Hello from Ireland - Introduction

Hello everyone,

I am new here and thought it would be nice to introduce myself.

Looking back at my car history - I have always owned  a German car.

I have lurked here for some time mostly watching Z builds especially 280zx builds.  Looking to build one of those and I am searching for some answers.

I recently came across one for sale 83' 280zx 2+2 auto and here comes my request. Can someone point me in the direction of 280zx model comparison.

Is the 2.8L auto a good engine worth to look at or the manual or 2.8 turbo is a better choice?

What to look/check for when buying one?

Any help much appreciated...

Bartek/Burner

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun Burner.

Is one better than the other? Depends what better means to you. Automatics and standards are both fine cars to drive and have the same engine in them.  Simply put...

Auto........... less fun to drive............. easier/simpler to drive.

Standard... more sporty to drive....... more hand/eye/left foot coordination needed to drive

Turbo.... adds 20-30? more HP, less gas mileage and comes in auto or standard.

Seeing has how most members of this forum are located in the Continental US, asking about parts availability in Ireland is moot. The automatic transmissions in these vehicles are very strong, but must be serviced to stay in good shape. Datzenmike is definitely the guy to be asking about those, though.

Welcome, by the way :)

The sad true about availability of anything car related in Ireland is that anything out of ordinary and for any vintage car have to be imported.

I wasn't asking about availability in Ireland, just overall.

Thank you for the answer and welcome :)

I had an 81 automatic for 8 years when it was already 20years old. Never gave a hint of trouble. Wish I had a stick every damn time I sat in it. I have a stick 5-speed now firm a non turbo z and the gears seem to be all good even though it's very old. There has been trouble with the bushings on the actual stick. But those parts are easily source able and light to ship.

I'd say, automatics are plenty reliable, but less people want/use them. Standard 5-speeds from the zx are quite popular in z's as well as other models. Therefore there is more interest in parts. Typically this will ensure availability of replacement parts. Currently you will not have too much trouble since you've found Ratsun.

Edit: Welcome. I hope you talk like the folks in County Cork.

• Like 1

I would say that standards can be abused more easily than an automatic.

Automatics are in gear all the time and shifts are... well, automatic with maximum shift points built in. In theory an automatic can run the life of the car without changing the fluid. However I would recommend changing it every 30K miles just so you are in there giving it a look over, if nothing else. Heat is about the only reason for the ATF to fail so never tow with an automatic. If the oil ever discolors, change it ASAP and you are good to go. An external, in line oil cooler, is a good insurance policy for any automatic.

Standards can be subjected to severe shock 7K RPM clutch side steps and poor clutch foot and shift lever coordination. (grinding) on up and down shifts by novice owners. On top of this a clutch hydraulic system failure can add even more wear. Standards are very strong but they have more potential for being abused by previous owners. 

It's very hard to drive the shite out of an automatic and most good condition Datsun survivor cars are... automatics.

• Like 3

Welcome to ratsun! You'll get a lot of great advice here (as you can see). I've had my Datsun since it was 8 years old and it's an automatic. The car is now 33 years old and still runs like a champ. I can tell you back in the day I drove the shit out of that car and took it :)Tranny only went out once and that was nearly 20 years ago. I do keep up maintenance and that definitely will prolong the life of your car. I recently had the tranny and carb rebuilt which was part of my restoration on it. Only one engine rebuild in all the years I've had it. They're great cars and I think a manual vs automatic is also a personal choice. Both are great. I've driven both. Up to you but I don't think you'd be disappointed either way. If you get it we will want to see pictures.

• Like 4

It's very hard to drive the shite out of an automatic and most good condition Datsun survivor cars are... automatics.

SO true. Both my 78Z and 72 510 are automatics, and are complete.

On the other hand, my 4-speed stick is almost a rolling carcass. But is strong- is a Datsun!

turbo, non turbo, auto, manual..... all will function just fine. (providing its not something thats had the shit kicked out of it already)

It depends on what you want to do with the car and what you want out of the car.

a turbo manual is going to yield the most fun IMO

and if you want to build up some more power already having a turbo motor will make it that much easier.

If your trans goes bad your generally going to have an easier time finding another manual trans.

Burner:

Well, since you're already on here- I have to confess that Ireland is most definitely a place I've been wanting to visit OR, even move to sometime in the future. The ladies are just too darn irresistible there. I've met a few here, since high school!

;-) Just a thought! Lol

Thank you for all the replies, much appreciated.

Old "Z" are very hard to come by in here. I came across one since ages and my interest build up.

Answering what I want from the car - I'd like to rebuilt it and keep it. It will be a second car besides daily.

Burner:

Well, since you're already on here- I have to confess that Ireland is most definitely a place I've been wanting to visit OR, even move to sometime in the future. The ladies are just too darn irresistible there. I've met a few here, since high school!

;-) Just a thought! Lol

Lol. Ireland is definitely friendly place to visit and live in. I am Polish myself living here for over 10 years. Unfortunately I can't say much about how irresistible Irish women are as I am married for almost as long as we live in here. My wife is Polish too.

Lol. Ireland is definitely friendly place to visit and live in. I am Polish myself living here for over 10 years. Unfortunately I can't say much about how irresistible Irish women are as I am married for almost as long as we live in here. My wife is Polish too.

Lol. Well, for now you put in a good word for me while I get there! Lol :-D

• Like 1

Ahhhhhhh.....Polish.....two words......Spirytus and Żubrówka!

My understanding is that it's quite a distance between pubs in Ireland, so an automatic will make it easier to hold your drink.  :w00t:

GO AUTOS! HAHAHAH!!!

• Like 1

I hated my auto zx, the car was a cherry T top but a complete dog due to the auto. It did cruise nicely but was super sluggish off the line. The electric torque converter did save my ass when a thrown fan belt cut my trans lines, I was able to get it across a bridge with no shoulder and get to the off ramp. Damn thing survived being run dry and ran fine after fixing the lines and refilling, I tried repeatedly to kill the bastard but never did. I can't begin to remember how many neutral drops it was put through trying to get it off the line quickly. L28 is bullet proof too. Good strong car but held back by an auto.

I like your sense of humour folks :) Whiskey is the drink to go now but your are right - Auto ROCKS :)

Thank you, brother. Glad you embrace us, thank you!

Now autos:...

Well, have you heard of standard/ stick shifts- Ferraris, Bentleys, or even Bugattis? (Spelling may not be precise)...

Uuuh, No.

One more welcome Burner. Ratsun is the bang on spot for Z advice.

From the sound of it, you may have to settle for what you can get vs what you want. That being said, if you plan to "rebuild" it can you modify it in the process, or are you limited to the stock configuration to get it registered?  If you have some latitude, maybe you can put together what you like/want. Understood that the closer you can get with the original purchase car the better, but...

No matter what, I would swap an auto trans out for a manual every time. The Z is a super fun sports car to drive, and an auto wouldn't provide 100% of that thrill. Just my $.02.

Best of luck, and I hope to see your build thread on here soon. 

As was said above, Automatic Transmissions are the way to go for longevity!  I am driving a 47 year old Datsun with the original Engine and Transmission.  The British Borg Warner Transmission is so sturdy that it is still being produced and used.  I just ordered a full rebuild parts kit and a gaskets only kit to store in my parts hoard against the day I may need them!  Of course I had to order the parts against a 1979 Volvo 144, they still use them and USA suppliers have no corporate memory of the British Borg Ward transmission!  It may be an automatic but it has embarased many a BMW 1600, 2002 etc.

Sorry for the Latin Script but "Slainte Gael."