My First 720. And First Datsun!

Brohemius

I had a similar sounding problem, but it may be different- so beware! If I left my (weber equipped) 720 overnight, the next morning, it would barely crank. If I hit it four or five times, it would crank enough to start. This is hard on the ignition switch and the starter. In my case, I believe it was due to having the float bowl setting to high, allowing fuel to spill into the manifold and cylinders as it sat. As soon as I adjusted the float bowl height, the problem was banished.

• Like 3
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cruised out to the pacific ocean today!

IMG_20150319_181358180_HDR_zps4ct1dyhw.j

Thanks charlie!! The ac does indeed work i just want to find a boot in better shape. last time i unplugged that one 20% of it turned to dust. And i want to wash my engine bbay, so i want my connections to be water resistant atleast.

Also thank you to everyone else who posted advice for me!

Very very much appreciated!

Trip to the coast yesterday.20150319_181358_zps7p65hdmy.jpg

Sweet.....!!

• Like 1

Check your battery connections, make sure they are clean, I always carry a big screwdriver with me, when it starts that clicking thing I just bypass the starter solenoid, and jump the two main posts together on the starter solenoid, and it cranks right over, it seems to be a 720 thing if it's not the battery connections.

• Like 1

Thanks svn20. Ill be looking for one of those locally.

Charlie! Ignition switch has been on my list for a while lol, my key is on its last leg... its worn smooth.

20150322_020139_zpsonyewfys.jpg

So very thin!20150322_020155_zpswhpsgloc.jpg

Oh and i can take it out while the truck is running :)

Thanks Al! Loving the truck. Ive got a gift for you at the next work party.

Tried my hand at some sketching. Im pondering paint schemes...

Dont be to hard on me, its my first automotive art.20150322_014959_HDR_zpsfx4itejb.jpg

• Like 2

Gradyfest Ill throw up a photo of the rattle can i used for the lid when i get home. I dont think it says what color it is on the can though.

EDIT: here ya go gradyfest. Rustoleum is where its at.

I used this to prime after a vigorous sanding with 200grit.

20150323_165723_HDR_zpsmsmui69t.jpg

Then used this "harbor blue" enamel. I think the white prime coat helped it get a closer color match

20150323_165656_HDR_zpsetryixua.jpg

Color label.

20150323_165706_HDR_zpsoepbfuae.jpg

Joecool we just get lucky!!

• Like 3

So im looking to make a rock auto order, but im unsure if any of the ignition switches they have are the appropriate part.

None of the rock auto switches have the collar that goes around the steering column. So heres one im looking at ordering.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=43812&cc=1210217&jnid=608&jpid=3

Any help would be appreciated!

Oh and just because i love my truck.

ASS

20150319_181412_zpsqaatyrjo.jpg

• Like 1

Pop the screws off that hold the pieces together around the steering wheel and see if you can take just that part, that rockauto sells. I'm pretty sure it comes out of that little mounting bracket.

Good to know about the key code ggzilla.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info ggzilla. But If the key is worn way down wont the tumbler be worn aswell? So the new rekey wont fit in the ignition if the tumblers are fucked also?

Found an xterra drive shaft in the street...

20150326_202912_zpsr67xrwpm.jpg

Tomorrows list:

-change spark plugs

-change fuel filter

-change air filter

-change oil and oil filter.

Is there any specific gear oil i should use in the transmission, transfer case, and both differentials? Or do they all take standard api gl-4 80w90 gear oil?

I think i remember reading something about a specific brass part that is sensative to certain gear oils, but i cant remember what or where. Im wanting to change all fluids.