My First 720. And First Datsun!

Brohemius

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Grabbed an engine stand tonight, only paid 20 bucks! 20150618_194103_zpsjppcjtzt.jpg

Now i have a stand to build the lz23 on :)

Also while at harlows today he hooked me up with a connector to make my tachometer works! Oics of the working tac next time i drive it.

That photo of my interior without seats if before cleanup fyi, i didnt get one after.

Ratsun pin will be mounted in my shift knob soon aswell.

Still need to install this stuff! Along with bearings.14294286190121645875729_zpsfg6apiyq.jpg

• Like 1

So after talking with my machinist/engine builder friend i think im going to do a v6 swap.

My questions to ratsun are, how much fabrication should i expect to do? And how long do you think my rear end will hold up to the power increase?

The machinist told me there should be very little fab necessary with the engine he is thinking about using.

• Like 1

Minimum motor mounts, trans mount, driveshaft(s). Rear end will take a good flogging for a good while. The 200mm rear ends can survive mid 200s hp just fine. If it goes beyond that just swap to a hardbody hb233 rear axle. It's a little wider but manageable and can handle almost anything you throw at it. Everything else will just have to be figured out as you go along. What engine are you thinking?

• Like 1

Thanks for the input lockleaf! We had already discussed my machinist customizing my driveshaft. And the motor/tranny mounts are a must.

As for the rear end, we had discussed a ford 9 inch in the future. not sure how that stacks against the hb233 axle though?

Al chime in here since your the only person who i know of who has done a v6 swap in a datsun!!

• Like 1

Hb233 measures out at 9 1/4 inches. Strength wise, it is considered by off-road guys to be noticeably stronger than a Dana 44, but a little bit weaker than a Dana 60. That ring and pinion is also what was installed in turbo z32s so it can take a serious beating. They also have disc brake options available and hey it keeps it in the Nissan family.

Also there is this guys build. http://steverr.tripod.com/Index.html

• Like 1

Thanks for the info again lockleaf!!

Ill look into rear end options once i get a down payment on the motor.

What would you guys say is a fair price for a complete engine rebuild, complete remachining of everything, ported head, custom drive shaft, motor mounts, tranny support, fab work, and basically everything it needs to get into my truck and run?

Would love some feedback.

• Like 1

What would you guys say is a fair price for a complete engine rebuild, complete remachining of everything, ported head, custom drive shaft, motor mounts, tranny support, fab work, and basically everything it needs to get into my truck and run?

This is actually an incredibly difficult question. There are a huge number of variables. Most important questions - what engine, attached to what trans. Machining prices vary by where you are located. Cheap engine rebuild kits cost 1/3 of what top quality rebuild kits cost. Custom fabrication prices are all over the place.

Where I live, a six cylinder head, decking it and machining valve seats, New valve stern seals, but insisting using old valve train will run about $200 a head. Bore and hone is about $25 per cylinder. Decking block around $125. Line bore about $100. Any other work is about $100 -125 an hour.

Custom fab is around $75-125 per hour around here. How many hours of work it will take will depend on how much effort it takes to install the engine swap and how good/fast the fabricator is.

Exhaust, plan on at least $300.

Driveshafts, very minimum I would expect is $200 but likely more.

Custom electrical work gets stupid expensive stupid fast.

Honestly, I wouldn't plan on less than $4000 total if you are paying someone to do the work. It could easily go beyond that. If you are doing things yourself, everything changes and be done for much less.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback lockleaf! Very helpful. I was quited considerably less than 4k for all i mentioned, so im glad to know ill be getting a deal.

Swapped my wheels/tires last night, for some slotted mags. No pics of the wheels. My lady got this pic though lol.20150711_234602_zpszqf87rix.jpg

Ill throw some oics up of the wheels tonight.

• Like 1

Headed over to Denmarkboy's house yesterday and finally did my front end work!20150713_193238_HDR_zpszlc76t7m.jpg

Unbolted all the old bs hardware.20150713_142555_HDR_zpsnbrdwnow.jpg

Seems long overdue. Shit was crusty and worn.20150713_142612_HDR_zps6qoi8xqq.jpg

Lower ball joint area also crazy dirty.20150713_142623_HDR_zpsfcusqcp6.jpg

Hub off and ready for the ball joints to be pounded out.20150713_144016_HDR_zpsuuupgone.jpg

This is where the lower ball joint bolts on... So nasty.20150713_144030_HDR_zpspfclkpqs.jpg

New parts installed on drivers side.20150713_163543_HDR_zpswk1fiwdc.jpg

Spindle back on and ready for bearings on driver side.20150713_163535_HDR_zpskzdbo3wj.jpg

Onto the passenger side. And midway through the day, here is the mess so far.

20150713_165315_HDR_zpswwqp8tn4.jpg

Tie rods and idler arm installed on passenger side. (Despite the major nasty when the lower ball joints bolts up there was no rust when i cleaned it up a bit)20150713_184532_HDR_zps7vpo7tvy.jpg

Ball joints bolted up.20150713_192745_HDR_zpsoy8drhlw.jpg

And spindle back on passenger side ready for bearings.

20150713_192748_HDR_zpsnghuwvt7.jpg

No pictures of the bearing job because, well... GREASE!

And on a side note the little hookers radiator blew while Al took me for a ride to the auto parts store... Bum deal. Atleast it was a good ride :) .

Thanks again for the help and knowledge Al. I appreciate it greatly.

• Like 4

Thanks guys! It was fun but my brain was burnt out by the end... I lost my ratchet and then al pointed at the caliper wich the ratchet was hanging from :) .

Alignment... I basically tried to set the tie rods to match the old ones. So not really an alignment to speak of haha.

Im gonna get it aligned by the weekend, the tires squeal pretty good around even moderate turns.

Merging onto 126 it was a long enough squeal to smell some rubber.

Atleast my bearing dont sound like railway hand carts now.

• Like 1

Decided to mount up a delete plate while i was bored tonight.

Masked of the big areas, just cause.

20150715_215439_HDR_zpss2mhgbz8.jpg

Touched up with some silver.

20150715_220519_HDR_zpssvphzqwo.jpg

Backing plate mocked up. (i painted it black before mounting it.)20150715_224239_HDR_zpsqtiiu26d.jpg

And the delete plate done and mounted.20150715_235355_HDR_zps9a563ahz.jpg

Looks better than the giant hole did.

I made it so it should pop out when i get a better center console.

• Like 1

Brohemius are you interested in a set of the voly oil gauges that go on the console?  I have a console I do not need.  I will take pictures in the next couple of days and post them.

Is you console a 2WD or a 4WD?

I will pm you.

• Like 1

Thanks charlie, my truck is 2wd, and so is the console i believe.

Found a new bed for my truck! Getting the bed and floorboards from a donor rig. Maybe some other stuff.

Also have paint in the works...

Lots of plans... Lets see how much i execute.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...