My First 720. And First Datsun!

Brohemius

Thanks for the knowledge everybody!!

Charlie, i have those same ones in my rockauto cart.

Al! Thanks im hoping to make this truck badass! As for the repairs, ya mind if i bring it to your place for the action? Youve got lots more tools than me :)

Dude got your pm also , sorry I,ve been beyond busy . And the canby giveaway truck build just got real ! 

And of course you can bring your truck over and work on it . Did you have a day in mind ?

• Like 1
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of my parts came, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, and ball joints. Still waiting on another package before i dive in.

(thanks for the ebay tip 81svn20)

20150416_162632_HDR_zpsskfgkgc6.jpg

Bearings

20150416_162648_HDR_zpslcaafel9.jpg

Should i get new wheel seals for the bearing job? Rock auto recommended it i believe.

Now more waiting... Thinking of painting the hardware i replace white.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody! Masking those bushings was a bastard!

Painted the hardware a bit.

All prepped out.

20150417_145926_zpscjx6jcua.jpg

Mostly bare metal.20150417_145936_zpswjvjboos.jpg

Light coat of primer.20150323_165723_HDR_zpsmsmui69t.jpg

20150417_150604_zps1cjyns2b.jpg

And with a coat of white.20150417_194846_zpsjdi6wt2y.jpg

I fuckin hate cardboard... Theres a few small spots but this is the worst of it. Gonna use parchment paper under stuff next time.

20150417_194910_zpsukiv2qgz.jpg

Following this with another coat of white maybe two, then several coats of clear for durability.

• Like 1

The rest of my parts came this morning. Hooray rockauto!20150418_131751_zpsgi6oralm.jpg

Gotta Always check out the merchandise.

20150418_132131_zpsniuoxjet.jpg

Wait a minute... Two different tie rod adjusting sleeves.20150418_125909_zps3ucvxryw.jpg

The one on the left is what i ordered. Hopefully they send me another of those and not the one on the right. It wasnt bagged either.

They are shipping me another... Just gotta be patient.

Gonna prep the idler arm for paint, and lay some more coats of white on the other shit.

The booster line will create a huge vacuum leak when disconnected from the booster. You will want to plug the end of the line with your thumb and then stuff the hose into the can. Don't try to pour it, just suck it out, can upright. The engine will start to stumble. When it's about to die, pull the vacuum line out of the seafoam and cap the line with your thumb again. Give the engine a couple seconds and it will smooth out and run steady. Put the line back in the seafoam and repeat the process until you've used up as much seafoam as you want. I usually use half the can. Re connect the vacuum line, let the engine sit for five or ten minutes, the then start it and run it up and down through the rpm range a few times, then drive it around until it stops smoking. Might take a couple minutes.

And yes you can put some down the carb. Pour a little while it's running, slowly. If it stumbles too much, stop and let it recover, then pour more. Whatever is left, pour in the gas tank

• Like 2

So rhino13 is over and we decided to rebuild my carb.20150419_152045_HDR_zpstiev7iyw.jpg

Some of the nuts were a bitch to get off, they put them in wierd spots.

But it came off clean.20150419_154131_HDR_zpstqpkn3iu.jpg

There was a leak in this gasket.20150419_154138_HDR_zps7epotv2y.jpg

Carb in a tub for disassembly. (to catch fluids)

20150419_154343_HDR_zpsaxykh8m0.jpg

Supplies. (also need a 12mm and some other tools. I needed a dremel for a few things. ALso needed significant force breaking some screws free. Be careful not to strip they are weak metal.)20150419_154355_HDR_zpsh6kvq4oy.jpg

Top 1/3 removed and soaking in the blue paint can. (napa carb cleaner)20150419_165131_HDR_zpshhzlcayu.jpg

Some small parts set aside.20150419_184653_HDR_zpsgi7okptf.jpg

Cleaning shit with brakekleen after soaking in the blue can.20150419_184657_HDR_zpscu8zqqke.jpg

Stuff really cleans up, elbow grease and some cleaners.20150419_194252_HDR_zpsuvcuuljj.jpg

20150419_194300_HDR_zpsnltg5zwo.jpg

Everything cleaned and dry.

20150419_210545_zps2idpsitn.jpg

Now to put it all back together!!

These things are daunting.

Rhino should put up some more pics soon.

So the first screw i tried to put back on the carb the head sheared off on the last turn (so its fully threaded in)20150420_123932_HDR_zpsijw7jtbj.jpg

The head.20150419_232025_HDR_zpslnktm7h2.jpg

This is a disaster... The screw is TINY so drilling it out without damaging the threading on the rod will be insanely difficult.

And re-tapping the rod is not an option because i would have to drill out a few other things to make them accept a larger diameter screw...

So after going back and forth several times, im biting the bullet and ordering a weber this afternoon. Also an electric fuel pump conversion for the weber. Ive been wanting to get a weber anyways, this was the deciding factor.

Ordered a weber earlier this afternoon. Gotta get a electric fuel pump kit now.

My starting issue is persisting and getting slightly worse. Gotta turn the key about 5 times when the issue arrises.

Im gonna get a new ignition cylinder soon and hope that fixes it. Anyone have a lead on a cheap or lightly used one?

• Like 1

Is your truck not already electric fuel pump? I'm fairly sure no Z engines were ever offered with a mechanical pump, at least not in the States. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

Ignition cylinder can be bought at O'Reilly for fairly cheap, rock auto may be even cheaper, but with shipping who knows.

• Like 1