hot day.  Dog is in the back of the wagon.  I leave the rear windows down and go in to get some sprinkler stuff.  5 minutes later, I come out, and I see from across the parking lot my hatch is open.  I get over there and there's about 3 people, all my windows and doors are open and they're putting water on Molly.

I get up to the car and the first "good samaritan" informs me "That dog was going down!"  I ignore him.  I explain, the ac was on, I left the rear windows down and the dog can do a 6 mile run in this weather.  (That was bullshit.  She used to be able to.)  Anyway, I explain yes, she's panting because it's hot, she always pants, but she does like the extra attention and like I said, I've been gone 5 minutes.  Anyway, some lady suggests maybe I should leave her at home on such hot days.  She's nice about it, not sure if she was the off-duty human officer whose call I missed to come back to my car.  Retrieved that info off Molly's tag.  Anyway, I start closing up my doors and the would be savior crowd dissipates.

Next time, I'm going to take the dog into Lowes and tell them to piss off, it's a service animal.  I understand the wanting to prevent cruelty or death to animals in hot cars (and babies), but for pete's sake, why are people so stupid?  Why don't they understand dogs can't sweat, thus they pant?

I do appreciate the thought, however misguided it may be.  F me, I must be a dog abuser.  And that said, now that we're home, the dog shirked off the ac in the house and went outside to lay in the hot sun. ;)

Oh, and I stopped at the rest area to check Molly out after leaving the Lowes.  Glad I did, they had about 10 ice cubes that she was laying on. F a duck.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

gotta say man, as a person with a service animal lying about it hurts the community that rely on their animals for true service work :/

but i feel your pain, id tell em to piss of either way and just keep going into lowes. they wont call the police 

Edit, and im pretty sure lowes lets dogs in i know home depot does 

Yeah, that's just it.  Really, the woman was right.  Seeing as I purposefully took the dog with me, I should left the hatch open to begin with and just put a leash on her.  People just freak out over the littlest things.  Fortunately the do-gooders were at least intelligent enough to see that the rear windows were open and just unlocked the doors.  Actually they might not have been that smart.  I didn't lock the hatch, so they just opened it.  Had they broken my hatch, I would have been super pissed.

The video is so true.  Self-righteous morons sticking their nose where it doesn't belong.  However, I'll give them a pass because it was a hot day and the dog was in the back, and she was hot.  Not fucking dying, just hot.

• Like 3

Don't get me started.......

I've had regular visits from the humane society cuz people think they know better than the one who has raised him since he was 5 weeks old......

......what do I know.......

• Like 2

If they were to soak my dog.....it would actually bring him to near death......

......his fur is what keeps him cool......if it's wet....it's not as efficient for him........

He NEVER wets himself....he will actually lay out in the sun on 80-90* days for short periods of time.....

......weird.....

• Like 2

Edit, and im pretty sure lowes lets dogs in i know home depot does

Every time I spy on Lowes, I've never seen an animal in there so I'm not sure about them. We (Home Depot) actually encourage people to bring their animals. I know my store has treats at most of the registers for dogs.

• Like 1

Every time I spy on Lowes, I've never seen an animal in there so I'm not sure about them. We (Home Depot) actually encourage people to bring their animals. I know my store has treats at most of the registers for dogs.

But not their guns....

I wandered into crapnadian tire last summer and noticed dog in a car parked near me in 30+c. After over an hour in the store it was the same situation when I came back out, so I took my new vicegrip easy adjust channellock pliers and smashed the driver side. Granted it was a newer car so I didn't really give a shit, but when the pooch came to the busted side for a head scratch and you could feel the heat pouring out I knew that I had done the right thing.

• Like 2

Picking up Lysol this morning at Walmart ,, lady in front of me has THE cutest Boston terrier puppy ever..  Pays with EBT (as she had to pay cash for certain things welfare card won't cover) ,,,,,,,,, going out door i walk past her and greeter talking and dog owner says ,,  "Yeah $450. dollars does seem like alot"  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :sneaky: :sneaky:   

Serously :sneaky:

• Like 1

Good thing you weren't in Calif. You would have went to jail and your dog would end up in the impound yard.... Tree huggin frog lickers can't keep their noses out of other peoples business.

• Like 3

Ever noticed that EVERYONE that owns a dog claims it a rescue dog?Well it sure is here. Haven't seen a 'normal' mut in years. Ten years ago they all claimed that their dog was pure bred. It's the new norm. There are likely puppy mills out there selling to retail dog outlets that sell them as 'rescue' animals to idiot people that just want to have a fashion accessory.

• Like 1

Wow, just wow!

It's friggin 97 degrees outside yesterday and my yellow lab is sitting/laying on the back patio panting and sounding like a steam locomotive; tounge hanging out, what seems like a foot from his lower jaw, drooling like a teething toddler.  They go in and out from the sun all the time and they can take more heat than some people understand.  Just need to make sure they have water....

• Like 1