my Puerto Rican inspired build

4G 210

Hi there people.

I'm sharing here and will certainly be asking a few questions along the way. Please forgive my ignorance regarding the Datsun platform.

First I'll share that I decided to build a small car for 1/8th and quarter mile racing after running my Porsche 951 in our local street outlaws series this year. It is not very well suited for 1/8th mile racing (it's barely working for 1/4 mile racing) . It runs about 130-134 at 5800 ft elevation. Very custom engine build in it. I've been drag racing all my life and have decided to get back into it on a smaller budget.

Onto the Datsun. After taking a vacation to PR and seeing how well the little cars were hooking down there, I knew exactly what I needed to do to compete towards the top of our list. Here is a list of my build specs and some images to show progress as I go. I hope this type of build is welcome here (given the different power plant)

Engine- Mitsubishi 4g63 2.0. Pretty well built Eagle. JE, HKS, custom header and intake, using DSM link on E85 and a Holset hx40 pro wheel turbo (same as my Porsche). Looking to run it to around 9000 rpms and make around 550 hp.

Trans- Th400 with 5500 converter. Mated using a CNC adapter

Rear- Ford explorer 8.8 self narrowed using two short side axles cut initially to 56" 4.10 with tracloc

Cage- SW for a toyota corolla

IC- 4" thick (should be pretty low IAT's)

I've been cutting weight as much as possible and have it down to 1600 for a starting point before the swap and cage work.

At this point, it's mini tubbed and I'm in process of getting the rear end finished up. I hope to have that done in the next couple weeks. I'm using the stock lower arm locations with a more traditional 4 link location for the uppers. The plan is to get the stronger diff in it then throw a big shot of Nitrous to the stock engine just to see if it will take it at all lol.

Our first race is in July and I'd like to be ready for it. I'm shooting for mid 5's in the 1/8th (which will make me competitive at tehetop of the list). I'm not sure how hard I'm going to go after the 1/4 since I remember very well how much money I spent on my Nova just to run 9's.

Here are a few pics of the progress so far. It's not much, but should move along quickly.

IMG_2907_zps4a749880.jpg

low%20side%20view_zpsgviffhms.jpg

fuel%20cell%20rear_zpseekboj9f.jpg

shortblock_zpsc2e8241a.jpg

weightwith5gallonsandstockengtransanddif

Porsche engine just for fun

20140704_121556_resized_zpsdb5d8c67.jpg

20140704_121556_resized_zpsdb5d8c67.jpg

My Old money pit

nova.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, the Ultimate sleeper, a 1980's 210 or 310 if that is what you call them over there in your neck of the woods. Interesting choice of engine swap and I see your already well on your way to making one (scary) fast little strip car. Can't wait to see your next pic's and how this will progress, welcome to Ratsun btw and good on ya for posting the pics!

• Like 1

Sorry, it won't let me edit, so I am making multiple posts.

A few questions

1)Looking to use larger brakes on front. I've read that the 280zx brakes may swap? If so, what's involved and what's the rotor size differential? (I'll be researching in mean time)

2) are there removable steering wheel hubs that work on these columns?

3) Where is a good source for some sheet metal? I'm specifically looking for the fenders from a '79 along with the grill etc. I like the round headlight look better and not having the large turn signals at the corners as well

• Like 2

Thank you all for the welcome. I'll use that info to source some needs.

Bigtanker, I'm in Colorado. I went to PR on vacation. My girl is from there. I was very impressed with how fast they made their cars down there. I had told her while we were at the track that one of these cars would dominate our street outlaws.

• Like 2

hey welcome,

Another 1979 210 coupe here! i was going to do the same style swap a few months back.. im kinda going a different route now. I think ive seen that Porsche around in the past. I weld for a living so if you need any welding/fab help please do ask. 

Anyways welcome and look forward to seeing ya at outlaws

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

making slow progress over the last couple weeks.

Waiting on the cage before doing the rear end, so I can tie the coil overs  into the rear down bars. I ordered a toyota corrolla cage from S&W race cars since the cars have very similar dimensions.

I have been enjoying the gas mileage in the mean time and the looks I get with the bigger tires on the rear :)

I've been collecting parts and doing some small work in the mean time. I have also started doing the welding to convert the front end to an earlier version. I need to find a grill and headlight assemblies if anyone knows where I can find them.

Couple of pics

At home after the cutting of the sheet metal to fit tires and wheels

0307151329a_zpsxttvcu5f.jpg

where the front end is at this point

0311151935a_zpskcixqc8f.jpg

Next to my other toy

0312150743b_zpsdlc3zrgf.jpg

I should get the new front wheels and tires next week. I'll upload a pic of that, bc I think it's gonna look pretty badass.

Cool build. Do you have any detail pics of the mini tub in the rear or the reworked upper links? What did the difference in width come out to be between the 8.8 and the original rear end? Sorry for so many questions, but I have thought about doing something similar.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Cool.little.car.

Used.to.be.a.guy.in.my.area.that.bracket.raced.at.our.local.outlaw.strip.with.a.Dodge.Colt.with.a.440.in.it.....it.was.STUPID.quick!

Tiny.cars+.big.horse.power.are.hard.to.beat.in.the.1/8th!

not sure if it'll be big horsepower. I'm really just looking for around 500-600. Should be very easy with this engine.

• Like 1

Wheel stands on the street is not only idiotic, it is illegal!  Do you have a lawyer on retainer?

rolleyes......

I think I can handle myself just fine. I've made it 45 years without a problem.

It's not like I'm talking about any old public street. We have a nice shop parking lot and I have a nice long driveway. I'm really meaning at the street outlaws events. IE; unprepped asphalt surface vs prepped track.

Not that I really need to explain myself to you.

Anyway back to more fun stuff.

Received a few pieces today to mock up:

12023264_10206756061931557_652654420_n%2

cleaned%20up%20firewall_zpspkyljelq.jpg

12023264_10206756061931557_652654420_n%2